Sponsored

Hellion Street Sleeper // On3 owners; A Few Questions Please!

exxit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 RaceRed GT 10r80
I'm at a crossroads between doing a full hellion street sleeper, or going off the cuff and doing an on3 top mount with dual hood exit exhaust... I haven't fully landed on a setup, but plan on tossing as much as I can at it, within reasonable limits, and upgrade as things break along the way.

Build goal is to have a somewhat street mannered 10speed 9 second coyote on e85.. Haven't entertained the idea of single turbo, and told myself I would only consider centri options if I found an off hand kit at cheap enough to justify the change of heart.

On both kits, any turbo recommendations from experience? What would you get if you were starting from 0.

I figure the low mount will heat up the trans area, and the top mount will heat up the engine area, anyone had issues stemming from these conditions?

Any feedback is appreciated. If it ends up being the hood exit setup I'll do a build thread with the fab shop when the exhaust crafting begins.
Sponsored

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
i've been researching hellion, hellhorse/boost works, lpf, triple 7 perf, etc. trying to see who offers not the cheapest kit but the best quality with bang for buck. hard to tell bc they all use different components (eg, comp turbos, precision, or hellion's "house brand"). so anyway i'll sub to this thread. i know hellion is well-liked around here.

Vegas5OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 PP
Ive installed both an on3 low mount twin kit, and a hellion street sleeper kit. Hellion kit is amazing quality, easy install, made 1156 wheel with ease. I will never touch an on3 kit ever again if that helps your decision any, my life was miserable for a week installing that kit.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
It's really an apples/oranges comparison. The hellion kit is obviously higher quality (in terms of fitment and ease of installation).

So it's pick your poison. Do you want to spend more money and have the installation be a breeze, or do you want to save money and wrestle with a moderate amount of customization on your own.

Despite what you'd think, there's quite a few on3 kits running making good power and we're not seeing failed turbos or any sort of "their blowers are crap" type issues. The kits work once you get them in and running right.

As far as top mount or bottom mount, I have my own personal opinions but I'm not a turbo guy. One of the few disadvantages of turbskis is excess heat and that means either putting them under the car (in my opinion a risky(er) proposition from undesirable intake contamination and any sort of object/road strike) OR you put them in the engine bay where they keep it nice and toasty.

Have guys ran around with turbos under their car with no issues? Sure, but even some OEM's have had issues with low mount applications in snow. If you do low mount i'd make damned sure you have provisions to keep the intakes free of water and road debris.

Vegas5OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 PP
speaking of turbo failures, the on3 kit i did a turbo failed within 500 miles and they wouldn't warranty it.

Sponsored

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
My kit was a pain to install and I ended up having a ton of issues (not all on3 related), but it runs super hard now. I went with Comps though since I have a bottom mount and I absolutely love them. The car makes over 800 on 12 psi with ease. I usually run it around 14 psi on the streets and it moves like a scalded ape

OP
OP

exxit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 RaceRed GT 10r80
Thanks for all the feedback gents. I greatly appreciate it.

The car is a weekend/drag track car. Outside of taking it out when i specifically choose to, it will never be a "I need to take this car somewhere" vehicle if I can help it. I don't want to cook the 10r80 though and was curious if anyone saw that with the low mount.

So say I go with hellion sleeper, which turbos would one do (if they knew they turbos which I don't) if their goal was an eventual 8 second, but until the motor gives 9 second, street mannered car with the original 10speed. Smaller faster scrolling, or larger? Has anyone done their install and said "man if these turbos were a bit smaller and more efficient it would help with fitment and power"

I too am wary about running that much exhaust (granted less than a traditional kit with a hood exit) in the engine bay... Has anyone had this setup then swapped to low mount because of heat?

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Lots and lots of people have issues with the On3's fusebox relocation getting water in it and causing electrical problems

Stephen@lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Gt500
As someone that's ran a top mount kit myself, If I had to do it all over again, I would personally go with the Sleeper kit. The heat doesn't mess with the trans much if any and the location is just overall a better spot for the whole engine. I was having heating issues left and right with the setup being so close to the radiator. Hit me up though if you'd like to discuss the Hellion kits, I've used a couple of their setups on my personal cars in the past and I have nothing but great things to say about them. Plus I can get you a kit for a great deal. Lethalperformance.com

Sponsored

wazslow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
I have the Hellion Sleeper kit on my 2016. No issues so far, no melting or burning of anything. Car runs cool,, no issues there. Keep in mind, the turbos are pretty much where the cats were, which also get super hot. The car is designed to see high temperature in that area.

I have the Precision journal bearing 62/66's on my car and I'm completely happy with how it spools and runs. I wouldn't change anything. I plan to get the car to the track when the weather cools off. Hoping to see a 9 second pass if the transmission holds on long enough.

OP
OP

exxit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 RaceRed GT 10r80
As someone that's ran a top mount kit myself, If I had to do it all over again, I would personally go with the Sleeper kit. The heat doesn't mess with the trans much if any and the location is just overall a better spot for the whole engine. I was having heating issues left and right with the setup being so close to the radiator. Hit me up though if you'd like to discuss the Hellion kits, I've used a couple of their setups on my personal cars in the past and I have nothing but great things to say about them. Plus I can get you a kit for a great deal. Lethalperformance.com
I'll keep this in mind sir. I am currently having a hard time convincing my builder of the low mount but the more time I've spent reading the more stories I have heard just like yours. When you say top mount, were your turbos together in the center hanging in front of the motor/radiator?

I believe my builder is suggesting we get the on3 kit to have a top mount header and other reference pipes, and just remake anything flimsy or troubling. My argument is that I still think, even off too the sides, there will be too much heat trapped under the hood at idle for comfortable summer driving in the heat of california summers.

I'll also say that money isn't really an issue more than doing the right setup is... I feel like for a cali resident of at least the next 5 years (if I survive that long out here lol) the street sleeper does it right. I'll give you a ring if I land on that kit.

Any suggestions on what size/setup to go with on the turbos? I'd like to future proof a bit as a built motor and trans are in the future, but I figure the smaller they are the easier they'll fit down there. Maybe someone can correct me on that.

OP
OP

exxit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 RaceRed GT 10r80
I have the Hellion Sleeper kit on my 2016. No issues so far, no melting or burning of anything. Car runs cool,, no issues there. Keep in mind, the turbos are pretty much where the cats were, which also get super hot. The car is designed to see high temperature in that area.

I have the Precision journal bearing 62/66's on my car and I'm completely happy with how it spools and runs. I wouldn't change anything. I plan to get the car to the track when the weather cools off. Hoping to see a 9 second pass if the transmission holds on long enough.
6r80? I hear they rebuild into a monster pretty cheap if you don't completely grenade it.

wazslow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
6r80? I hear they rebuild into a monster pretty cheap if you don't completely grenade it.
I guess cheap is subjective. Clutches/steels, billet input shaft, billet planetary, having someone build it, is probably $4000ish.

OP
OP

exxit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 RaceRed GT 10r80
I guess cheap is subjective. Clutches/steels, billet input shaft, billet planetary, having someone build it, is probably $4000ish.
4k and it'll hold pretty much most you'll throw at it...

The fun of mustangs is that 4k wouldn't even get you a stage 2 trans in anything anywhere near as fast from the modern euro or japanese competitors
Sponsored