Sponsored

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
Don’t forget the echo effect for off the CF wing for the people following. That’s huge!
Yes. Also the wing is instrumental in passing down washout turbulence to the trailing car, thus providing an unfair advantage as the trailing car struggles to maintain good handing characteristics. Unless that trailing car is another R. The front spoiler on the R is designed to power thru all that. Ford thought of everything I tell ya.
Sponsored

SeattleDude

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremiah
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
I traded in my 2011 GT500 on a 2020 GT350 when I read it was the last year for the 350. I grew up building and racing balanced/blueprinted roller NA motors and as a consequence have a dislike of forced induction engines. The closest comparable mass-produced motor I can think of to the Voodoo would be the ’67-‘69 DZ 302 they put in the Z/28... which is considered legendary by most auto aficionados (even if it is GM). My guess is that the Voodoo will someday also be inducted into the badass engine rock & roll hall of fame. I know it’s speculation on my part, and I could be wrong, but I also don’t care because every time I drive the thing it puts a giant shit eating grin on my face.

Last edited:

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
I traded in my 2011 GT500 on a 2020 GT350 when I read it was the last year for the 350. I grew up building and racing balanced/blueprinted roller NA motors and as a consequence have a dislike of forced induction engines. The closest comparable mass-produced motor I can think of to the Voodoo would be the ’67-‘69 DZ 302 they put in the Z/28... which is considered legendary by most auto aficionados (even if it is GM). My guess is that the Voodoo will someday also be inducted into the badass engine rock & roll hall of fame. I know it’s speculation on my part, and I could be wrong, but I also don’t care because every time I drive the thing it puts a giant shit eating grin on my face.
What made the DZ 302 so legendary?

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P

https://www.chevyhardcore.com/news/the-heart-of-a-legend-z28-camaros-small-block-dz-302/

Aside from its heritage, what really made the 302 cubic-inch engine special was how unique it was. The engine was given an oversquare design, created by the 4.00-inch bore and 3.00-inch stroke. The large bore coupled with the short stroke allowed the engine to rev well into the 7,000 rpm range. This type of small-displacement, high-revving platform was a bit radical in an age of big-block, 5,500 to 6,000 rpm-limited engines. However, the small-block’s design allows it to have high-horsepower potential and incredible reliability, as opposed to its larger, lower-revving counterparts.

SeattleDude

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremiah
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
In addition to MaskedRacerX’s post, the DZ 302 was an over-square motor with a solid camshaft, mechanical lifters, stiffer valve springs and high lift valves from the factory. They were designed to compete in SCCA events, and because the SCCA rules said that so many had to be built and sold to the general public, these Z/28s were sold on dealer lots. Many pushed the redline up to 8,000 RPMs right out of the factory. There are videos on YouTube with them redlining at 11,000 RPM. Keep in mind they were doing this in 1967-69.

People often lament that the Voodoo is the first factory produced race engine made by an American motor company, which I don’t believe to be correct. The DZ 302 certainly was a race-tuned engine from the factory. And just like any high-revving pushrod race engine, you had to adjust the valve backlash every 6,000 miles. They should have been sold with a free set wrenches and feeler gauges. In contrast, the Voodoo’s maintenance burden on the owner is much lower thanks in part to the Formula-One-style valve train.

Sponsored

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
In addition to MaskedRacerX’s post, the DZ 302 was an over-square motor with a solid camshaft, mechanical lifters, stiffer valve springs and high lift valves from the factory. They were designed to compete in SCCA events, and because the SCCA rules said that so many had to be built and sold to the general public, these Z/28s were sold on dealer lots. Many pushed the redline up to 8,000 RPMs right out of the factory. There are videos on YouTube with them redlining at 11,000 RPM. Keep in mind they were doing this in 1967-69.

People often lament that the Voodoo is the first factory produced race engine made by an American motor company, which I don’t believe to be correct. The DZ 302 certainly was a race-tuned engine from the factory. And just like any high-revving pushrod race engine, you had to adjust the valve backlash every 6,000 miles. They should have been sold with a free set wrenches and feeler gauges. In contrast, the Voodoo’s maintenance burden on the owner is much lower thanks in part to the Formula-One-style valve train.

Wow I didn't know that. 11,000 redline? Jesus Christ. Yeah that is really good even by today standards. I had no idea that engine existed. The only GM engine that I knew of was the 454 in the Chevelle

Pparana

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350R
Agree i bought a 2020 her and also have a 19r. Was planning to sell 19 but might keep both.
I ended w 2 hep r orders as a fluke so my buddy got one.

No one.is making new .v8 motors. This is such a bizzare motor given cost to design and implement. Yhen to use it in one car is nuts.

SeattleDude

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremiah
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
No one.is making new .v8 motors.
GM is reportedly developing a 5.5L flat-plane crank V8 for the 2022 C8 Z06 Corvette. Unifor just signed a deal with Ford to build the new 6.8L v8 at their Windsor Essex plant, which will reportedly be used in the F-150 and Mustang. Bigger Coyote motor, maybe? So there are at least two new V8s coming out in the next few years.

Mikefd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2004 mystichrome cobra, 20 twister orange350R
Im thankful I’m able to open my garage to see my R..... even though I just recently got it, and orders it a day after x Mas.... it was def worth the wait

5.Oh Crush

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ra
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
"the Voodoo V8 might have been the death knell for globally-minded Ford. European Union regulations won’t allow for the flat plane-crank engine to be sold on the continent. Apparently, an American automaker has to make product decisions for North America based on what Europe allows, which is what makes the upcoming Mustang Mach 1 such a golden child." Motorius.

Sponsored

sotek2345

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2016 F-150
I also traded in my 2011 GT500 (with a VMP Gen 1 blower) for my GT350. They are very different cars and I miss the torque less than I thought I would! GT350 gets more looks when cruising around too.

SeattleDude

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremiah
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
"the Voodoo V8 might have been the death knell for globally-minded Ford. European Union regulations won’t allow for the flat plane-crank engine to be sold on the continent. Apparently, an American automaker has to make product decisions for North America based on what Europe allows, which is what makes the upcoming Mustang Mach 1 such a golden child." Motorius.
The Mach 1 isn’t an American car. It’s about as American as a Mexican VW Jetta. The transmissions are from Mexico. The engines are from Canada. Final assembly is in Flat Rock where a robot paints the chassis and an American auto worker sticks a few decals on it.

It’s been said since 2015 that if Ford made the Mustang a “world car” that it would be ruined. Looks like the chickens are finally coming home to roost. Ford is closing the Alpha Romeo line in Michigan. At this rate, pretty soon, all new Mustangs will be assembled in Mexico, stamped “Hecho en China”on half the parts in the car, and then sold to a bunch of wine suckers in Europe as an “authentic American muscle car” — all in the name of Profit.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
The Mach 1 isn’t an American car. It’s about as American as a Mexican VW Jetta. The transmissions are from Mexico. The engines are from Canada. Final assembly is in Flat Rock where a robot paints the chassis and an American auto worker sticks a few decals on it.

It’s been said since 2015 that if Ford made the Mustang a “world car” that it would be ruined. Looks like the chickens are finally coming home to roost. Ford is closing the Alpha Romeo line in Michigan. At this rate, pretty soon, all new Mustangs will be assembled in Mexico, stamped “Hecho en China”on half the parts in the car, and then sold to a bunch of wine suckers in Europe as an “authentic American muscle car” — all in the name of Profit.
Sounds like GM products...

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
sold to a bunch of wine suckers in Europe as an “authentic concept of what American muscle car was back in 1973
FIFY. The warning label says "contents not certified by the USTA as American. "America(n)" is a registered trademark belonging to US of A Corp, an incorporated entity of Delaware. All rights reserved."

It wouldn't surprise me if absolutely ZERO of the car's content originated from any of the 50-odd States. Ie. not even the raw materials - aluminum, steel or chemical precursors to the paint and stripes and plastics was processed in our country.

Seems like we still do stampings, molding, 2.5-axis machining and hopefully forge/casting here domestically but I wonder.

Last edited:

SeattleDude

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremiah
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
Seems like we still do stampings, molding, 2.5-axis machining and hopefully forge/casting here domestically but I wonder.
”The engines were first produced in Romeo, Michigan then additional capacity was added in Windsor, Ontario.” — https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Modular_engine

The Romeo Michigan line has or will be closed soon. — https://www.freep.com/story/money/c...-plant-closure-uaw-ford-tentative/4109905002/

While that article states that Ford says they will build engines elsewhere in the US, there haven’t been any announcements of a new plant that I’m aware of. Not to hijack the thread, but if anyone else knows what’s going on with this I’d be interested in learning more.
Sponsored