Sponsored

Can you tell the different between 87 and 93 octane?

Stranger706

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT w/Roush SC
I could tell a difference. Its not as picky as my Focus ST was but there's definitely a difference. Not so much in power but overall drivability. It runs much smoother on 93. It shifts better too. On 87 its constantly trying to add more timing and then pulling it back. This makes it kind of jerky and ruins the smoothness of the v8.
Sponsored

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
You know in the gas argument everyone is right and you all dont even see it. neither gas hurts or does any harm to the engine. both sides are correct with their respective examples. it just becomes a pissing match of opinion and who wants to be more right.

IM not really for one or the as both run my car just fine. All this talk of the engine dials back or somehow turns into a turd with 87 is so inaccurate. The engine running on 87 is its NORMAL operation its not dialing back anything, the truth is the car dials up for the premium gas. The manual even says if your car knocks on 87 to take it to be looked at as it shouldn't. Not sure where all yall get this doom and gloom from for 87. Yes the car can benefit from 93 but the car then ramps up from its normal operation to adjust for the higher specs that it can handle.

93 octane is not the cars designed for or normal operating gas. does it run better on 93 ..well that is debatable. half say no half say yes. I personally can feel a shit hill of beans difference in using the two different gases. If you do awesome. but people need to stop telling people inaccurate info and calling people who dont want to use 93 that they are idiots.

Actually if you look at the way ford words everything when it comes to performance gains. 1. the dont post any numbers ever , because well its not that much of a difference. And 2. Ford uses a lot of maybe, could, if, can, perhaps and if you meet certain (only gained in lab test) criteria.

The manual specifically says you "can" benefit from premium gas. Not you will or it does... but can... thats the same as maybe.

but the engines that are designed to run higher octane gain plenty from it and should use it.
Why is it the 93 advocates always completely gloss over and ignore this from the owners manual (pic below)? The car was designed for 87 not 93. It is just it CAN benefit from higher octane. Benefiting from and designed for are two totally different things.
Screenshot_10.jpg

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
If yall really want to fight over gas someone explain to me why people who proclaim 10% ethanol gas is crap for the engines because the ethanol is corrosive will then turn around and talk about how their new e85 set up is the best thing ever.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
My car has never been run on 87, always run 93+ lucas octane booster. I can tell the difference when i dont use the lucas octane booster. But i saw a big difference when I use vp racing c-10 fuel. It raises the octane to 98 my car rips on that stuff..

18usc371

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
GT350 - Track Package - G0628
Nature designed your body to run off water. Dose it get better performance form monster/ redbull/ coffee? sure it does but will drinking water mess you up and cause you to break down and feel like crap through the whole day ... NO!

DID I miss anything?

Screenshot_9.jpg
Brondo vs Faygo ?

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
We dont even have 87 here, we have 85. The manual says damage can be caused by octane that low. The altitude helps, but still. I'll pass on running anything less than the highest octane available.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
You know in the gas argument everyone is right and you all dont even see it. neither gas hurts or does any harm to the engine. both sides are correct with their respective examples. it just becomes a pissing match of opinion and who wants to be more right.

IM not really for one or the as both run my car just fine. All this talk of the engine dials back or somehow turns into a turd with 87 is so inaccurate. The engine running on 87 is its NORMAL operation its not dialing back anything, the truth is the car dials up for the premium gas. The manual even says if your car knocks on 87 to take it to be looked at as it shouldn't. Not sure where all yall get this doom and gloom from for 87. Yes the car can benefit from 93 but the car then ramps up from its normal operation to adjust for the higher specs that it can handle.

93 octane is not the cars designed for or normal operating gas. does it run better on 93 ..well that is debatable. half say no half say yes. I personally can feel a shit hill of beans difference in using the two different gases. If you do awesome. but people need to stop telling people inaccurate info and calling people who dont want to use 93 that they are idiots.

Actually if you look at the way ford words everything when it comes to performance gains. 1. the dont post any numbers ever , because well its not that much of a difference. And 2. Ford uses a lot of maybe, could, if, can, perhaps and if you meet certain (only gained in lab test) criteria.

The manual specifically says you "can" benefit from premium gas. Not you will or it does... but can... thats the same as maybe.

Why is it the 93 advocates always completely gloss over and ignore this from the owners manual (pic below)? The car was designed for 87 not 93. It is just it CAN benefit from higher octane. Benefiting from and designed for are two totally different things.
Screenshot_10.jpg
I love how you leave out the part where it says "For best overall vehicle and engine performance, premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended." I don't see any "if, can, maybe" in there. That's a pretty "matter-of-fact" statement. Oh and before we really dive into this, I hope you're using the 5w20 the owner's manual recommends and not 5w30 or elsewise. If you are, then throw out any counter argument you have using the owner's manual because it's just hypocritical.

You talk about numbers but all Ford shows is that the advertised figures are only achieved with a 91+ octane. If it were designed for 87 then wouldn't the advertised numbers be what power it makes on 87? If the engine makes less power, with 87, than advertised; then I dare say that's being "dialed back" my good sir.

I still don't even entirely understand what you're arguing. 93 gets better performance and a performance difference one can feel. Regardless of your fixation on the semantics over if it was "designed" for it or not, you even say as much yourself.

I will agree to the point that 87 won't do any immediate harm and is okay to use for regular use. I would, however, love to see the piston tops of two different engines flogged at a few track sessions. One using 87 and the other 93.

My gripe with 87 is that it's holding us back. Manufacturers are even silently trying to make 95 the standard so they can improve the performance and efficiency of all ICE.

If yall really want to fight over gas someone explain to me why people who proclaim 10% ethanol gas is crap for the engines because the ethanol is corrosive will then turn around and talk about how their new e85 set up is the best thing ever.
Who's talking about this? I don't recall reading a single post on this thread about ethanol being corrosive. It is, in fact, corrosive however. So engineers design a car to use parts that won't be corroded by the ethanol or at least not nearly as fast. It's like when leaded fuel was banned. Leaded fuel would coat the valves and protect them, extending valve life. Now, without that, manufacturers had to start using hardened valve seats to counteract the loss of the protection.

Sponsored

Stranger706

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT w/Roush SC
I wouldn't think you could even run 87 in a turbo motor. Sounds like a bad idea.
Yep it make no sense to us "car people"

But Ford had to make the EcoBoost motors run ok on 87 because that's all most people will ever use. Think of all those Fusions, Escapes, Edge, Explorers, F150s with turbo motors. The majority are small turbo nowadays. 95% of people are not car people and only use 87. Not realizing they're losing power and mpg in the process.

The coyote is actually very forgiving when running 87. Compared to a turbo motor.

I would support a national higher octane for everyone as long as they don't hose everyone on the price.