Sponsored

2020 GT500 vs Corvette C8 Z51 which one is faster at willow springs? TIMES!

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT
Struggling for grip or not, that Base GT500 essentially equaled the ZL1 1LE which was running their Goodyear version of the Cup2. I keep asking to see how much better the Base car is with a Cup2 but we have yet to see any comparison there.

And they kept yammering about -3* camber for the Vette but they also mentioned the dealer adjusted the camber on the GT500 for the track. So how much camber was dialed in? They didn't say. They also said camber plates are standard on the Base GT500 with the Handling Package (1:17 mark) - the confusion escalates...
How would you adjust the camber on the 500? It doesn't come with adjustable mounts unless something changed.

That Throttle House track is a low speed track, the C8 held every advantage there. The 500 did exceptionally well.
Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
How would you adjust the camber on the 500? It doesn't come with adjustable mounts unless something changed.

That Throttle House track is a low speed track, the C8 held every advantage there. The 500 did exceptionally well.
The handling package includes camber plates.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
It's a point of contention amidst some murky details from Ford whether or not camber plates should come with Handling Package cars. This has been discussed in a few threads to date. I think this only adds to the confusion but listen carefully to what Throttle House says in this snippet from their video.

Not certain of the source of the plates but I suspect they'd say the "dealer took care of it." But where did the dealer get the plates? From a box in the trunk? Were they sitting in the Parts Department having not been given to the GT350 owner that was supposed to get them? Did they simply have the parts department order a set? Don't know.

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
It's a point of contention amidst some murky details from Ford whether or not camber plates should come with Handling Package cars. This has been discussed in a few threads to date. I think this only adds to the confusion but listen carefully to what Throttle House says in this snippet from their video.

Not certain of the source of the plates but I suspect they'd say the "dealer took care of it." But where did the dealer get the plates? From a box in the trunk? Were they sitting in the Parts Department having not been given to the GT350 owner that was supposed to get them? Did they simply have the parts department order a set? Don't know.
My money says there are no adjustable plates installed, because they do not come installed, do not come in the truck, and have not been shipping to the parts dept. I bet this is a street alignment car, no different than how yours, or mine came from the factory.

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Strangely enough and in a weird way, it's both. Owens would do well to clarify in a video or something as Ford corporate just isn't getting it done.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
No it does not or lets just say owners have not been receiving them.

No camber plates here....
Yeah, I saw that. I was under the impression from another GT500 owner’s video that the plates were sent out later. Doesn’t make a lot of sense to handle it that way.

Nolimits88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT500 2020 TO GT500 2021 GT500 CARBON PKG
Yeah, I saw that. I was under the impression from another GT500 owner’s video that the plates were sent out later. Doesn’t make a lot of sense to handle it that way.
Yes that is correct, we received ours after delivery from the dealer we bought from

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
Yes that is correct, we received ours after delivery from the dealer we bought from
Then you are the first, and only person this has happened to. I was one of the first to receive a 2020 GT500 (12/9/19), and I still have not received adjustable plates from Ford. Assuming you have a base car that is.

Can you show us the vin matching box of adjustable plates that you received? They may have just given you an unclaimed set of plates they had lying around from a GT350.

Sponsored

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
I think this shows that while the base GT500 may be faster the C8Z51 maybe a better overall track option for the majority of "average type" guys who may want to track their cars...More advanced drivers would probably option for the faster variants, CFTP or Z06 when they're more readily available.

Sometimes "faster" is not more enjoyable as the GT350 has shown for the last 4 years.
I agree wholeheartedly. Try playing Beethoven's 5th on the throttle of an automatic. I will abandon Ford as I have GM the moment Ford abandons the manual in the Mustang.

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
Well, if you want to deal with valve spring issues, a front cargo hatch cover that pops open on its own, e-brake issues, DCT issues, etc, then the C8 is the car for you. No thanks. I'll stick with my lowly GT350, M6
Sponsored