Sponsored

Clicking noise when letting go of gas from slight acceleration. Is this normal?

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium

Stangpp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt premium
Yes that is the noise!
Man i hate it, im taking it in for a diagnosis to ford. Hoping they can give me a reasonable answer and not "this is normal" metal on metal grinding is definitely not a good sound.
Im thinking the previous owner rode it hard and traded it in when he heard that noise...

Last edited:

DRKHORS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang, '17 Mustang, '18 F150, '23 Mustang GT
Man i hate it, im taking it in for a diagnosis to ford. Hoping they can give me a reasonable answer and not "this is normal" metal on metal grinding is definitely not a good sound.
Im thinking the previous owner rode it hard and traded it in when he heard that noise...
My 2018 F150 5.0 with the 10R80 makes this exact noise. I'm the only owner since it was new and it certainly hasn't been abused, so I don't believe the noise to be indicative of abuse.

Keep us posted on what you find out.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
That ratcheting noise can be made by the A10 tranny or the cam phasers. If cam phasers (like on manual cars), it's only normal if made when cold. If made when engine is hot, they need to be replaced, unfortunately. By the way, the noise is made by the Borg Warner phasers, which in the case of the Coyote, are only on the intake, I believe (but it's just on one cam). On the 3.5EB engines, they're on both cams, so all 4 phasers are Borg Warner. I never heard the noise on my F-150 when driving normally; I only heard it when purposefully looking for it one day. Haven't tried that on the Bullitt yet, but haven't heard it at all in 4K miles so far.

Forgot to comment the noise was reportedly not normal on F-150 A10 trannies (mine didn't have it), but traded my truck when the issue was being discussed, so maybe Ford said it was normal, just like with the stupid tick and 2K-rattle.

Stangpp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt premium
My 2018 F150 5.0 with the 10R80 makes this exact noise. I'm the only owner since it was new and it certainly hasn't been abused, so I don't believe the noise to be indicative of abuse.

Yea for sure

Sponsored

Stangpp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt premium
That ratcheting noise can be made by the A10 tranny or the cam phasers. If cam phasers (like on manual cars), it's only normal if made when cold. If made when engine is hot, they need to be replaced, unfortunately. By the way, the noise is made by the Borg Warner phasers, which in the case of the Coyote, are only on the intake, I believe (but it's just on one cam). On the 3.5EB engines, they're on both cams, so all 4 phasers are Borg Warner. I never heard the noise on my F-150 when driving normally; I only heard it when purposefully looking for it one day. Haven't tried that on the Bullitt yet, but haven't heard it at all in 4K miles so far.

Forgot to comment the noise was reportedly not normal on F-150 A10 trannies (mine didn't have it), but traded my truck when the issue was being discussed, so maybe Ford said it was normal, just like with the stupid tick and 2K-rattle.
Do you think its damaged or damaging anything inside the engine, if it is the cam phasers?

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
No, so no worries about that. But they eventually get worse if bad, causing the engine to stall at idle. If that happens, then you'd absolutely have to replace them, but don't know how long it takes for that to happen. Are they ratcheting when engine is hot?

Stangpp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt premium
No, so no worries about that. But they eventually get worse if bad, causing the engine to stall at idle. If that happens, then you'd absolutely have to replace them, but don't know how long it takes for that to happen. Are they ratcheting when engine is hot?
It is more noticeable on cold starts at a 2k rpm rev deceleration. I havent been able to replicate the sound when it is warmed up.

(edit) actually it does happen even when warm, i heard the noise while at a drive through. the noise reverberated off the wall

Last edited:

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Then I wouldn't worry about it; seems like a normal characteristic, although not desirable. But same thing with the damn tick, the 2K-rattle, etc. It's a Ford. Ha ha.

Stangpp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt premium

So i took it in yesterday and ford kept it for around 5 hours when i got there they told me that the noise is "a normal characteristic of the engine" im at a loss but at least i have paperwork proving i took it in just incase the "engine" gets messed up later on..

Sponsored

BlueCollarDaily

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 400a
So i took it in yesterday and ford kept it for around 5 hours when i got there they told me that the noise is "a normal characteristic of the engine" im at a loss but at least i have paperwork proving i took it in just incase the "engine" gets messed up later on..
Didnt this bother you on the test drive? oh thats right bet it didnt do it.....aka not normal...

damships

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabe
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT A10 PP1 (Rapid Red)
It’s happened on two Mustangs I’ve had. Never happens until a few thousand miles into the car OR until winter comes. Ford needs to take responsibility and acknowledge this is not normal. But I know they never will and it’s discouraging. May honestly go with a Challenger next vehicle in the next few years.

Stangpp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt premium
i bought mine used
Didnt this bother you on the test drive? oh thats right bet it didnt do it.....aka not normal...
i bought mine used with 3500 miles on it and its disappointing that the return process, if i decide to go that route, is going to be difficult since it was used.

Stangpp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt premium
It’s happened on two Mustangs I’ve had. Never happens until a few thousand miles into the car OR until winter comes. Ford needs to take responsibility and acknowledge this is not normal. But I know they never will and it’s discouraging. May honestly go with a Challenger next vehicle in the next few years.

After a couple years of owning it I will probably do the same to be honest, im leaning toward a camaro though ZL1

Rjames18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Orange Fury
My 2019 F150 5.0 does the same thing. Just sounds like the throttle body clicking
Sponsored