Sponsored

I "think" Ford secretly allows Ceratec.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Manual doe not say you should not modify your car. And yet ford denies warranty if applicable.
Read the warranty booklet. You can download it from Ford's website in PDF form and search for key words.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
If the problem occurred before even using an additive, why would Ford bother trying to deny a warranty claim when the issue was obviously prior to its use and they refused to do anything to fix it?

It's like saying, we know it's broken, and we aren't going to fix it, but if you try to fix it, then we won't cover you under warranty anymore because you're not competent. If that's the case, they could technically cancel everyone's warranty simply for changing their own oil, and forgetting to keep the receipts, and video proof of actually doing it.

Besides, I'm pretty sure Ford knows that Ceratec and Archoil do not cause harm to the engines. Especially if you add it in the correct amount. After all, they did the same thing with XL-17 for years.

ponyv6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ozzy
Vehicle(s)
2019 301A PP1 Velocity Blue
I am also debating about it myself. If I should add half bottle of ceratec to decrease the chances of tick/slap,
I already have the laud 2k rpm rattle since the day I picked it. I don't wanna risk to have any warranty issues.

OP
OP

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
That statement saying not to use additives because they could lead to engine damage. Well guess what? The engine is probably DAMAGED ALREADY (to a certain extent), because Ford built engines that knock and slap like a some old rust bucket. Adding a high tech additive is saving the bloody things. If anything, Ford should be HAPPY, and telling all of us to use Ceratec, so they don't have to keep replacing engines until they are out of warranty. LOL

Last edited:

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
I don't disagree with you Condor on using a quality additive. Ford would be smart to private label it or endorse it.
Your warranty is a legal and binding contract. You purchased the car and its warranty. Ford will honor their warranty with their conditions.... given to you in writing.
If you fail to meet your obligations of the contract Ford has the right to deny you coverage.
This isn't just a Ford thing. Ford even acknowledges their products aren't perfect in the owners manual and there are plenty of legit complaints and concerns. But name any widget manufacturer with a warranty that allows modification to its product without jeopardizing its warranty.

How we all suffer and I do believe it will get worse for the average owner is the folks who modify their cars and blow something up. Then try to Remove the mods and present it back to Ford blown up demanding it get fixed. From what I have seen Ford has been fixing things it shouldn't have based on the warranty contract. Those owners also seem to be the ones who cry and pout the most about Ford and the Mustang while amazingly publicly displaying their breech of the contract. Mr Deceit and Ms Kharma don't usually get along well ....maybe for a time ....but not for long.

Back in the 80's the first gen AOD had issues with a shudder. Ford and the garden tree mechanic both used an additive to aid with solving the issue.

Just my take on all this....
If I had the tick or rattle I'd play the waiting game a bit longer for an appropriate response and there will be one. So I just ordered some Cera Tec:)

Sponsored

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
We and Ford know that there have been some issues with ticks and rattles. They have replaced engines because of it. If I decide to add Ceratec as a preventative measure and my car eventually develops the rattle, I find it very difficult to believe that the first thing the dealer would do is analyze the oil to see if it contained an additive that caused the problem. If I was really concerned about it, (which I would not be), I would simply drain the oil and replace the filter prior to taking it in.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
We and Ford know that there have been some issues with ticks and rattles. They have replaced engines because of it. If I decide to add Ceratec as a preventative measure and my car eventually develops the rattle, I find it very difficult to believe that the first thing the dealer would do is analyze the oil to see if it contained an additive that caused the problem. If I was really concerned about it, (which I would not be), I would simply drain the oil and replace the filter prior to taking it in.
Do not get me wrong. I'm not saying ceratec is bad. But I wouldn't be explicit about it with ford.

If anyone needs a grain of salt about ceratec - I've seen a post of someone claiming ceratec did not behave well in freezing temperatures. And if I placed a bottle of ceratec into a freezer I'd not be surprised if it solidify.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Ford doesn't seem like they're fighting claims. The dealerships, from what I've read and experienced, are putting up the fight. Ford authorized my engine swap without even verifying a single problem. It was just "oh it makes noise? Shortblock." Then later a longblock after camshaft damage was found. Other people on here seem like they've gotten a swap with very little resistance as well.

I don't think I'll hop on the ceratec train, but I don't think one should worry about it voiding a warranty unless it did, in fact, cause or contribute to a premature failure. I'd be more concerned about the dealer using it as an excuse over Ford.

scotty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
If anyone needs a grain of salt about ceratec - I've seen a post of someone claiming ceratec did not behave well in freezing temperatures. And if I placed a bottle of ceratec into a freezer I'd not be surprised if it solidify.
I drive my car all year round and it has been between -10C and -20C here in the mornings for the past week and a half... I can tell you this is nothing but more nonsense someone has posted as fact. I don't doubt it would get thicker, like oil... but solidifying? Not a chance.

EDIT: Forgot to add that Ceratec has been in my sump since last August. Not a tick since.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I drive my car all year round and It has been between -10C and -20C here in the mornings for the past week and a half... I can tell you this is nothing but more nonsense someone has posted as fact. I don't doubt it would get thicker, like oil... but solidifying? Not a chance.
It has a mineral oil base. No way it solidifies. The Boron dilutes in 10qts of oil. No way that solidifies either.

Sponsored

hws52

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Yep, and Ford would have to prove the additive caused the damage if it got to that point (ie, to court). Of course they could say it did, then you'd have to take them to court to battle out the technical proof it did or didn't cause the failure. Most people are not going to spend the big money to do that, and then fold.
I disagree. Unless you have the data and take them to court, it is up to you to prove Ford or the dealer wrong. Nowadays even if you have a dealer that works with modders and is realistic if they file a claim with Ford and Ford denies it you are out of luck. Again you have to prove them wrong which would probably cost more then just paying to fix the problem.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I disagree. Unless you have the data and take them to court, it is up to you to prove Ford or the dealer wrong. Nowadays even if you have a dealer that works with modders and is realistic if they file a claim with Ford and Ford denies it you are out of luck. Again you have to prove them wrong which would probably cost more then just paying to fix the problem.
I said: "if it got to that point (ie, to court)" and also said: "then you'd have to take them to court to battle out the technical proof".

It takes two to go to court, and obviously the customer would have to file the court claim and prove Ford wrong, Ford sure isn't going to file any claim against a customer because they denied him warranty.

Ford would also have to provide all their technical information to support their claim that the Ceratec did the damage, they just can't sit there in court and say it did cause the damage with absolutely no proof to back up their claim either. That's not how court works, both sides need to back up their claims.

Last edited:

hws52

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
I said: "if it got to that point (ie, to court)" and also said: "then you'd have to take them to court to battle out the technical proof".

It takes two to go to court, and obviously the customer would have to file the court claim and prove Ford wrong, Ford sure isn't going to file any claim against a customer because they denied him warranty.

Ford would also have to provide all their technical information to support their claim that the Ceratec did the damage, they just can't sit there in court and say it did cause the damage with absolutely no proof to back up their claim either. That's not how court works, both sides need to back up their claims.
I agree in principle. To clarify my point in reality the odds are stacked in Ford's favor, they have all the data and you have to prove your side first. Ceratec or any additive company is not going to go above and beyond to help you fight your case. Meanwhile you are without your vehicle and spending money to try to force Ford to admit that they are wrong. Years ago the dealer would help you fight a warranty denial, nowadays its very hard to get a dealer to side with you.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree in principle. To clarify my point in reality the odds are stacked in Ford's favor, they have all the data and you have to prove your side first. Ceratec or any additive company is not going to go above and beyond to help you fight your case. Meanwhile you are without your vehicle and spending money to try to force Ford to admit that they are wrong. Years ago the dealer would help you fight a warranty denial, nowadays its very hard to get a dealer to side with you.
Obviously, and I agree. I never said it would be easy or worth while. Usually in a case like that somone will go to court because they feel that they have a good case and don't want to be bullied by a big car company.

If a motor got damaged or blew-up while using Ceratec, but a million others in the world using it over many years didnt have any reported engine problems from using it, then it doesn't take a rocket scientist to conclude some other factor caused the failure. I'd like to hear Ford try to prove it was caused by Ceratec.

Or in a similar situation where someone used 5W-30 instead of the 5W-20 recommended by Ford and the engine became damaged. We have seen many engines reported with damage while using 5W-20, so it's pretty obvious with proper oil (per Ford specs) these engines can have mechanical failures not related to the type of lubricant used.

Last edited:

3rdRGR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush RS2, 2011 Nissan Murano SV
If you add ceratec and do not bug them with engine tick and block replacement, ford probably will not mind.

If you have ceratec in your oil and bring car in with engine related complaint, - I wouldn't be so sure then. If they have to dump some oil during inspection, - they will notice oil contains weird substance and they might very well blame it in engine failure. Before you argue on this point, - dump some of your oil and post a picture here. Ceratec is very detectable visually and used oil does look very odd. Oil dipstick does not reflect that.
If you think you are having an 8,000 dollar engine failure and have used Ceratec, perhaps it might be worth it to do a 40 dollar oil change prior to taking it in. I'm on the fence right now. I didn't have the tick, then did an oil change, now I have it and the rattle just started yesterday... 7,200 miles. Wifey isn't happy and when I floated the "they probably won't do anything about it and are calling it normal" she gave the proverbial "Oh heeeeell no! It wasn't happening before!" Guess it costs more than just money to be cool....
Sponsored