JustDSM's 2020 Oxford White PP1 "Mig"

JustDSM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
In the late evening hours of January 22nd 2020, I picked up my new project, a 2020 Oxford White 301A PP1 with manual transmission after a LONG hiatus from "cars" while I put myself through school and career change. I wanted something that was a departure from the AWD Turbo cars I'd spent my so many years tinkering with. I wanted a new challenge and a new experience..

I am a little behind in documenting my build so I figure now or never..

Current as of 26JUN20:
IMG_7302.jpg

Engine/Drivetrain:
HPTuners reflash: Tune by: JustDSM
AEM DryFlow Drop-in Air Filter
FRPP Catch Can (Passenger)
Boomba Sound Symposer Delete
Corsa Sport Cat-Back Exhaust

Suspension/Chassis:

FRPP Track Dampers (F/R)
BMR Handling Springs (F/R)
Steeda Full Length Jacking Rails

Front:
Steeda Camber Plates
BMR 35mm Adjustable Sway Bar
BMR Adjustable Sway Bar End Links
Steeda Tension Link Bearings
Steeda Lateral Links w/ Extended Ball Joints (Roll-center correction)
Steeda Bumpsteer Kit
FRPP/ARP Extended Wheel Studs
OP Mustang 25 & 20mm Hub-Centric Spacers

Rear:
Steeda IRS Subframe Support Braces
Steeda Subframe Alignment Kit
Steeda Subframe Bushing Support System
Steeda Rear Camber Adjustment Kit
BMR Rear Shock Mount
BMR "Premium" RLCA Bearing
BMR Adjustable Sway Bar End Links
FRPP Toe-Knuckle Bearings

Wheels/Tires:
Stock PP1 Wheels
w/ 255/275 Michelin PS4S

LMR SVE SP2 19x11 +50 (Graphite)
w/ 305/30/19 Michelin PS4S

Coming Soon!?
Corsa Sport Cat-Back Exhaust

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shortly after signing the paperwork the previous evening.
IMG_6985.JPG

About 2 weeks later I decided it was time to baseline the car and see what I was working with.. Still on the same tank of gas that the Dealer filled it up with. (Forgive the horrible layout of the sheet.)
Dyno Run.PNG

Two weeks later I attended my first AutoX! Had a blast and really got acquainted with the car, in a way that I could never be learned on the street. Ended up doing pretty well all things considered.
IMG_7062.JPG

In car video (Forgive the horrible RAM mount, I need to upgrade that!):

Results: (I'm car #51): http://www.ntaxs.com/uploads/2/5/5/1/25513290/2020_1_mar_1_fin.htm

What I learned:
  • I have a lot to learn!
  • I'm hooked!
  • Front end of the car felt great. Lots of roll and not much static camber made things difficult for the PS4S's, but the front of the car felt pretty well sorted in comparison.. I definitely will have more negative camber in it for the next event.
  • The rear of car felt "disconnected". It definitely wanted to rotate under throttle which I used to my advantage at times, but it just didn't communicate what it was doing very well. Undoubtably my "driver mod" is weak, but the rear of the car didn't jive well with me.
  • Lots and lots of body roll. Will need to address.
  • The car had more than enough power for me at my driving level. I found it difficult to read the course at times (more so in the first session) at the speed I was approaching each section. I'm sure this is more a product of my first autox event than the raw speed I was traveling.
  • I need to USE the brakes. My first runs I realized I was giving up a lot of time by being too gentle with the brakes. I dropped my times significantly in the 2nd session by being consciously more aggressive on the middle pedal. The stock PP1 brakes were good, but their ability is taxed by the porky nature of the car no doubt.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
JustDSM

JustDSM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
After the first AutoX..

IMG_7089.jpg

Got the Steeda camber plates, subframe braces, alignment kit, bushing support system and BMR SP083/FRPP Track dampers installed! This was my first time wrenching on a Mustang so I took my time, learned that while Ford at least uses metric fasteners, the sizing of their hardware is quite a bit different than the standard 8mm, 10mm, 12mm 14mm, 17mm and 19mm stuff that I'm accustom too. Made for a few more trips to and from the toolbox!

After looking at what I was working with, It made logical sense that lowering the subframe to get the springs in would require the least amount of work and not have to mess with torquing bushings/bearings at ride height to get them in proper orientation. Pretty simple ordeal and I was already going to be messing with those fasteners for the alignment and bushing supports.

IMG_7081.jpg

IMG_7082.jpg

IMG_7083.jpg

IMG_7085.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
JustDSM

JustDSM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
Started to get acquainted with the setup and put a few miles on things. My biggest gripe with the setup was how "bouncy" the rear felt. After some research (mostly following @Brian@BMVK's advice) I determined the BMR shock mounts were just what I was looking for. Low profile, lightweight, with a bearing that replaces the spongy rubber bushing in the stock mounts. Thankfully I was able to score a set of brand new ones in the marketplace 2nd hand.

I was completely floored with how composed the FRPP Track shocks/BMR SP083's were. Perfectly damped for mere mortals, yet compliant on the horrible roads we have in my area. As happy as I was.. and while the car was up, I couldn't help myself...

61031258316__D31BD77D-1062-4AE6-AF09-0409C929635D.JPG

IMG_7240.jpg

IMG_7244.jpg

IMG_7348.jpg

IMG_7349.jpg

IMG_7353.jpg

IMG_7371.jpg

Had a hell of a time beating on the spindle to get the lateral and tension links free. Picked up this thing: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0819Y6NHQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Made the job SO much easier! Pretty simple install really.

The BMR RLCA bearing install was a bit of a chore. Left the camber link and half-shafts in the knuckle and just dropped the lower control arm out. It's a pretty involved endeavor, but not terribly difficult. The shop I took the arms too had no problems pressing out the OE bushings and getting the BMR bearings back in. Charged me an hour labor for both control arms. Figured that was fair.

Last edited:

frestylmotox01

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1, 18 F150 Lariat
Looks good and the Auto X looks like fun. Love Oxford White.

OP
OP
JustDSM

JustDSM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
Looks good and the Auto X looks like fun. Love Oxford White.
Appreciate your feedback and props! AutoX in this car was a blast! I had always thought of myself as a pretty decent driver and was ever so humbled by the track. I knew enough to know that I had MUCH to learn and improve on. I think everyone should attend at least one AutoX or some form of "performance" driving event in a closed course setting to really learn the limits of their car, but more importantly themselves. Highly recommended from this newbie. :)

Thanks for stopping by, hope you're able to follow along as the build continues.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JustDSM

JustDSM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
My Borla S-Type cat-back showed up today!

Spent a few moments to get the car back up on the jack stands and yank the factory exhaust. Working alone it wasn't much of a job. Loosened up the front mid-pipe clamps, unbolted the rear hangers and dropped the whole thing (Not much to see here as there's literally 100's of videos on YouTube on this).

Opened up and inventoried the Borla goods. Everything was quite nicely packaged and separated so pipes/mufflers aren't banging into each other. Got everything layed out on the driveway for a few pics..

IMG_7389.jpeg

IMG_7392.jpeg

IMG_7390.jpeg

IMG_7393.jpeg

IMG_7391.jpeg

Then I spent more time than I really care to admit on getting this thing fitted and aligned! I struggled getting the mufflers to sit evenly in the rear valance.. Even the instructions suggest a second set of hands but I'm a pretty experienced "wrench" and I was determined to get this thing aligned. Twisting, tugging, tightening and loosening..Over and Over.. I just couldn't get it evenly aligned. The passenger side tips just sat about 1/4" more inboard in the opening than the drivers side. No amount of adjustment that I could do would correct it.

It was a hot and humid day, I was getting frustrated, so I waited for the wife to come home for a 2nd set of hands. Thank god she enjoys garage time and working on the car! Anyway.. We adjusted, and were at it for about 2-3 more iterations and were a little closer, but still couldn't get it dialed.. Then I noticed this:

IMG_8733.jpeg

Little bit more than a "pin hole".. That's disappointing. I need to contact Borla and see how they'd like to handle this. (@Ian@Borla) Thankfully the car was going to stay on the stands for a few days while I source some grease for the BMR poly sway bar bushings. Oddly none accompanied the front bar.

Justin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2020 Grabber Lime GT Premium
I installed the Borla S Type Catback as well with my dad and yeah, getting it aligned is a B#@#^. You basically have to have one side tightened down and then have someone muscle the other one into place and hold it there and tighten it. I also got a bent piece on the actual muffler and one of the sides of my Xpipe was bent/flattened but not enough the muffler wouldn't slide over. Probably damaged in shipping. Luckily I could bend the one piece back to where it belonged but worried it lessened the integrity of the metal. They do sound great! Hopefully they take care of that issue for you, for as much as the thing costs..

KermiStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT N4G
Thanks Justin, (and Justin). Great job sharing your work. I just found it and will follow. I am pretty shocked with that Borla defect. ( and Justin’s additional mentioned defects as well) . After a lot of research I just ordered this CatBack with the CF tips. For what it costs delivered in AUS (your eyes would water) I sure hope the Borla QC staff have a better look before they ship it to their AUS distributors, American Speed. It’s pretty easy to see, so it’s now costing them money and reputation to miss something so obvious. I know mistakes happen but seeing/reading this and other YouTube video on a ATAK system that was really not up to scratch, I be keen to see Borla's response. I’ve no doubt they'll replace it but in my case the turnaround time would be crazy long and very inconvenient. I’m now a bit concerned with my decision....

I’ve got new larger sway bars and end links to go on, as well as new rotors. Also the Injen closed CAI, and OEM strut tower brace. (AUS Mustangs do not get the brace) the new P51's and Nittos are much lighter than OEM, and actually made the steering feel lighter. I was not expecting that. Anyway, the throttle response and lighter unsprung weight “seem” to let it spin up faster. I certainly have noticed the rear end looser and “hop”.

Did you do all the backend at once? I’m not thinking of going as far as you have, so curious if you saw changes if you did it incrementally. I was looking to start with just the IRS brace and hope that settles it down a bit.

Anyway, great write ups and track track observations. I’m definitely keen to do some advanced driver training for self education. I agree also that in NA it’s still a very powerful car and requires some respect. More personal education and training in controlled environments will not only be very enjoyable, but also hopefully develop / enhance skills and safety.

OP
OP
JustDSM

JustDSM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
Thanks Justin, (and Justin). Great job sharing your work. I just found it and will follow. I am pretty shocked with that Borla defect. ( and Justin’s additional mentioned defects as well) . After a lot of research I just ordered this CatBack with the CF tips. For what it costs delivered in AUS (your eyes would water) I sure hope the Borla QC staff have a better look before they ship it to their AUS distributors, American Speed. It’s pretty easy to see, so it’s now costing them money and reputation to miss something so obvious. I know mistakes happen but seeing/reading this and other YouTube video on a ATAK system that was really not up to scratch, I be keen to see Borla's response. I’ve no doubt they'll replace it but in my case the turnaround time would be crazy long and very inconvenient. I’m now a bit concerned with my decision....

I’ve got new larger sway bars and end links to go on, as well as new rotors. Also the Injen closed CAI, and OEM strut tower brace. (AUS Mustangs do not get the brace) the new P51's and Nittos are much lighter than OEM, and actually made the steering feel lighter. I was not expecting that. Anyway, the throttle response and lighter unsprung weight “seem” to let it spin up faster. I certainly have noticed the rear end looser and “hop”.

Did you do all the backend at once? I’m not thinking of going as far as you have, so curious if you saw changes if you did it incrementally. I was looking to start with just the IRS brace and hope that settles it down a bit.

Anyway, great write ups and track track observations. I’m definitely keen to do some advanced driver training for self education. I agree also that in NA it’s still a very powerful car and requires some respect. More personal education and training in controlled environments will not only be very enjoyable, but also hopefully develop / enhance skills and safety.
Thanks for dropping in! Did your exhaust make it across the pond (safely I hope!) yet? I surely hope the issues Justin and I had were isolated. The fitment wasn't horrible by any means, but after spending that kind of money I would at least expect the tips to align evenly in the rear valance. I look forward to hearing if you install is smooth sailing.

I never did hear back from Borla at all about the issues with my system. Thankfully their warranty is pretty iron-clad and the vendor I purchased the system from (Summit Racing) has a pretty stout return policy that honors returns on installed parts if warranty issues are present. They were pretty shocked by the manufacturing defect just as I was. I had always known Borla to be a top tier mfg. for exhaust products. But Summit Racing was great to deal with and it was nice they have a physical store not too far from me in Arlington so it made the return painless.

As much as I love the look of the Borla system, my ears have always longed for something else.. So I decided to take this opportunity to mix it up a little..

Corsa.JPG

Pretty excited! I ended up giving Corsa a call for a Sport cat-back. They were fantastic to deal with and gave a very generous veteran discount.

But back to the suspension.. I installed the FRPP shocks/struts toe link bearings, BMR springs, Steeda braces, alignment dowels, rear camber bolts and bushing supports in the first go around. It really transformed the car into one that was communicative and and predictable. It really did a lot to inspire confidence to push the car harder as the rear end was no longer vague and/or numb feeling. I could tell what was happening in the rear.

The only downside was that the ride was a bit on the bouncy side with the stiffer dampers and springs. This was mostly due to the stock shock mount design. My first upgrade after the initial round was the BMR shock mounts. These things should have been part of the initial install! They took that bouncy feeling out of the rear and it just tracks the contour of the road as it should now without upsetting the chassis. Highly recommended!

I then added the BK055 rear lower control arm bearings and after following the service manual for re-installation, after having a local shop press the bearings in for me, I found that my once very compliant and enjoyable ride was now 3x as bouncy as it ever was previously. It felt like I had some serious compression dampening and little to no rebound dampening. Very stiff, very bouncy and not very fun to drive..

I thankfully came across this thread: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/issue-with-bmr-lower-control-arm-bearing-kit-bk055.83519/ where @jmeiers had made mention he had similar issues with a bouncy ride after installing his bearings. His solution was to lower the torque value on the fastener. I thought why not.. And I my ride completely returned to what it was previously. Very happy that I don't have to find another solution, though it does seem that I might need to trim the misalignment spacers some to reduce the binding which may be causing some deformation in the bearing when torqued to specified values. Time will tell.. Will have to investigate that at a later date..

For now though, that's about all, aside from the cars first oil change.

PS: The AEM drop in seems to have improved part-throttle response a bit. Haven't done any logging to validate results. More to come on that too.

KermiStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT N4G
While on order the local retailer advises it would be a few weeks for them to make some, and then shipping is in a container with sea freight, unpack, reshaping to me etc, so it’s a fair way away from a time perspective. Glad to hear your local retailer looked after you but it’s still disappointing Borla never got back to you. I’m going to post pics in their exhaust section and see if they respond.
Wow a change is as good as a holiday. I hope you like the new system.
That suspension write up is awesome. Seriously thanks for your time. I'll do mine (Not as much) but bit by bit with a few trips on the same windy roads I normally travel in between, to try to gauge the difference.

Sponsored

Ian@Borla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Borla
My Borla S-Type cat-back showed up today!

Spent a few moments to get the car back up on the jack stands and yank the factory exhaust. Working alone it wasn't much of a job. Loosened up the front mid-pipe clamps, unbolted the rear hangers and dropped the whole thing (Not much to see here as there's literally 100's of videos on YouTube on this).

Opened up and inventoried the Borla goods. Everything was quite nicely packaged and separated so pipes/mufflers aren't banging into each other. Got everything layed out on the driveway for a few pics..

IMG_7389.jpeg

IMG_7392.jpeg

IMG_7390.jpeg

IMG_7393.jpeg

IMG_7391.jpeg

Then I spent more time than I really care to admit on getting this thing fitted and aligned! I struggled getting the mufflers to sit evenly in the rear valance.. Even the instructions suggest a second set of hands but I'm a pretty experienced "wrench" and I was determined to get this thing aligned. Twisting, tugging, tightening and loosening..Over and Over.. I just couldn't get it evenly aligned. The passenger side tips just sat about 1/4" more inboard in the opening than the drivers side. No amount of adjustment that I could do would correct it.

It was a hot and humid day, I was getting frustrated, so I waited for the wife to come home for a 2nd set of hands. Thank god she enjoys garage time and working on the car! Anyway.. We adjusted, and were at it for about 2-3 more iterations and were a little closer, but still couldn't get it dialed.. Then I noticed this:

IMG_8733.jpeg

Little bit more than a "pin hole".. That's disappointing. I need to contact Borla and see how they'd like to handle this. (@Ian@Borla) Thankfully the car was going to stay on the stands for a few days while I source some grease for the BMR poly sway bar bushings. Oddly none accompanied the front bar.
Hi, I'm very sorry to see that! Have you reached out to our Customer Service team? If you haven't, please reach out to Customer Service Manager regarding your system. His email address is [email protected]. Again, I'm sorry about the part defective part that you received. Thank you.

OP
OP
JustDSM

JustDSM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
Hi, I'm very sorry to see that! Have you reached out to our Customer Service team? If you haven't, please reach out to Customer Service Manager regarding your system. His email address is [email protected]. Again, I'm sorry about the part defective part that you received. Thank you.
Thanks Ian for stopping in. I did reach out to Chris on 7/7 but I have still yet to hear back.

I have returned the Borla system to Summit Racing where it was purchased and they opted to warranty the system out by accepting the return on the item.

Ian@Borla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Borla
Thanks Ian for stopping in. I did reach out to Chris on 7/7 but I have still yet to hear back.

I have returned the Borla system to Summit Racing where it was purchased and they opted to warranty the system out by accepting the return on the item.
I'm glad Summit Racing was able to help you out. I'm sorry you didn't receive a response, I'll be sure to bring it up to our Customer Service Manager. Again, I want to apologize for the experience you had with us.
Sponsored