Report: Next gen S650 Mustang will have full 8 year life cycle

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
talk about certified DELUSIONAL! If they clear 60,000 units /yr I'll eat my hat. Electrics are coming on fast even if by European legislative dictat with no fact-based rationalization. The people who buy Mustangs are dying off very fast and no amount of electrification is likely to change that.
At least global warming will be so severe we'll all be clamoring for drop-top I guess. /sarc
What's the 'vert mix today?
Delusional is thinking Eletric cars are a viable option.

Right now in California they are suffering blackouts. What happens when you canā€™t charge your car? Dig a little deeper and you will see gas stations everywhere. Those gas stations are energy stations that power cars. Now take those energy stations and delete them and estimate the number of new power lines required to replace them. New power stations take years to put on line. New backbones take decades.

Donā€™t get sold on the hype. Gas cars are not going anywhere for a long while. I would guess we are at the 8 track phase of eletric cars. I would expect 20-30 years before adoption is widespread. Also have to get away from lithium. Itā€™s terrible stuff.
Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
talk about certified DELUSIONAL! If they clear 60,000 units /yr I'll eat my hat. Electrics are coming on fast even if by European legislative dictat with no fact-based rationalization. The people who buy Mustangs are dying off very fast and no amount of electrification is likely to change that.
At least global warming will be so severe we'll all be clamoring for drop-top I guess. /sarc
What's the 'vert mix today?
Ford sold 102,000 Mustang globally in 2019

https://www.businessinsider.com/the...best-selling-sports-car-2019-2020-4?r=US&IR=T

OP
OP
Topnotch

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
Delusional is thinking Eletric cars are a viable option.

Right now in California they are suffering blackouts. What happens when you canā€™t charge your car? Dig a little deeper and you will see gas stations everywhere. Those gas stations are energy stations that power cars. Now take those energy stations and delete them and estimate the number of new power lines required to replace them. New power stations take years to put on line. New backbones take decades.

Donā€™t get sold on the hype. Gas cars are not going anywhere for a long while. I would guess we are at the 8 track phase of eletric cars. I would expect 20-30 years before adoption is widespread. Also have to get away from lithium. Itā€™s terrible stuff.
https://awards.journalists.org/entries/chasing-lithium/

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
People aren't buying new cars like they used to. Yes, it takes money to develop new technology. But it seems like prices are going up on EVERYTHING and people's paychecks are stagnant. They would get more sales if the price of a new vehicle wasn't outrageous. I'd bet the fat hog Ford Expedition XL grande huge or whatever they call it is $100k or almost touching it.

Back in 1995, a Ford Explorer could be had for as little as $18,985. A fully loaded Ford Explorer in 1995 was only $33,935.
In 2020, a Ford Explorer can be had for $32,765. That's almost what a FULLY LOADED Ford Explorer was back in 1995. A fully loaded 2020 Ford Explorer is $58,250!!!! RIDICULOUS!

Keep all the BS and give me an Explorer with a few features for $25,000.

This situation is the same for the Mustang too.
As the British say... this is complete rubbish mate!

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
A fully loaded Ford Explorer in 1995 was only $33,935.
In 2020, a Ford Explorer can be had for $32,765. That's almost what a FULLY LOADED Ford Explorer was back in 1995. A fully loaded 2020 Ford Explorer is $58,250!!!! RIDICULOUS!
you should have a good chat with your federal gov't, specifically CONgress and the "Federal" Reserve bank.
Because $34,000 in 1995 is equivalent in purchasing power to about $57,804.69 in 2020 due to currency debasement.

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
you should have a good chat with your federal gov't, specifically CONgress and the "Federal" Reserve bank.
Because $34,000 in 1995 is equivalent in purchasing power to about $57,804.69 in 2020 due to currency debasement.
A chat with the government is useless. They do what they want (2 faced). I don't want to turn this into politics so I'll stop there.

How do they expect someone to afford a new Mustang when they keep adding some kind of technology or "advancement" and raise the price? I'd count a new platform to be a reason they raise the price. Even if it does share with multiple vehicles. I'm thinking the Mustang will be out of a lot of people's budgets in less than a decade. Heck, it's out of a lot of budgets now! The used market is the only way for some.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
What I am concerned about is it being based on the Explorer/Aviator platform...I feel this is a mistake. The car is already quite large and heavy.

MikeyV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT Premium - Brembo - Race Red
People aren't buying new cars like they used to. Yes, it takes money to develop new technology. But it seems like prices are going up on EVERYTHING and people's paychecks are stagnant. They would get more sales if the price of a new vehicle wasn't outrageous. I'd bet the fat hog Ford Expedition XL grande huge or whatever they call it is $100k or almost touching it.

Back in 1995, a Ford Explorer could be had for as little as $18,985. A fully loaded Ford Explorer in 1995 was only $33,935.

Keep all the BS and give me an Explorer with a few features for $25,000.

This situation is the same for the Mustang too.
As the British say... this is complete rubbish mate!

Sir, that was 25 FULL YEARS AGO. A quarter CENTURY. Really 27 model years.

I have a theory that at some point a young person learns the value of money and what things cost, and that get's set in their mind.
I'm 42. To me, a candy bar or a can of soda should cost 50 cents. Now they're $1.25. I remember when new Mustangs were $13.5k. Those days are long gone.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Explorer/Aviator platform...I feel this is a mistake. The car is already quite large and heavy.
Explorer unit sales were less than Mustang, so with any luck by combining them, they both manage to survive. Personally I think the Explorer is dead man walking, and the Mustang will limp along as S550+one-off improvements here and there until Ford gets bought by VW. I would be happy if all Ford did was fix the several HUGE fuck-ups in their S550 design and started using AL in the skins and chassis where possible. The design spec should read 3500lb not to exceed weight...

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
What I am concerned about is it being based on the Explorer/Aviator platform...I feel this is a mistake. The car is already quite large and heavy.

In case you missed it, I posted earlier that one reliable Ford insider on Blue Oval Forums has indicated the new platform will be called D5. This is a mix of current the current D2C and new CD6. This was done to ensure S650 doesn't increase from its current size and weight.

Of course, until final specs are released, we won't know if this had been achieved.

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Sir, that was 25 FULL YEARS AGO. A quarter CENTURY. Really 27 model years.

I have a theory that at some point a young person learns the value of money and what things cost, and that get's set in their mind.
I'm 42. To me, a candy bar or a can of soda should cost 50 cents. Now they're $1.25. I remember when new Mustangs were $13.5k. Those days are long gone.
Ha! I agree with your candy bar and soda prices. Honestly, I don't need a huge portion size either. Cut the portions down and cut the price down. Unfortunately, they are cutting the portions down and raising the price!

I understand inflation, but it will get to a point that nobody can afford the price tag. Then what? Since nobody cuts prices, I guess that means bankruptcy for the company.

Explorer unit sales were less than Mustang, so with any luck by combining them, they both manage to survive. Personally I think the Explorer is dead man walking, and the Mustang will limp along as S550+one-off improvements here and there until Ford gets bought by VW. I would be happy if all Ford did was fix the several HUGE fuck-ups in their S550 design and started using AL in the skins and chassis where possible. The design spec should read 3500lb not to exceed weight...
The Explorer ST performs like a Mustang suv. There are tuned Explorer ST's running 0-60 in 3.9 and the 1/4 mile in 12.2.
In my opinion, that's insane for an suv. I know the Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk is stupid fast, but this Explorer is impressive nonetheless.

Sigma6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
02ā€™ 360, 06ā€™ GT, 11ā€™ GT500, 15ā€™ 911, 17ā€™ 350
People aren't buying new cars like they used to. Yes, it takes money to develop new technology. But it seems like prices are going up on EVERYTHING and people's paychecks are stagnant.
The automotive industry is hot in 2020. Granted many (not all) people having extra cash in their pockets from the stimulus & and using it on a car purchase vs their summer or spring vacations has helped. Getting rebates, %, Or both has been strong pull to come in. The Average car on the road today is around 8year ish (donā€™t quote me). I canā€™t speak to everybody nationwide, but my sector is up year over year for the last couple months in new car sales vs 2019 or 2018. Itā€™s nothing new, prices have always increased. The big 3 gotta pay to play. Unions are killing keeping prices low. That something that will never change. But also A lot of people are more condition when shopping to go by monthly payments then overall costs. So youā€™re getting people in 60 72 84 mo loans pretty easy.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
In case you missed it, I posted earlier that one reliable Ford insider on Blue Oval Forums has indicated the new platform will be called D5. This is a mix of current the current D2C and new CD6. This was done to ensure S650 doesn't increase from its current size and weight.

Of course, until final specs are released, we won't know if this had been achieved.

They said the same thing with the S550...deja-vu.

Matti777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I don't know if I am a typical buyer or not. I think the GT is a good touring car but its also a modern muscle car which is what many buyers want. The Coyote motor is what makes the car for me. If they are thinking about doing away with the 5.0 they better come up with a hell of a replacement.

MikeyV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT Premium - Brembo - Race Red
Ha! I agree with your candy bar and soda prices. Honestly, I don't need a huge portion size either. Cut the portions down and cut the price down. Unfortunately, they are cutting the portions down and raising the price!

I understand inflation, but it will get to a point that nobody can afford the price tag. Then what? Since nobody cuts prices, I guess that means bankruptcy for the company.

The Explorer ST performs like a Mustang suv. There are tuned Explorer ST's running 0-60 in 3.9 and the 1/4 mile in 12.2.
In my opinion, that's insane for an suv. I know the Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk is stupid fast, but this Explorer is impressive nonetheless.

Totally.
And I have a huge hard-on for the Explorer ST. The new styling along with the CD6/longitudinal architecture....drool.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.