OP
OP
SHxTGUN

SHxTGUN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP2
Update: Car had been fine for the last week so I was hoping this had gone away after that 3rd repair at the dealership. But just yesterday I got the issue again and the idle was super rough.

Called a new dealership today for an appointment tomorrow and while I was talking to the rep, a strange coincidence happened. My first CEL came up out of this whole ordeal and we both had some hope. Took it to an Autozone just cause I was curious before I take it in tomorrow and the codes I got were:

P0012 - Intake Camshaft Position Timing
P0300 - Random Misfire
P0302 - Cylinder 2 Misfire
P0308 - Cylinder 8 Misfire

So it looks like it may be the VCT Solenoids or maybe the Intake Cam Phaser? Also, would that be causing all these misfires? I'm guessing so right? It should all be the related to each other?
Sponsored

ktp1598

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona Blue California Special
I own a 2019 as well though I don't have any issues. I am interested at what fixes it though. Please keep the updates coming!

Jaay_d5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Gt
Oh shoot a cel hasn
Update: Car had been fine for the last week so I was hoping this had gone away after that 3rd repair at the dealership. But just yesterday I got the issue again and the idle was super rough.

Called a new dealership today for an appointment tomorrow and while I was talking to the rep, a strange coincidence happened. My first CEL came up out of this whole ordeal and we both had some hope. Took it to an Autozone just cause I was curious before I take it in tomorrow and the codes I got were:

P0012 - Intake Camshaft Position Timing
P0300 - Random Misfire
P0302 - Cylinder 2 Misfire
P0308 - Cylinder 8 Misfire

So it looks like it may be the VCT Solenoids or maybe the Intake Cam Phaser? Also, would that be causing all these misfires? I'm guessing so right? It should all be the related to each other?
oh shoot a check engine light hasn’t popped up for me yet i still need to get it diagnosed. Have you took your car in yet? If so how long you going to be without it?

OP
OP
SHxTGUN

SHxTGUN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP2
Oh shoot a cel hasn

oh shoot a check engine light hasn’t popped up for me yet i still need to get it diagnosed. Have you took your car in yet? If so how long you going to be without it?
Yeah I took it in yesterday morning to a different dealership about 30m away from me. The CEL went away after I filled it up with gas right before I went to the dealership but I had brought it to autozone the day before so I had the CEL code printout with the codes still on it. I gave all the info to my service advisor.

As for how long, I’m not sure. He said the dealership was booked for a week or two straight but since he was a fellow mustang owner and he understood my situation and the hassle I’ve been through, he took my in the next day from when I called. So they’re pretty busy I’m guessing, but when I get a call back with an update from him, I’ll post here.

Goterr0r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Does the car have the stock intake on it? Could it have been tuned in the past or had a different intake on it since you bought it used? Symptoms kind of remind me of having an intake without a tune. Or the tune setup for an intake with the stock one on it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
SHxTGUN

SHxTGUN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP2
Does the car have the stock intake on it? Could it have been tuned in the past or had a different intake on it since you bought it used? Symptoms kind of remind me of having an intake without a tune. Or the tune setup for an intake with the stock one on it.
Stock intake and stock tune. At least to my knowledge it’s a stock tune. None of the dealerships have mentioned anything of anything being modified in that regard.

OP
OP
SHxTGUN

SHxTGUN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP2
Okay guys just an update: service advisor just called and told me they preformed the VCT TSB (someone linked it earlier in this thread) and said he cycled it 10 times to make sure any debris was cleared away and that they couldn’t get the issue to show up anymore. I asked if they replaced anything and he said no they just performed what the TSB said and cycled it 10 times.

I’m gonna pick up the car here soon and see how it does over the next week or two. I’m hoping this was it.

Jaay_d5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Gt
Okay guys just an update: service advisor just called and told me they preformed the VCT TSB (someone linked it earlier in this thread) and said he cycled it 10 times to make sure any debris was cleared away and that they couldn’t get the issue to show up anymore. I asked if they replaced anything and he said no they just performed what the TSB said and cycled it 10 times.

I’m gonna pick up the car here soon and see how it does over the next week or two. I’m hoping this was it.
How has your car been ? Havent had any issues of stalking just a few rough idles

OP
OP
SHxTGUN

SHxTGUN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP2
How has your car been ? Havent had any issues of stalking just a few rough idles
I haven't driven it quite as much as I would like, but yeah for now it seems to have gotten a lot better after they cycled the VCT solenoids. I have felt a bit of a rough idle only a couple times but it's no where near as bad as it was before and no the car hasn't came close to stalling again.

It's still early though and I wanna put more miles on it, but for now it seems much better. I'll keep this updated on if it comes back in a severe way.

How about you? Has your car been fine since the last time you had the issue too?

Sponsored

Loboman777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
I haven't driven it quite as much as I would like, but yeah for now it seems to have gotten a lot better after they cycled the VCT solenoids. I have felt a bit of a rough idle only a couple times but it's no where near as bad as it was before and no the car hasn't came close to stalling again.

It's still early though and I wanna put more miles on it, but for now it seems much better. I'll keep this updated on if it comes back in a severe way.

How about you? Has your car been fine since the last time you had the issue too?
Wow,

Wow, I’m so happy to read a thread where someone has something very similar to me. I bought a Used 2019 Mustang GT with 28K miles from a dealer in Florida and shipped it to my house in Boston. The car drove great for 2-3 weeks until I started noticing the same symptoms you described. The unstable RPMs (Bouncing only 100-200 off of the 550-600 RPMs heated up) at idle made the car rattle (no codes).
I thought it be prudent to get an oil change and sure enough shortly after I got P0012.
I took it to the Ford dealership near my house who first said I had the wrong oil in/not enough in, so we did oil change which maybe fixed the code temporarily (or maybe not) so the second time I took it they replaced the Mass air flow sensor, didn’t fix the problem and I started to get P0300 and P0304 and 2 engine stalls. Took it back again for the third time where it is now, where they are waiting on help from Ford because they can’t do anything further to clear the codes (tried replacing a cam sensor or something).
Because this problem is so intermittent it sure does seem like maybe a valve on the intake or these solenoids could be the culprit, so I told them to cycle these solenoids on Monday to try to see if this will help since it seems to be helping you.
The dealer thinks something could be wrong with the phasers so I want to make sure we do all the easy things before going to that point.
Anyways, thanks for all of your info because this problem really is frustrating.

OP
OP
SHxTGUN

SHxTGUN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP2
Do you know what was exactly done to them? Just curious. Thx.
According to my advisor and the invoice sheet, they cycled the VCT 10 times as per the TSB. The cycling was meant to try to clear any debris that may have been in there.

Wow,

Wow, I’m so happy to read a thread where someone has something very similar to me. I bought a Used 2019 Mustang GT with 28K miles from a dealer in Florida and shipped it to my house in Boston. The car drove great for 2-3 weeks until I started noticing the same symptoms you described. The unstable RPMs (Bouncing only 100-200 off of the 550-600 RPMs heated up) at idle made the car rattle (no codes).
I thought it be prudent to get an oil change and sure enough shortly after I got P0012.
I took it to the Ford dealership near my house who first said I had the wrong oil in/not enough in, so we did oil change which maybe fixed the code temporarily (or maybe not) so the second time I took it they replaced the Mass air flow sensor, didn’t fix the problem and I started to get P0300 and P0304 and 2 engine stalls. Took it back again for the third time where it is now, where they are waiting on help from Ford because they can’t do anything further to clear the codes (tried replacing a cam sensor or something).
Because this problem is so intermittent it sure does seem like maybe a valve on the intake or these solenoids could be the culprit, so I told them to cycle these solenoids on Monday to try to see if this will help since it seems to be helping you.
The dealer thinks something could be wrong with the phasers so I want to make sure we do all the easy things before going to that point.
Anyways, thanks for all of your info because this problem really is frustrating.
It really is frustrating. Even more so that I've been seeing a lot more posts and people having very similar issues with the Mustangs. It's really not fun to deal with when you have your engine stalling out on the road. Anyways, yeah no problem about the info. I would try the VCT since, yes, that is one of the easier routes to go for at first. I have also heard of the phasers and also I just saw a thread here just now to where it was someone's fuel rail pressure sensor. It just makes it a bit more complicated knowing it can be so many different things and for some reasons dealers can't seem to find the issue so easily.

Just a quick update: Last time I was on the road I did feel a bit more rough idle at times. It was only a couple times, not on the entire drive. And again, it wasn't as bad as before. But I will keep driving it and see if this turns back into the severe issue from before or if it'll just be one of those things that I'll have to deal with from time to time with this car unfortunately. A slight rough idle every now and then is okay I guess, but I'll look out to see how much worse it gets. Here on the east coast of Florida, we have a bit of a tropical storm rolling through today so not sure if it'll be today, but if not, then sometime this week.

Loboman777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
According to my advisor and the invoice sheet, they cycled the VCT 10 times as per the TSB. The cycling was meant to try to clear any debris that may have been in there.

It really is frustrating. Even more so that I've been seeing a lot more posts and people having very similar issues with the Mustangs. It's really not fun to deal with when you have your engine stalling out on the road. Anyways, yeah no problem about the info. I would try the VCT since, yes, that is one of the easier routes to go for at first. I have also heard of the phasers and also I just saw a thread here just now to where it was someone's fuel rail pressure sensor. It just makes it a bit more complicated knowing it can be so many different things and for some reasons dealers can't seem to find the issue so easily.

Just a quick update: Last time I was on the road I did feel a bit more rough idle at times. It was only a couple times, not on the entire drive. And again, it wasn't as bad as before. But I will keep driving it and see if this turns back into the severe issue from before or if it'll just be one of those things that I'll have to deal with from time to time with this car unfortunately. A slight rough idle every now and then is okay I guess, but I'll look out to see how much worse it gets. Here on the east coast of Florida, we have a bit of a tropical storm rolling through today so not sure if it'll be today, but if not, then sometime this week.
Well my fingers are crossed that eventually someone will have the answer to this if it keeps popping up. I’m definitely more discouraged though hearing that you are sort of experiencing the bad symptoms again...it’s not fun and even borderline dangerous to have a car that could stall out when you are in an intersection waiting to turn left.
Please tell me if this is crazy: Because it seems like the problem happens at low RPMs, can the baseline RPMs just be set higher? I mean I bought a GT because I don’t care about paying more for gas. It would be nice to even just try this to see if the problem stops.
Hope the storm isn’t bad!

Shawn2018GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 401A Auto
I may have the same issue. When I start the engine cold, first thing in the morning, it starts fine, and then as it is idling, at 15 seconds it starts to backfire for 10 seconds, and then everything is normal. Ir does this the same way each morning. Sometimes its strong enough to to throw a code "misfire on #3".

Loboman777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
I may have the same issue. When I start the engine cold, first thing in the morning, it starts fine, and then as it is idling, at 15 seconds it starts to backfire for 10 seconds, and then everything is normal. Ir does this the same way each morning. Sometimes its strong enough to to throw a code "misfire on #3".
Have you had stalls at lights or anything? Does the problem go away for you then after the start all the time?
Have you had it looked at or diagnosed further?
Sponsored