Sponsored

Ford Performance S550 Mustang Street Handling Pack (2015-2020)

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
WSKY RNR has only the Bullitt electronics pkg. I am not happy with the body roll in the curves on the back roads here in TX. Not quite sure how the OE suspension is dialed in. Steeda has the factory handling pack for not much more than springs and sways. Will buying this duplicate what is already on the car ?
https://www.steeda.com/ford-performance-m-fr3a-maa-s550-handling-pack
Sponsored

zack.whitford

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Do you have Magneride?

OP
OP
cactus_kid

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
No ........... Thankfully. That would complicate the issue.

mnm4ever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, MR2 Spyder, Sea Doo HX
Pretty sure the Bullitt standard suspension is just the same as the Performance Pack. And the kit you linked to is the street handling package which is also the same as the PP but with lowering springs.

To upgrade you would need to jump to the Track Handing package. It’s only $179 more, which is a really good price for a fully assembled kit.

I just ordered the Steeda Pro Active kit, fully assembled it was about $1600 on sale, and still didn’t include sway bars or toe links. But I did get camber plates and shock mounts which added about $470.

OP
OP
cactus_kid

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
Thank you Michael. That is why I asked. This forum is great.

Sponsored

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
mnm's post above is correct. To be a bit more definitive, the Bullitt comes stock with the PP1 suspension, with MagneRide optional.

Before going all-in on a full suspension replacement, you may be able to get where you want to be with just a set of lowering springs. There are multiple options for those, from Steeda, Ford Performance, and others.

mnm4ever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Thank you Michael. That is why I asked. This forum is great.
No problem, happy to help!

I am a little surprised at your complaint at body roll. That is not something I have noticed as an issue with my 2015 PP1. My main concern was rebound over rough pavement and expansion joints. On a smooth track its pretty good as is, but on a rough road it can get unsettled, and it takes bumps pretty harshly. I did a ton of research and talked to the guys at Steeda, and that's why I decided to give the Pro Active shocks a try. I am expecting them to not be as track focused as the Pro Action Adjustable, but a little better than my stock PP with added comfort. Before pulling the trigger on the Ford Racing parts, you might want to talk to them about their Steeda branded options, they seem to put a lot of research and testing into their own products that might be a little better setup than the Ford Racing kit.

For body roll, I believe that would be addressed by thicker sway bars, which the Ford Racing kit includes. I am going to try my setup without changing the bars, and see how it feels.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Looks like you should have waited for the Mach1. Ha ha. I tried my Bullitt at a pretty brisk pace, and it actually felt better than I expected. Minimal body roll, and minimal understeer, easily dialed out with the throttle, and the amazing Torsen. Thankfully, no handling complaints for my needs, since the ride is already borderline firm even in normal MR mode for traveling comfort. So PP2 would be a no-go for me. But hope you can mod the car to handle the way you want :). Keep us posted.

OP
OP
cactus_kid

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
Looks like you should have waited for the Mach1. Ha ha. I tried my Bullitt at a pretty brisk pace, and it actually felt better than I expected. Minimal body roll, and minimal understeer, easily dialed out with the throttle, and the amazing Torsen. Thankfully, no handling complaints for my needs, since the ride is already borderline firm even in normal MR mode for traveling comfort. So PP2 would be a no-go for me. But hope you can mod the car to handle the way you want :). Keep us posted.
Heh ......... Living where you do, taking the highway over the Guadalupe Mtns would be interesting. I am used to the Z06 I let go of several yrs ago. Almost no body roll when pushed hard into the corners.And yes, it was lowered. I can no longer do so because of my leg issues. I am simply happy to be able to drive a manual again. It took 5 leg surgeries and 6 mos of physical therapy to get to the point I'm at. In fact, I have to be extremely careful getting in and out so that I do not drag my calfs on the side extensions.

mnm4ever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Heh ......... Living where you do, taking the highway over the Guadalupe Mtns would be interesting. I am used to the Z06 I let go of several yrs ago. Almost no body roll when pushed hard into the corners.And yes, it was lowered. I can no longer do so because of my leg issues. I am simply happy to be able to drive a manual again. It took 5 leg surgeries and 6 mos of physical therapy to get to the point I'm at. In fact, I have to be extremely careful getting in and out so that I do not drag my calfs on the side extensions.
Yes I could see where a lowered Z06 would feel more planted than the Mustang, even with the PP suspension. But everything with suspension is a trade off. I don't think just lowering the car is going to make that big of a difference in body roll compared to a Z06. Stiffer springs and thicker bars will help, but it's still going to move more than the Vette, and can introduce other issues. Too bad you didn't get the MR, I bet you would have liked it better.

I can say that when I first got my GT, the handling felt very cumbersome to me, like it was hard to place the car where I wanted it. I was used to smaller, tighter cars... GTI, E36 M3, other imports. But the first time I got it on a track it was like a completely different car, it really came alive. I think it just feels better when driven hard, and having a little more compliance helped smooth things out for what is a relatively large car. That first track day I met a guy with a C5 Z06, and we followed each other around the track for a few sessions to take video for each other. That Z06 definitely had more finesse around the corners, but not so much that I couldn't easily catch him at every straight. Same thing happened in reverse, I would pull ahead at the straights, but he caught me by mid corner every time. We were both surprised at how evenly matched they were.

Sponsored
OP
OP
cactus_kid

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
Heh .......... It was an orphan. :shock: Dealer had only two allocations in '19. Prospective buyer backed out right after the car was produced. Being a custom order, at that point, Ron Sykora the owner was screwed. No way to add mag ride. The enhanced stereo with BLISS is the only option. Car sat for 18 mos before I bought it. Ron discounted 8k off MSRP. Who am I to say no? :wink: I had the F&I dude (Ron's little brother) do the sales docs right then and there. :sunglasses:

mnm4ever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Heh .......... It was an orphan. :shock: Dealer had only two allocations in '19. Prospective buyer backed out right after the car was produced. Being a custom order, at that point, Ron Sykora the owner was screwed. No way to add mag ride. The enhanced stereo with BLISS is the only option. Car sat for 18 mos before I bought it. Ron discounted 8k off MSRP. Who am I to say no? :wink: I had the F&I dude (Ron's little brother) do the sales docs right then and there. :sunglasses:
Sounds like a deal you couldn’t pass up!

OP
OP
cactus_kid

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
Yup ........... :rockon: That cash saved is paying for the blower, mid pipe delete and the tune. :inlove:

mnm4ever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Yup ........... :rockon: That cash saved is paying for the blower, mid pipe delete and the tune. :inlove:
And apparently some suspension mods too!

Totally off topic, but I have been wondering... the Bullitt exhaust sounds really good, do they all have active exhaust? Or is the standard exhaust non-active? And if it is non-active, is it different from a regular Performance Pack 1 Mustang?