Sponsored

Does getting a 20 when you have a 15 auto make sense?

Chris Meyers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang (soon)
Ordered the first year S550 and wondering if the 18+ changes make a big difference in how it feels/ performs? I have the old 5 speed automatic and a non performance pack. Thinking of going 10 speed and PP1. Any thoughts on if it's even worth it? My 15 is in beautiful perfect shape. Never had a single problem. 60K miles, motor feels the same as when I got it, just starts every time. That makes it harder a decision to trade in because I just paid it off and I could go another 10 years without buying another car because its everything I need.
Sponsored

AGM2018

Ordered the first year S550 and wondering if the 18+ changes make a big difference in how it feels/ performs? I have the old 5 speed automatic and a non performance pack. Thinking of going 10 speed and PP1. Any thoughts on if it's even worth it? My 15 is in beautiful perfect shape. Never had a single problem. 60K miles, motor feels the same as when I got it, just starts every time. That makes it harder a decision to trade in because I just paid it off and I could go another 10 years without buying another car because its everything I need.
"Never had a single problem. 60K miles, motor feels the same as when I got it, just starts every time. That makes it harder a decision to trade in because I just paid it off and I could go another 10 years without buying another car because its everything I need."

You answered your own question with your comment above...were I you, I wouldn't even think of trading it in. If your "pockets are deep enough", look around and find a low mileage certified used 18+ and pay thousands less than a brand new 2020. And if you have an 2015 GT with an automatic transmission, I am 99.9% certain it is a six speed automatic, vice a five speed automatic. YMMV.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Although I have enjoyed and continue to enjoy my car, I don't really see myself trading up to a 5.0 when the time comes. If I'm making a move, I want a car that is all around better, not just the motor so I'm hoping to hold on to this car for as long as I can (lets say another 4-5 years) and make the jump into a Corvette.

Having a paid off car is a nice thing, you don't have to worry about payments anymore and can just let that money grow. Especially since you haven't had any problems thus far, just enjoy life with it! If you want, throw some mods at it.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Nope.

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP

Chris Meyers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang (soon)
Wait till FORD drops GODZILLA into it.
Yeah, I don't know if I can give up the V8. I do LOVE the truck based solid rear axle. If I am being completely honest, my 2005 Mustang (also ordered new when the S197 came out) was 100 times more fun to drive than my 15. I mean it's shocking. 100 less horsepower but 100 times more fun stoplight to stoplight. Over the years, I think Ive figured out that I just prefer solid rear axles. Hopefully they put the 5.0 into the Bronco.

FirstGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ingot Silver '18 GT 400a PP1
I went from a 15 gt manual to 18 gt manual with pp1. Both have premium trim. I wanted the extra little factory hp which I figured was equal to my tuned 15. Also wanted android auto and "upgrading" to pp1 was icing on cake. My 15 was pretty solid outside the ac evaporator issue. I also had about 65k on it which with the amount of miles I drive was adding up quickly.

I wish I had realized how much the new gearing was different bc it just drives a lot different. Though no tune could be affecting it. But I find myself in 3rd and 4th a lot more. 5 is awful and 6th is useless outside of cruising, I mean 6th always was useless but especially so. Again, could be bc of no tune. Prob not a concern for you due to A10

Overall I'm happy. Yes I know I could've done most of upgrades via mods but this thing is stock minus axle backs and clutch spring which I'm happy about. I do have the typewriter noise which my 15 didn't so that kinda sucks but oh well.

Good luck with decision. Not sure my rambling helped any

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I don't think there is a right answer. Everyone is different, especially when it comes to cars. I wouldn't trade simply for a newer model of the same car. But, I have no problem buying something different as soon as I save the money to pay for it... could be months or could be years. My only rule is it has to be with money that I put in my car account, nothing more.

Onlyone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 5.0 PP1 301A A10
I would buy the 20. Don’t even look back. If you’re asking the question, you’ve made up your mind.

Sponsored

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
I say do it. My buddy has a 15 GT Premium Auto and when he drove my 2020 GT Premium Auto he said it was faster and the extras like MagneRide and Active Exhaust sold him so now he's looking for a 2020 with PP1, AE and MagneRide.

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
I’ve found I like a car a lot more once it’s paid off. Maybe my expectations aren’t as high. Verses when you pay $40-50k for one they don’t seem to live up to what they cost. I’d keep the ‘15 and get a Bronco.

Plus your ‘15 has already proven to be solid.

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
Save your payments for the down payment, sell your car privately for best money. Order a MACH 1 . You will have the performance, and a completly different car. Buy an old Pickup to drive and resale until MACH 1 arrives.

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Save your payments for the down payment, sell your car privately for best money. Order a MACH 1 . You will have the performance, and a completly different car. Buy an old Pickup to drive and resale until MACH 1 arrives.
This what I’m doing! 15 GT prem manual will be just paid off when I drive off the lot in my Mach in March

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
If you were going from a manual 15 to a new manual 20, I would say no but the 18+ 10spd was a huge upgrade that takes advantage of the sweet gen3 Coyote.
Sponsored