Sponsored

2016 GTPP - Cam Phaser fixed my ticking noise

randotheking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTPP
My 2016 GTPP has had a ticking noise for over a year, I went back and forth with Ford a few times trying to get them to diagnose the issue but no one would dig into it. Finally got a good service advisor that agreed there was a problem. First they replaced the exhaust manifold but the issue persisted. Then they replaced the cam phaser and that resolved it. My car is running better than ever and that annoying sound is no longer drowning out my exhaust at idle. My only concern now is if there is any long term damage caused by this...not sure.

I've heard these phasers are a big issue with 2018+ but I couldn't find much for my model year. Anyway, if you have a similar sound make sure you have them check this out.

Video of the noise around 23 seconds in:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/2913fk3Wfbr5L1nG6

Invoice:
camphaser invoice.jpg

camphaser invoice2.jpg
Sponsored

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
I had intake cam phasers replaced @ 5k miles on my 18 GT due to car stalling at stops. No change to occasional ticking.

OP
OP

randotheking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTPP
How many miles in your car and what engine oil have you been using for it?
Trick question

This is my 2nd motor, the first one blew cylinder #8 around 2,000 miles (no racing, causal daily driver). Ford replaced the small block, not sure about the phasers. I'm now at 31,000 miles tuned with Ford PP2 without any major issues aside from this and I drive aggressively.
I use Mobil1 5w-20 Full Synthetic and I have oil reports for every oil change since the new engine. My 2nd to last report came back high in iron and fuel. I went through 2 additional qts of oil during that oil change... My most recent report was clean and I didn't burn much oil at all.

oil report.png

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
I switched to 5w-30 at 9k miles. Car does not seem to burn any oil.

Sponsored

jrsimon27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 PP
Trick question

This is my 2nd motor, the first one blew cylinder #8 around 2,000 miles (no racing, causal daily driver). Ford replaced the small block, not sure about the phasers. I'm now at 31,000 miles tuned with Ford PP2 without any major issues aside from this and I drive aggressively.
I use Mobil1 5w-20 Full Synthetic and I have oil reports for every oil change since the new engine. My 2nd to last report came back high in iron and fuel. I went through 2 additional qts of oil during that oil change... My most recent report was clean and I didn't burn much oil at all.

oil report.png
Wow amazing your engine blew on a stock tune.
Damn.

OP
OP

randotheking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTPP
Wow amazing your engine blew on a stock tune.
Damn.
It sucks, I bought this GT after I totaled my 2013 Mustang. I had one 1 payment left

After buying this GT I had no reason to assume I wouldn't be keeping it for decades, maybe even beef it up with my kids as we grew old together. But between cylinder #8 and the impossible-to-keep-clean black paint, I guess I'll just have to buy one more Mustang... ;)

My mother inlaw has a 2011 Hyundai Sonata with 140,000 miles. I borrowed it for a 1500 mile road trip and the engine started knocking shortly after we hit the road. It lasted our entire trip all the way home. We took it in and they replaced the motor even though it is out of the 10 year/100,000 period. We didn't have to argue or anything - they couldn't even reproduce the knock but because I had it on video that was all they needed. Apparently these Sonatas had a recall that caused the knocking. I still can't believe it, I wish Ford had better warranties and service. It's sad that $40,000 doesn't get you anything worthwhile these days. Our parents had it easy

jrsimon27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 PP
It sucks, I bought this GT after I totaled my 2013 Mustang. I had one 1 payment left

After buying this GT I had no reason to assume I wouldn't be keeping it for decades, maybe even beef it up with my kids as we grew old together. But between cylinder #8 and the impossible-to-keep-clean black paint, I guess I'll just have to buy one more Mustang... ;)

My mother inlaw has a 2011 Hyundai Sonata with 140,000 miles. I borrowed it for a 1500 mile road trip and the engine started knocking shortly after we hit the road. It lasted our entire trip all the way home. We took it in and they replaced the motor even though it is out of the 10 year/100,000 period. We didn't have to argue or anything - they couldn't even reproduce the knock but because I had it on video that was all they needed. Apparently these Sonatas had a recall that caused the knocking. I still can't believe it, I wish Ford had better warranties and service. It's sad that $40,000 doesn't get you anything worthwhile these days. Our parents had it easy
And what exactly happened to cyl#8?
Yep ford should have better warranties.
Did you use 93oct when filling up?

OP
OP

randotheking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTPP
And what exactly happened to cyl#8?
Yep ford should have better warranties.
Did you use 93oct when filling up?
It blew through the wall lol, I couldn't get any additional details. I have the invoice somewhere, I'll dig up the parts list tomorrow

I always use 93, even before the PP2 tune

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
I want to switch but I have like 20 qts of Mobil1 5w-20 that I bought on sale ~_~
Mix it 50/50 with Full synthetic Motorcraft 5w-50
Sponsored