Sponsored

Small accident - Insurance or out of pocket?

Stardog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6M, 1996 Mustang Cobra, 2016 Focus ST, 2004 F250 CCSB Powerstroke
So...do I just fix it myself and have the shop recharge the AC or do I have the insurance deal with it? Friggin Coyote V8...

IMG_20200914_071131_01.jpg

IMG_20200914_052551.jpg
Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Hard to tell what's damaged beyond the grill. I guess the condenser since you say the ac has to be charged.
Were it mine I'd likely do it myself. I can handle the mechanical stuff and can even vacuum and charge the ac. The turning point for me would be if something needs painted. At that point I'd have to get a shop involved. But even sourcing a paint match bumper might be less expensive than deductables and alerting the insurance company.

Jmesl8er

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jamie
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium, 1992 Twin Turbo 300ZX
Looks cozy sitting in there.

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang GT California Special (A10)
Vehicle Showcase
I'd get an estimate 1st. Sold my house in May & am building a new one. So have to live in an apartment for 7 months. Long story short someone gently backed into my car a few weeks ago(no note or anything). Small smudge on bumper but caved in the passenger side head lamp a little. That small repair was $2895.00 to replace the bumper, headlight assembly & blend in the paint. Good Luck.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Getting estimates is not a bad idea. They can often give some indication of damage you may not see or think of.

As for your repair cost, if they used a new, factory headlight then that was probably $1200-$1400 of the price for the part alone. Assuming it's the LED one

Sponsored

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Figure if you report it to your insurance company, you still have to pay the deductible and your rates will go up at least 15% for 3 - 5 years.

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT convertible w/3 pedals, BMW M550i
Your rates should not go up if the accident was not your fault. Usually critters fall into that category.

However. And this is the most important thing any of you will read on the Internet today:

Do not take advice on insurance from mysterious strangers on the Internet. Insurance laws, rules and regulations vary from state to state. On top of that, every company has its own policies.

I'm with the suggestion above - get an estimate first, and then decide.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
A Coyote crashing into a Coyote driven by a StarDog....coincidences are real.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Your rates should not go up if the accident was not your fault. Usually critters fall into that category.

However. And this is the most important thing any of you will read on the Internet today:

Do not take advice on insurance from mysterious strangers on the Internet. Insurance laws, rules and regulations vary from state to state. On top of that, every company has its own policies.

I'm with the suggestion above - get an estimate first, and then decide.
The same can be said about listening to your Ins Agent.... because the above is BS. I had a deer jump out from the side of the woods at 55mph, plowed into the passenger side of my 2011 Genesis coupe back in 2015. It demolished the rear 1/4, the passenger side door skin and dented front fender. It hit so hard it also cracked the rear interior plastic on that same side. Over $7k in damages. I have pics posted on here in other animal strike threads.

Was told by my Ins. Agent not to worry, it’s not a moving violation, rates won’t go up yada yada yada... what happens on renewal the year later with NO other changes? Yea, my “don’t worry” resulted in a rates increase...

lol

—-

OP:
Go on eBay and buy the parts. There’s plenty of YT vids and DIYs on here to show how to remove the bumper cover. Once you remove it you can replace the parts. Clean the blood off, buff the bumper cover - done. You’re in it for under $200-$300 (if that)... would you rather pay a $500-$1k deductible and thousands in jacked rates?

Sponsored

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
A Coyote crashing into a Coyote driven by a StarDog....coincidences are real.
This was great LOL.

OP- hope you get this fixed with as little "pain" as possible. As the other good folks have said above, get some estimates.
Depending on cost, it may be worth the upfront financial pain, when compared to the insurance rate hikes, which affect you for a while.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
Getting estimates is not a bad idea. They can often give some indication of damage you may not see or think of.

As for your repair cost, if they used a new, factory headlight then that was probably $1200-$1400 of the price for the part alone. Assuming it's the LED one
Headlight list is about $750.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
For the LED ones? I thought they were considerably more than that.

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
Replacing the bottom grill is easy. Have you taken the front bumper off yet? That'll give you an idea of what the internal damage may be. That you mention recharging the AC.....why? If it damaged something in that system you may need to get it repaired regardless. Hitting animals tend to be no-fault accidents (depends on state though and if it's a common occurrence in yours, it may not be).

I just had a headlight replaced a few months ago on my '18, it was well over 1,000 for the replacement part alone.
Sponsored