Sponsored

Speed Phenom is selling his GT500 CFTP...

kstand

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP
SP is selling his CFTP. As someone who will not push the limits of the car to that degree, I do not believe I will encounter the reasons for his sale. Those of you who have the cup2s are you seeing such accelerated tire wear?

Speed Phenom's "$117,000 mistake...It's time for CHANGE"

Edit: 11/22/20- He has sold the car. It looks like it went to a great new owner. Happy trails!
Sponsored

Last edited:

newmoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Cobra, 10 SS, 12 392, 12 5.0
Watched this video last night. The kid is correct it is absolutely ridiculous that this car can't make it through more than one track session without 2k worth of tires being garbage at the end, nevermind the 4 - 5 tanks of fuel. This is a 117K Mustang Ford.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Watched this video last night. The kid is correct it is absolutely ridiculous that this car can't make it through more than one track session without 2k worth of tires being garbage at the end, nevermind the 4 - 5 tanks of fuel. This is a 117K Mustang Ford.
Let's see.... in my GT350R, I always have to fill my tank after a 30 min session. We didnt buy these cars for their fuel economy. Furthermore, the kid doesn't turn his own wrenches. Anyone who tracks his car needs to have some mechanical ability, which leads to a better understanding of the vehicle and how it performs. Which leads me to my point.
He has no common sense when it comes to the so called problem he is having. He says that he is using fords recommended alignment and tire pressures. Who did his alignment? Every time I see the kid getting work done, he is at his dealership. I use a specialty race shop that does race alignments and they do them correctly. Back to my point, one alignment and one tire pressure isn't a one size fits all for any track.anyone who knows what they are doing knows this. I heard nothing about a pyrometer, changing alignment settings, trying new tires, changing tire pressures......

So the kid raves and raves about the car up until this video comes out. His "out of the box" car isn't performing on the track anymore. He blames the tires. Now he is selling the car. Okay.....

With so much effort and time into this, I would have done a little more work to solve the problem. I would have dialed my alignment in to a gnats ass based upon measurements I obtained from track conditions. I would experiment with different tires and pressures. He is complaining about fuel economy?

Sorry, I'm calling bullshit.

Billy Johnson, who developes this car told me that the CFTP is an exponentially better track machine than the R was. The kid, for some reason, wants out of this car. I think Billy knows a lot more than some kid who has no idea what he is doing.

I think there is more to this story than what he is telling and/or he is clueless

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP

kstand

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP
Would most people trailer their car to the racetrack or street drive it there? I am personally hoping for 5-7k miles of street driving for the cup2s. Any road courses or track days would not count towards my mileage goal. Most of my circles trailer their cars in and have multiple sets of wheels and tires for track days. Not faulting SP at all. His car, his money, his channel. Mainly just curious what other drivers are getting.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Would most people trailer their car to the racetrack or street drive it there? I am personally hoping for 5-7k miles of street driving for the cup2s. Any road courses or track days would not count towards my mileage goal. Most of my circles trailer their cars in and have multiple sets of wheels and tires for track days. Not faulting SP at all. His car, his money, his channel. Mainly just curious what other drivers are getting.
For just street driving, you'll get 10k out of a set.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Racing is expensive. Gotta pay to play.
That is for sure. I go through a set of tires and 2 sets of brakes in one weekend. The hobby sure as hell isn't for anyone who is worried about filling his tank.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Copy all, Tom and of course, I agree. My question would be, is there anything to his "Ford-only Cup 2 compound" and would a set from Tire Mart or Discount wear differently than the OEM's do you think?

Sponsored
OP
OP

kstand

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP
Let's see.... in my GT350R, I always have to fill my tank after a 30 min session. We didnt buy these cars for their fuel economy. Furthermore, the kid doesn't turn his own wrenches. Anyone who tracks his car needs to have some mechanical ability, which leads to a better understanding of the vehicle and how it performs. Which leads me to my point.
He has no common sense when it comes to the so called problem he is having. He says that he is using fords recommended alignment and tire pressures. Who did his alignment? Every time I see the kid getting work done, he is at his dealership. I use a specialty race shop that does race alignments and they do them correctly. Back to my point, one alignment and one tire pressure isn't a one size fits all for any track.anyone who knows what they are doing knows this. I heard nothing about a pyrometer, changing alignment settings, trying new tires, changing tire pressures......

So the kid raves and raves about the car up until this video comes out. His "out of the box" car isn't performing on the track anymore. He blames the tires. Now he is selling the car. Okay.....

With so much effort and time into this, I would have done a little more work to solve the problem. I would have dialed my alignment in to a gnats ass based upon measurements I obtained from track conditions. I would experiment with different tires and pressures. He is complaining about fuel economy?

Sorry, I'm calling bullshit.

Billy Johnson, who developes this car told me that the CFTP is an exponentially better track machine than the R was. The kid, for some reason, wants out of this car. I think Billy knows a lot more than some kid who has no idea what he is doing.

I think there is more to this story than what he is telling and/or he is clueless
Thank you for the Michelin document!!!

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Copy all, Tom and of course, I agree. My question would be, is there anything to his "Ford-only Cup 2 compound" and would a set from Tire Mart or Discount wear differently than the OEM's do you think?
Yes, there is a difference. Cup2s can have different tread compound as developed by each car manufacturer. While in development, manufacturers develop and formulate their own spec for the tire compound for a specific car.

I dont think Ford developed a "glory lap" tire. It is well known that when Cup2s heat up, they tend to slide a bit. Also when tires heat up, the pressures increase compounding the problem.

I never heard the kid mention one thing to mitigate is issues (besides being a click bait youtuber). Again, there is more to this story besides incompetence.

Here is an article about the tires and how they are developed. It is written by Billy Johnson, the man who developed our car.

https://motoiq.com/not-all-michelin-cup-2-tires-are-created-the-same/

Last edited:

Classic Lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Dodge Challenger T/A 392 6 speed manual.
I think the thing he didn't really address is the weight. That is probably the leading cause for the tires going so fast. A gt350r is a lot lighter. Honestly it's a little silly for him to complain though. If you have 100 grand for a car and 140,000 YouTube subscribers just spend the two grand every couple months to make a track video. And hey it's not like you can't make other content with the car, drag racing is cheap and he will get plenty of views with that. Honestly I feel like he had an inferiority complex about his cars, wouldn't surprise me to see him go full on Europe with his cars

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I'll be happy (and surprised) if I get 10k.
I bought a set of used Cup2's from a member here when it was getting close to trade the triple yellow R in. The set had 10K miles of street use on them. Overall, they were in very good shape. When I received them, I said to myself that these tires had a lot more life in them. I wound up not using them. I couldn't bring myself to put a set of 10K mile tires on a car that I was getting a very very good deal on the trade. I wound up using a set of new Cup2s so that when I handed over the keys, the car was perfect. That's the way I roll.

Anyway, a friend who needed a set of Cup2's for track use mentioned that he was in need. I gave him the set with 10K miles on them and he got a full track weekend out of them.

So unless you are driving very aggressively and doing burnouts and such, you should be able to get the 10K out of the set.