Sponsored

So, has everyone made peace with the 2K rattle?

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
It occurred to me over the weekend that the number of 2K Rattle threads in the forum has dropped remarkably of late. In fact, I can't think of the last time I saw one.

So what's the deal? People made peace with it? "That's why we have warranties"? "What rattle"?

Asking for a friend. ;)
Sponsored

2018OFPP1?2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
'92 LX 5.0 Vert, 2018 GT PP2
Yup. No correlation to engine failures, it's moving into a fourth model year with no revision, and it runs like a raped ape. Time to let it go.

Crowd Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$hitbox
What is the 2k rattle?

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Mine has had it since new. Iā€™m at 30k miles now, 25k+ supercharged. Still rattled like when it was new. Iā€™m pretty sure itā€™s just piston slap. Thereā€™s a rattle spark adjust table in the pcm and it has the highest values right where we hear it most. However, a little tweaking of the shift tables would probably help more than anything, to avoid being lightly loaded in the 2-3k rpm range.

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
So what's the deal? People made peace with it?
It's not like we made 'peace with it' (meaning it's okay it exists), at least in my case. But more like Ford should have fixed this crap a long time ago, but since that didn't happen, we have no choice but to live with it :).

And no, it's definitely not piston slap IMO, since it occurs hot and cold, and it starts around 2K rpm. Piston slap is more prevalent at idle, and when engine is cold (piston to cylinder clearance is at its highest). Others have pointed at transition between port and direct injection, where the mechanically-driven high-pressure pump causes cavitation, or some other related phenomenon. That makes a lot more sense than piston slap. But whatever it is, Ford should have fixed that a long time ago.

At any rate, since with the stereo turned on, and/or exhaust in any mode except quiet, it's hardly audible, even the most anal among us can live with it :). It's also diminished a little in both rpm range and volume when hot, so that helps now... but in winter, it might become a lot more annoying. We'll see.

Last edited:

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
...And no, it's definitely not piston slap IMO, since it occurs hot and cold, and it starts around 2K rpm. Piston slap is more prevalent at idle, and when engine is cold (piston to cylinder clearance is at its highest). Others have pointed at transition between port and direct injection, where the mechanically-driven high-pressure pump causes cavitation, or some other related phenomenon. That makes a lot more sense than piston slap....
"Definitely" is a strong word. I've experienced piston slap before and this matches the sound, load, and rpm range exactly. There was also a Coyote engine builder that said in a video some time back that he believed Ford inadvertently used the wrong grade pistons in some blocks, so the clearance was above spec and caused the rattle. I'll have to see if I can find it. At any rate, someone could very easily turn on the GDI to 90% all the time and rule out that one theory.

FYI:

1600128821367.png

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
"Definitely" is a strong word. I've experienced piston slap before and this matches the sound, load, and rpm range exactly. There was also a Coyote engine builder that said in a video some time back that he believed Ford inadvertently used the wrong grade pistons in some blocks, so the clearance was above spec and caused the rattle. I'll have to see if I can find it. At any rate, someone could very easily turn on the GDI to 90% all the time and rule out that one theory.

FYI:

1600128821367.png
So why do like 90% of these cars have the same rattle? Is Ford using the wrong pistons to this day? Not saying it can't be piston slap, but it seems odd to be that so many of these engines do it.

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
"Definitely" is a strong word.
Yes, it is :). I've had 3 engines with piston slap, and they ALWAYS made A LOT more racket when cold, for the obvious reason I mentioned before. Piston slap means too much piston to cylinder clearance. And the colder the engine, the larger the clearance, so it's mechanical common sense that it would slap harder when cold. Our engine does NOT. But if you want to believe it, be my guest :). You also have to use logic. Do basically ALL Coyote engines have piston slap, since basically all have that rattle? Obviously not. Mine is super quiet on cold starts, and warm idle, so I know it does not have it.

One of those 3 engines, one was on a Ford F-150 4x4 I bought new back in 1997, when they just came out with the new rounded look. And the 5.4 V8 engine was new too. The other 2 engines were on Vettes (LS1 and LS2 engines).

FInally, if you were to tell me the infamous 'tick' is piston slap, then it'd be plausible, because it sounds a lot more like it. But the rattle is something else, and I also think the DI fuel pump version is the most plausible in that case. Bottom line is none of us know what exactly causes each of those noises, but in some cases, it can be deducted what isn't, which is the piston slap version being the rattle. Some have said the tick is piston slap, and it very well could be, at least in some cases.

Last edited:

Stephane4985

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephane
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black Mustang GT PP
I thought it was common knowledge by now that this is cause by the DI pump ramping up speed while it takes over PI at higher rpm??

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
If you look at the di blend table, you can see that di goes from 0% to 90% at steady 1500 and 1750 rpm as load increases. Iā€™ve never heard this noise at 1500 rpm while increasing load.

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
Ugh, you guys have me about ready to get rid of this thing and pick up a '62 Galaxie convertible with a 406 and a 4 speed I saw on classiccars.com. No 2k rattle in that baby. And it has gunsights on the front fenders!

beetle6986

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 04 Cobra, 2008 BMW 335
Yes, it is :). I've had 3 engines with piston slap, and they ALWAYS made A LOT more racket when cold, for the obvious reason I mentioned before. Piston slap means too much piston to cylinder clearance. And the colder the engine, the larger the clearance, so it's mechanical common sense that it would slap harder when cold. Our engine does NOT. But if you want to believe it, be my guest :). You also have to use logic. Do basically ALL Coyote engines have piston slap, since basically all have that rattle? Obviously not. Mine is super quiet on cold starts, and warm idle, so I know it does not have it.

One of those 3 engines, one was on a Ford F-150 4x4 I bought new back in 1997, when they just came out with the new rounded look. And the 5.4 V8 engine was new too. The other 2 engines were on Vettes (LS1 and LS2 engines).

FInally, if you were to tell me the infamous 'tick' is piston slap, then it'd be plausible, because it sounds a lot more like it. But the rattle is something else, and I also think the DI fuel pump version is the most plausible in that case. Bottom line is none of us know what exactly causes each of those noises, but in some cases, it can be deducted what isn't, which is the piston slap version being the rattle. Some have said the tick is piston slap, and it very well could be, at least in some cases.
I just happened to come across this thread. I'm not aware of the issue you guys are talking about as I have never heard this with my 2016 GT. However, everything this man says about piston slap is correct. Engines with forged pistons have this a lot as the forged pistons shrink even more as they cool.
Sponsored