corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
^^^ I'm more expecting GM to bring their engines down in displacement to more closely match Ford . . . no, that doesn't fit the 'more's better, too much is just enough' mindset very well, though.

Norm
Sponsored

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
^^^ I'm more expecting GM to bring their engines down in displacement to more closely match Ford . . . no, that doesn't fit the 'more's better, too much is just enough' mindset very well, though.

Norm
It will be tough for them to match the power at equivalent displacement if they don’t go to dohc. Just look at their feeble efforts to bump the 5.3 up to 355 hp (383 ftlb) to match the gen1 coyote’s 360. It was sad. Then the f-150 coyote was bumped to 380, 395, and now 400/410.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
GM already has a 5.5L DOHC V8, and it's apparently not related to the late Cadillac Blackwing project. They just aren't saying a whole lot about it. But I can see there being some sense for GM to keep such an engine at 5.5L if it was to end up as regular production, just to slightly "one-up" the Coyote/Voodoo.

Norm

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
It will be tough for them to match the power at equivalent displacement if they don’t go to dohc. Just look at their feeble efforts to bump the 5.3 up to 355 hp (383 ftlb) to match the gen1 coyote’s 360. It was sad. Then the f-150 coyote was bumped to 380, 395, and now 400/410.
GM already has a 5.5L DOHC V8, and it's apparently not related to the late Cadillac Blackwing project. They just aren't saying a whole lot about it. But I can see there being some sense for GM to keep such an engine at 5.5L if it was to end up as regular production, just to slightly "one-up" the Coyote/Voodoo.

Norm
I can say with some authority that GM doesn't give a $#!t about specific power (hp/L). At least not when it comes to comparing different configurations. I spent more than 10 years leading a team that kept the Engine Engineering speed up to date on competitor specs, including specific power. They compared specific power of OHV to OHV and OHC to OHC. When comparing across configurations, the discussion was more on rated output, ignoring displacement. Even then, when we told Al O. that Mustang was bumping to 460 hp (and then 480) his response was basically "meh".

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
It’s quite obvious they don’t care about hp/L, but if they do in fact want to reduce displacement while maintaining competitive power, then you can’t avoid the math.

Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Which car is using it? If none, then it's like it doesn't exist, since it might never make it to production. Never heard of that engine before.
So far it is the engine in the C8.R, the racing version of the new Corvette. It is also expected to be used in the C8 Z06 (naturally aspirated) and ZR1 (twin turbo).

C8 Z06 Engine

Ironically I am at this very minute working on my forecast for GM engines. I have both those engines in my forecast. Equally interesting.... as I look at each of GM's engine products and develop the forecast for them, GM's small block V8 is expected to be the 2nd highest volume engine in their portfolio through the current decade, possibly longer.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It’s quite obvious they don’t care about hp/L, but if they do in fact want to reduce displacement while maintaining competitive power, then you can’t avoid the math.
True, but the thing is, reducing displacement is a result, not a goal, EXCEPT in markets that tax for displacement. GM has all but pulled out of Europe, so that's no longer an issue. Engines used in China are made in China, so that is also not really an issue. The US doesn't tax displacement, so GM's focus is to be power and fuel economy competitive in each segment in which it competes. The displacement will be what it is. They have 1.2 and 1.3L engines in Trax and Trailblazer and 6.2L engines in Camaros, Corvettes, and trucks. In none of these situations do they really care what the displacement of their direct competitors may be. Just the performance and fuel economy.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
@martinjlm I understand completely. Where I’m stuck is when comparing the 2020 truck 5.0 vs 5.3 v8, the epa mpg is identical but the 5.3 is down 40 hp and 17 ftlb. I’m struggling to understand gm’s next move. It would be tough to match ford’s power and torque without either adding valves or displacement, but adding displacement will undoubtedly put them at an mpg disadvantage.

Yes gm doesn’t care about power/displacement, as they shouldn’t, because it doesn’t matter at the end of the day. But the march towards more power and better mpg usually pushes displacement down and competition pushes power up.

Sponsored

jwt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
Reliability? particularly in the commercial and semi commercial (or whatever you call hot shoters).

Big displacement, low mpg million mile lasting engines must have a place in someone's heart?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Reliability? particularly in the commercial and semi commercial (or whatever you call hot shoters).

Big displacement, low mpg million mile lasting engines must have a place in someone's heart?
I think they're called truck drivers. The kind that puts their trucks to honest, hard work as opposed to image-building.

Norm

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang

Norm
Been thinking that for years since almost all the competition is well below 6 liters.
On another note, I don't see the LT going away anytime soon.

Then we have the 1/2 ton trucks.......

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@martinjlm I understand completely. Where I’m stuck is when comparing the 2020 truck 5.0 vs 5.3 v8, the epa mpg is identical but the 5.3 is down 40 hp and 17 ftlb. I’m struggling to understand gm’s next move. It would be tough to match ford’s power and torque without either adding valves or displacement, but adding displacement will undoubtedly put them at an mpg disadvantage.

Yes gm doesn’t care about power/displacement, as they shouldn’t, because it doesn’t matter at the end of the day. But the march towards more power and better mpg usually pushes displacement down and competition pushes power up.
GM has already shown their hand here. Cylinder Deactivation. First there was Active Fuel Management (AFM) which shuts down the same four cylinders under light load. For a while it was only available on the old 6.0L, then when that went away, the 5.3L. Then they added it to the 6.2L and made it more aggressive. Even my Camaro's LT1 engine has it. I've seen my car doing 80+ mph running in V4 mode.

Now they are in the process of replacing AFM with Dynamic Fuel Management (DFM). DFM has each individual cylinder making a "fire / don't fire" decision on every engine cycle. In theory, the engine can deactivate up to 7 cylinders at the same time. This is available on 5.3L and 6.2L engines.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The 7.3 and it's variants will be much cheaper to build.
Demand will decide who lives and dies when it comes to these engine families.

There are early rumors of a alloy smaller displacement version of the 7.3, only time will tell.

I can say it's been since 1973.........Time to match gm in displacement.
Absolutely! Part of the reason for Ford to make them OHV instead of OHC and CI instead of aluminum. The other reason being usable low end torque. For trucks. Big trucks.

Here is the southern Detroit Metro topography, showing location of Ford's engine plants. From some floors at GM HQ you can actually see both plants. If Ford wanted the 6.8L to be an alloy block F150 / Mustang motor, they would have put it in the same plant that today builds alloy block F150 /Mustang motors. Instead, they put it in the same plant that builds the cast iron block Super Duty motor. It's gonna be a cast iron block Super Duty motor.
Ford Engine Plants in Ontario.jpg

Fun facts....Belle Isle is the location for the Detroit Grand Prix. And yes, Canada is actually SOUTH of Detroit in this area.
Sponsored

Last edited: