Sponsored

Do you see the upcoming Mach 1 an improvement over the Bullitt?

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
As I said before on a similar thread, they're different cars. I DID NOT want a PP2 car, and the Mach1 is probably a PP2.5. If somebody feels like the screwed up with the Bullitt because they wanted a more radical car, then yes, the Mach1 would be a good option. I would not get one at any price, because it's not what I need. I had a 1970 Mach1 with the shaker hood while in college, and I MUCH prefer the Bullitt now. As Chuck said, maybe because we're older (58 here), but due to where I live, my previous sports cars just sat in the garage. I need a GT car that is a good compromise between sport and comfort, to be relatively comfortable to travel to enjoyable roads and places. And the Bullitt was as good a compromise as it gets. It needed a bit more control on the suspension, but the Steeda front 2-point and rear braces pretty much fixed that without affecting the ride (or having to re-align it), so it's just about perfect for my needs right now.

Finally, I actually like my D4 tranny better (feels more refined) than the Tremec TR6060 on my last Vette... which turned out defective. So glad to have the Getrag instead. The Tremec is probably more robust (at least the TR-6060; the 3160 is a weaker variant), but I'll never need that, so not an issue for me.
Sponsored

OP
OP

OLdchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tacoma, 2020 Miata, MB E350
JC,
As always, sage advice. I am 73 so although I still like acceleration and a fun ride, comfort has taken a priority in most rides I do. I think the Bullitt will be a good compromise for me as well. Thanks to all who have added to this thread..
Best of luck JC..

P8K

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
the wife didn't like Manual - the spanish gearbox ;)
I assume this was just bad humor. As opposed to a racist joke from someone who doesn't know the difference between the spelling on manual transmission vs. the spanish name Manuel.

o-man

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oscar
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
I would take a Mach 1 any day over my Bullitt. I think I'm more track focused than most of you guys are, even at 54 years of age. I'm on my second S550 manual and I've had nowhere near the issues others have had

Sponsored

OP
OP

OLdchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tacoma, 2020 Miata, MB E350
Oscar, I think you are correct that for the track the Mach 1 would be the better car.
JC also made that assessment . My present 981 is a beast in handling but does suffer somewhat in the comfort range and that with its' lack of room led me to look at other vehicles. Finding a blend of both comfort and handling is something that we have to judge for ourselves as we all have different priorities. Also, life is short so enjoy it while we can...

Beetleything

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rocket Ship - Space Cadet :)
I assume this was just bad humor. As opposed to a racist joke from someone who doesn't know the difference between the spelling on manual transmission vs. the spanish name Manuel.
it was just a joke from old - Remember those - before you couldn't say anything without someone getting butt hurt.

Beetleything

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rocket Ship - Space Cadet :)
There's a lot of posts / videos where peps are stiffing up the back end of the Bullitt with Braces - to stop wheel hop. They don't track the car - it just helps put the power down when you want to.

The mach 1 isn't even out yet.
I'm keeping an open mind.
I think the base Mach 1 without the track / performance pack will be an interesting car.
I would love to drive on a track once / twice a year but not into tracking yet.
I am looking forward to driving it.

zack.whitford

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
it was just a joke from old - Remember those - before you couldn't say anything without someone getting butt hurt.
Oh right, that must be the “great” period that Trump is trying to return to.

Saying cute racist shit was definitely before my time.

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
I must be the only one that prefers the new gearing. I always though 1st gear was way too short on my '16. You'd barely make it across the intersection in normal driving and already be at 4,000 rpm (it seems as I recall). Reminded me of those older Ferraris that would be going slow but revving so high.

Sponsored

OmniStrife

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt (Magneride & Elec. Pkg.)
Vehicle Showcase
As a daily commuter the Bullitt (with the Magneride esp.) is a better car. For track? Mach 1 wins.

MyStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Beetleything,
Let it go, this comes to mind.
9C5F184D-.jpg

zack.whitford

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I must be the only one that prefers the new gearing. I always though 1st gear was way too short on my '16. You'd barely make it across the intersection in normal driving and already be at 4,000 rpm (it seems as I recall). Reminded me of those older Ferraris that would be going slow but revving so high.
I love the gearing too. Winding it up just going slow and then the sound of the long gear throw into the next gear is great.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I must be the only one that prefers the new gearing.
You definitely have company, including mine :). The gearing on the Bullitt is just about perfect for a street car to be enjoyed both in the twisties AND the highway. I NEVER liked the track-oriented manual gearing on my ex manual German cars. And the gearing on the Vettes was too tall. It's really nice to have a tranny well matched to our engine, with a usable 5th gear for the highway (rather than just 6th).