Short Headers

christianUK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Vehicle(s)
GT auto
I'm looking to improve on the stock headers, but probably not go all the way to long tubes. Mine is going to be a street car anyway rather than a racer, so these will help more with low end grunt. It looks like BBK will be making shorties for RHD mustangs sooner or later - got this email today after enquiring:

Subject: RE: BBK Shorty for Right Hand Drive Mustang GT S550
Date: 20 September 2016 at 22:05:52 BST

Hi Christian,
We currently do not have headers for a right hand drive S550 Mustang, but we are working on them and will hopefully have these available soon. We will email you when they are available.

Thanks,
Wayne
Sponsored

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
That is more good news, but long tubes on our cars should not lose torque or power anywhere in the power range, infact we should see gains everywhere 1500 upwards with long tubes, I guess shorties would just make the torque gain lower down even greater. :)

OP
OP
christianUK

christianUK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Vehicle(s)
GT auto
Yup - and you're the performance expert so I would trust your judgement as to upgrades. I just have less of an appetite for moving the cats etc. so I'm sort of going for the easy option. I have ground clearance concerns (farm track to front door) and if those Kooks long tube headers are pointing straight down I'm worried about bashing something.

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Yup - and you're the performance expert so I would trust your judgement as to upgrades. I just have less of an appetite for moving the cats etc. so I'm sort of going for the easy option. I have ground clearance concerns (farm track to front door) and if those Kooks long tube headers are pointing straight down I'm worried about bashing something.

True and in theory shorties will not set of the CEL/MIL/Emissions light on the car as such in theory no re-tune would be required and you'd still see some gains.

For essence a no tune PMAS, shorties, catback would probably get you to around 450BHP without a tune. With a tune though would be around 480-490BHP.

Long tubes will take you over 500 and I've be not so impressed if any of the designs hang low enough to catch, would be a design flaw.

MrWolf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
MY2018 Magnetic Auto GT
Sounds very interesting. Looking forward to hearing more about these

Sponsored

maddog1982

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (S550)
Did these ever get brought to market?

SpArKy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Did these ever get brought to market?
there is someone and forgive me I can't remember their name, who produces a right hand shortie header for us that is less compromised than the stock item. That seemed like a good option as it gets you over the horrible right header design without going all out on the long tubes.

on LTH group clearance, kooks are the best option as they are more like mid length not true Long tubes. ARH are a fair bit longer and the cats are therefore lower and further back.
Sponsored