Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
The GT350 had a warranty clause that you could track the car, but not use it for competition or timed events (no racing)

So I'm going through the 2020 GT500 owners supplement and came across the attached document that says:

What is Not Covered Under the
New Vehicle Limited Warranty?
Damage caused by:
• Abuse, competition, racing, track use
or other events.

WTF, over?

Screenshot_20201111-000523_Drive.jpg
Screenshot_20201111-000511_Drive.jpg
Sponsored

Attachments

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 Race Red
Interesting and 'track' can easily be interpreted as 1/4 mile track also.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Interesting and 'track' can easily be interpreted as 1/4 mile track also.
Yes. I went back and referred to my GT350 manual supplements. The GT350 manual does not include the previous exclusion that the GT500 does. The only thing that the GT350 manual states pertaining to warranty is as follows:

We do not recommend modifying or racing
(for competition or time) Ford
Performance vehicles, as they are designed
and built to be driven as delivered from the
factory.

As anyone can see from my first post, the GT500 manual supplement went out of its way to add exclusions. It was very specific to include "track use".

Ford designed, built, and marketed the GT500 as a performance track vehicle. Then they turn around and exclude that kind of driving from the warranty in the fine print? This is a departure from previous Ford Performance policy.

I have an email into Ford Performance pertaining to this issue. Many don't seem to realize what a big deal this is. I guess for some people, it really doesn't matter. For many, it does.

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I likely will never have this car on a road course but always occasionally take my cars to the 1/4 mile track for fun, nothing competitive just want to see what it runs. And by strict interpretation of this warranty exclusion they could deny claims because of it. So for me being on the fence about modding the motor and voiding warranty, i could just as easily void it by taking it to the 1/4 drags......

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I likely will never have this car on a road course but always occasionally take my cars to the 1/4 mile track for fun, nothing competitive just want to see what it runs. And by strict interpretation of this warranty exclusion they could deny claims because of it. So for me being on the fence about modding the motor and voiding warranty, i could just as easily void it by taking it to the 1/4 drags......
Exactly. Sure throw that tune on there.... change that pully out...... take it to the track. It about all means the same as it is written.

As the warranty reads, you would be voiding your warranty. It looks like an escape clause to me. I will wait for the reply from FP before I start making phone calls.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
WOW !!! not good news, speaks volumes, Ford talking out of both sides ?

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
WOW !!! not good news, speaks volumes, Ford talking out of both sides ?
Those are the facts as they are written. I am waiting to hear what FP has to say. Until then, as I had written to them, I hope that it was a misprint or a typo. We will see.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
So would that mean whomever buys SP’s CFTP will be buying it with no warranty? I mean, there’s quite a bit of footage showing it’s been on a track.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
We need more seedy politicians, ambulance chasing lawyers and frivolous lawsuits to protect us from ourselves. That way we could simply stop functioning as a society and not be able to get anything done. We're almost there. Rock bottom is just an arm's length away...

Seriously, I'm surprised the manual isn't more restrictive than it is. The key phrase used is damage caused by and I can relate to Ford's use of it here. My obscure recommendation or workaround? Be careful, cautious and smart about everything you do. When you see an opportunity, take advantage. And when shit doesn't go as planned, figure out a way. There is always a way.

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Epiphany is right, and I am by no means letting this change my direction on my car or how i drive it or use it. And the key is 'caused by'.......kind of back to your dealer and your relationship with them and how you approach things.....and hopefully not having a youtube video of you blowing your motor up at the dragstrip :)

Sponsored
OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
We need more seedy politicians, ambulance chasing lawyers and frivolous lawsuits to protect us from ourselves. That way we could simply stop functioning as a society and not be able to get anything done. We're almost there. Rock bottom is just an arm's length away...

Seriously, I'm surprised the manual isn't more restrictive than it is. The key phrase used is damage caused by and I can relate to Ford's use of it here. My obscure recommendation or workaround? Be careful, cautious and smart about everything you do. When you see an opportunity, take advantage. And when shit doesn't go as planned, figure out a way. There is always a way.
Damage caused by..... cause and effect. You take your car to the track and drive it hard (cause), then you suffer a major malfunction due to lacking workmanship or materials (effect), and then Ford uses the exclusion clause to void the warranty. We saw a member blow a transmission because a guy on the assembly line cross threaded a bolt on a transmission cooling line.

This needs to be clarified for the record. I don't think it was Fords intention to do this. This has to be a mistake. If not, then everyone needs to know about this so they aren't caught off guard when this happens to them.

Skwibbs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT500, '17 2SS (previous)
Keep us posted, interested. I saw that written too but I assumed it was a mass print mistake.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
So would that mean whomever buys SP’s CFTP will be buying it with no warranty? I mean, there’s quite a bit of footage showing it’s been on a track.
In its strictest interpretation, it is damage that is caused from being on the track. The way I read it is that if you are participating in any of those events and something happens, then it is not covered.

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
I track my 17 GTPP all the time and a friend of mine with the exact same car just blew his second engine on the track. His dealer know that he track his car ( nt01, numbers, etc) and Ford is paying for it with no arguments
Our warranty disclaimer read as follow:
..misuse of vehicle such as driving over Cubs, overloading, racing...
That’s it...
I see so many S550 on tracks that maybe it’s starting to cost some good money to Ford and therefore they are protecting themselves
Still,marketing a car as a track car and voiding the warranty if used as such, stink big time
Please keep us posted
Btw, another friend of mine just blew his head gasket on his “R” at the same event...

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I track my 17 GTPP all the time and a friend of mine with the exact same car just blew his second engine on the track. His dealer know that he track his car ( nt01, numbers, etc) and Ford is paying for it with no arguments
Our warranty disclaimer read as follow:
..misuse of vehicle such as driving over Cubs, overloading, racing...
That’s it...
I see so many S550 on tracks that maybe it’s starting to cost some good money to Ford and therefore they are protecting themselves
Still,marketing a car as a track car and voiding the warranty if used as such, stink big time
Please keep us posted
Btw, another friend of mine just blew his head gasket on his “R” at the same event...
Yes, I get it. I track my Rs too. The warranty on the GT350 manual is not excluding track use. The warranty in the 500 specifically excludes track use and is not covered by warranty. The phrase above the exclusion is ambiguous. I am still waiting to hear back from FP for clarification.
Sponsored