Wernerj18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
So I purchased lunds flex and e85 tune.

Lund said to wait until as close to 0 miles to fill with e85 wirh the flex tune. That is going to be pretty hard with where my station is at. How low have you guys gone when filling with e85? Is it fine to say, fill at 30 miles or more and let the computer learn as it goes?

Mainly it would be great to be able to go from 93 to 85 using the flex with any amount of fuel. Then wait until the ethanol % gets high enough to use the e85 r tune. My biggest concern is if I go on a road trip without any e85 stations.

One a second note, do any of you fill jugs and then take them home? I was thinking about using vp jugs and filling them when I fill up, that way I don't have to go out of my way as much. Any other methods you all use?
Sponsored

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
So I purchased lunds flex and e85 tune.

Lund said to wait until as close to 0 miles to fill with e85 wirh the flex tune. That is going to be pretty hard with where my station is at. How low have you guys gone when filling with e85? Is it fine to say, fill at 30 miles or more and let the computer learn as it goes?

Mainly it would be great to be able to go from 93 to 85 using the flex with any amount of fuel. Then wait until the ethanol % gets high enough to use the e85 r tune. My biggest concern is if I go on a road trip without any e85 stations.

One a second note, do any of you fill jugs and then take them home? I was thinking about using vp jugs and filling them when I fill up, that way I don't have to go out of my way as much. Any other methods you all use?
The flex is for exactly what you described. You can have any combination of fuel but for best performance youd want the least amount of 91/93 possible. E85r though you don't want anything lower than e70.

OP
OP

Wernerj18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
The flex is for exactly what you described. You can have any combination of fuel but for best performance youd want the least amount of 91/93 possible. E85r though you don't want anything lower than e70.
Here is what lund was saying. I suppose it does say, the easiest way to switch fuels. But, he also says not to drive it immediately because it will lock too soon to the wrong ethanol %, that kind of makes it sound like its not really adjusting to the ethanal % on the fly. Does it make sense why I am confused?

With the Flex Fuel tune loaded, the easiest way to switch fuels is to get the tank down to close to 0 miles to Empty, then fill up with the other fuel. It'll take a good 10 mins of idle and neutral rev holds for the fuel to start mixing and for the ethanol % to start learning properly. Do not drive it immediately. It may learn incorrectly since the other fuel may remain in the lines and it may lock too soon to the wrong ethanol %. On the nGauge you can monitor ALCH_PCT in the Gauges menu to see when the % is moving up. Once it's moving up around 30-40% you can probably drive on it to get it to learn further and lock in. You can monitor when it locks in via the ALCH_LEARN flag when it goes from 0 to 1. On SCT you can't monitor the learn flag but you can monitor the ethanol percentage PID.

Rinzler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Get to as close to 0 as you can on the Flex tune, throw e85 in it. Drive it until you run it down again (will be fast on e85), then fill it up with e85 and run the e85r tune. You should be reliably have enough e85 in the tank to warrant the tune if you've run through a heavy e85 mix tank.

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Platinum Premium GT
I loaded the Flex tune when my gas gauge was at 1/4 tank and then filled up with E-85. Drove on the Flex tune till 1/4 full and then filled with E-85 and loaded the dedicated E-85 tune. Test your fuel source first - the station I use (Phillips 66) the E-85 has tested spot on at 85% ethanol using a bottle tester.

Rinzler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I loaded the Flex tune when my gas gauge was at 1/4 tank and then filled up with E-85. Drove on the Flex tune till 1/4 full and then filled with E-85 and loaded the dedicated E-85 tune. Test your fuel source first - the station I use (Phillips 66) the E-85 has tested spot on at 85% ethanol using a bottle tester.
So true. I went to a Murphys and their e85 was more like e25. I always run check the fuel perc before I install the e85R tune.

RoyalCrimsonGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bong
Vehicle(s)
2018 MGT P, 10R80, PP1, MagneRide, ActiveExhaust
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve driven mine to 0 miles to empty plus another 3 miles no problem.

also done flex tune until my alcohol content was 80% and above then switch to e85r tune. Just set the alch_pct and alch_learn on your nGauge while you’re on flex tune

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When running the flex tune my alch_pct never got above 72% on the Ngauge. I test my fuel source regularly - every other fill-up, with a bottle tester. It's always right on the money at 85% E. I don't trust the E % the Ngauge is calculating.

Sponsored

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One thing I discovered about ethanol sensors after researching them, they don't measure ethanol, they measure % of gasoline and "assume" the rest is ethanol. Which is basically the same way a bottle tester works. There is a YT vid I found demonstrating the results one guy got testing various fuels with a well known brand's inline ethanol sensor. He was a little surprised when the sensor read %100 Ethanol when he ran tap water thru it..... :) Not sure what the Ngauge is using to calc E% but it isn't the fuel.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Wernerj18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Thanks everyone. That video was very helpful. I guess I was just scared of something going wrong! Hopefully get to try the flex tune this weekend

RoyalCrimsonGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bong
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

RoyalCrimsonGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bong
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
When running the flex tune my alch_pct never got above 72% on the Ngauge. I test my fuel source regularly - every other fill-up, with a bottle tester. It's always right on the money at 85% E. I don't trust the E % the Ngauge is calculating.
Hmm, strange coz mine’s gone to 84.7% highest I’ve seen. But I heard anything above 70% is good for e85r?
Sponsored