Sponsored

Come on Ford...really? Oil filter drain tricks?

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
1) Poke hole in filter with a screw driver - just takes a couple light taps. Drain.
2) Aluminum foil
3) Smile at how clean of an oil change you just did...
Yup, 1) works. A few taps on the filter with a sharp screw driver and a funnel placed below the hole just made. Then just wait a minute or two before unscrewing the filter. No spillage.
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Yup, 1) works. A few taps on the filter with a sharp screw driver and a funnel placed below the hole just made. Then just wait a minute or two before unscrewing the filter. No spillage.

Completely failed me. I poked a hole in the filter. Let it drain for a good while, and still managed to spill a stupid amount of oil all over the place removing the filter. This one wasn't a Ford filter tho, it was some autozone crap that a shop installed after they fixed a small oil leak. I immediately replaced it with a Ford filter.

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
Completely failed me. I poked a hole in the filter. Let it drain for a good while, and still managed to spill a stupid amount of oil all over the place removing the filter. This one wasn't a Ford filter tho, it was some autozone crap that a shop installed after they fixed a small oil leak. I immediately replaced it with a Ford filter.
Ah, maybe it does not work equally well for all filters? Mine was the standard Ford/Motorcraft filter, and my car was also slightly angled with the front a little higher. Maybe that helped in draining a little extra from the filter.

15ThreePoint7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang V6 MT 2019 F150 STX Ecoboost 2.7
Anyone done a filter relocation? Thinking about doing one to add a cooler.

dguzzi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 V6 w/051A Met. Guard w/foundry wheels
Working on that right now. I might add it this fall.
Moving it to the drivers side up above the exhaust shield. I'm working on a heat shield just in case its needed.

Sponsored

el-guapin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tesla.com
Vehicle(s)
1949 UFO
Have aluminum foil with great success many times!. Another trick that has worked for me is using plastic bags. Gets the oil and the filter. Just make sure the bag has no holes!

dguzzi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 V6 w/051A Met. Guard w/foundry wheels
Working on that right now. I might add it this fall.
Moving it to the drivers side up above the exhaust shield. I'm working on a heat shield just in case its needed.
Minor update:
I see there is a difference in flow rates from the filter normally used and the ones used for relocation kits. In order to use the Fl500s filter I need to have an adapter made. Covid slowed me down but I hope to get a drawing done and see what local machine shop can do for me. My guess is less $$ to have a few made than just one. Maybe I can interest others? Or maybe you guys have lathe experience? Its just to adapt threads 3/4-16 to 22x1.5mm. I now have an F150 with 5.0 that takes the same filter so I can make multi vehicle recommendations.
Stay tuned I plan to follow up on this as weather allows.

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
Did the first oil change on the '17 3.7 last night. Did the engine design people never talk to any of the other engineers? The oil filter is placed so that when it's loosened, it drips oil right onto the wiring going to what I'm assuming is the electronic steering control.

Cleaned it all up sure - but someone has to have dealt with this? Foil? What? Anyone got a trick that keeps the oil off the wiring / rack and pinion?
Cut a plastic milk jug up for a flexable funnel. That's what I do.
Sponsored