MAF Sensor Contaminated - Replace?

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
Okay - here is the deal. I have a '16 GT with the Ford Powerpack 2 installed (GT350 CAI/Throttle Body). I was travelling and the car was parked outside (I know) when we recieved 4" of rain with high winds. Apparently the wind blew rain IN thru the heat extractors and soaked the air filter and left water in the air box. Unaware of this I started her up and took off, 1 block later and a huge BUCK the engine died and would not restart. Ran the codes and it pointed at the MAF Sensor. Pulled the MAF Sensor and it was full of water as was the filter (poured about 1/2c water out) and the intake tube and air box. Dried it all out, blew off the MAF and it started up and ran fine.

Question - should I replace the MAF Sensor after it has been contaminated with rain water? It seems like the idle is a bit off now but that may just be me being overly sensitive. Opinions?
Sponsored

scotty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I had something similar happen... there's no need to replace if it's working once dried out. In my case, I noticed some surging while driving around town so I sprayed the MAF with CRC MAF cleaner and it was fine after that. Any contamination will throw off the fuel trims a bit.

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Did you have water in the throttle body?

Any weird noises with the engine now?

OP
OP
vernonator

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Did you have water in the throttle body?

Any weird noises with the engine now?
There was water in the intake tube right by the filter, but I am not sure how far down it got. I assume that when I hit the gas it sucked it up and it fouled the MAF. I will get some MAF cleaner and give it a good spraying (see above recommendation). No odd noises, drove it 350mi home and no issues and no codes/check engine lights, etc. Hopefully it was just freaked out by the MAF being full of water and no long term damage.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Clean the MAF sensor, let it dry. It should be ok after it’s dried. Remove the air intake tubing and use a hair dryer or air gun and blow out all moisture. Make sure the air box is dry as well.

If the filter is wet - set it aside and let it completely dry. Install a new one if you have it. You don’t want to leave a damp filter in place and then try to start the car again - the moisture will be pulled right out of it and sucked over the MAF again.

At the throttle body, dry what you can and afterward just shoot some throttle body cleaner over the butterfly valve and within the opening. TB cleaner will evaporate.

Also check the connections going to the MAF, make sure they are not loose and also make sure that the wire pins are pushed all the way into and inside of the connectors. Loose MAF wires have been known to cause stalling or shut down issues.

Last edited:

Sponsored

rob_s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Has cleaning it held for you?

I just came across this thread because my dealer called me back saying the MAF is f***ed. I have the PP2 and was parked for about 2 hours in the heavy rain we got from Olga last Saturday. Parked facing south, with the wind out of the northeast, perfect to inundate the hood vent above the open airbox. Went out to start it, engine fired and died. Gave it a little gas, but it idled rough and had service advancetrac, no t/c, no hill start, and wrench icons on the dash. Drove so bad (surging revs and rough idle) I pulled over and had it towed in, and they just got to it today. Luckily they're mod-friendly, Roush and Steeda dealer, and they're replacing it under the extended warranty, so I only pay the first $50. But I'm curious if it happens again after the warranty expires if I can get away with cleaning it.

wazatataza

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Has cleaning it held for you?

I just came across this thread because my dealer called me back saying the MAF is f***ed. I have the PP2 and was parked for about 2 hours in the heavy rain we got from Olga last Saturday. Parked facing south, with the wind out of the northeast, perfect to inundate the hood vent above the open airbox. Went out to start it, engine fired and died. Gave it a little gas, but it idled rough and had service advancetrac, no t/c, no hill start, and wrench icons on the dash. Drove so bad (surging revs and rough idle) I pulled over and had it towed in, and they just got to it today. Luckily they're mod-friendly, Roush and Steeda dealer, and they're replacing it under the extended warranty, so I only pay the first $50. But I'm curious if it happens again after the warranty expires if I can get away with cleaning it.
bump. Had a similar issue with the trackspec vents. The hydro shield did nothing for me.

OP
OP
vernonator

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Follow up here - its been a year and I have had no issues since my MAF was flooded. When I got home from my trip I got a can of MAF cleaner and gave it a good dousing and have done nothing since.

wazatataza

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Follow up here - its been a year and I have had no issues since my MAF was flooded. When I got home from my trip I got a can of MAF cleaner and gave it a good dousing and have done nothing since.
thank you! I’ll buy some MAF cleaner and give it a good clean. Appreciate the response. Hopefully the CEL goes away afterwards.
Sponsored