Sponsored

Live traffic costs - Sync 3.3 (not 3.4 cars with modems)

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Now the new 2020 Mustangs have the inbuilt modem I am finding it difficult to glean any information from the Ford site regarding older non-modem mustangs with 3 - 3.3 sync.

A few questions for UK owners as its probably different elsewhere in the world.

1) Is live traffic via Ford Pass and connecting your phone thus using your own data for live traffic free? Or is it free for a period of time?

2) If i purchased an Android Phone, will live traffic update and pass data via the bluetooth connection rather than having to plug it in like you do iphones? I read somewhere it did via androids but doesnt on iPhones (which i know it doesnt as I have an iphone)

3)I also read that Sync 3 will obtain and use OTA traffic updates, I assume via RDS?

Short of it it, i find playing music via USB seems to offer louder volumes than playing via Carplay, i also hate iTunes for my own library and Google Play on Carplay is useless. I find plugging in my phone for short trips is a pain so purchased a CPlay2air wifi dongle which works 80% maybe 90% of the time but seems to batter my iphones battery. Playing music via USB when using the device seems to cause issues when you restart the car as the connection fails more often if I have turned the ignition off whilst doing so.

Just want to be able to jump in the stang and the nav gets traffic updates without plugging in all the while and play music via the USB.

Currently its looking like an android phone is the better option?
Sponsored

OP
OP
wenklaw

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
UPDATE: I have uploaded the cyanlab sync 3.4 release.

Well i was 'told' that sync 3.4 can use an iphones data connection over bluetooth for live traffic, and it seems to work. Fordpass within mobile apps now shows as running and 'live traffic' connected when my iphone is connected via bluetooth and not a cable, pretty sure it didnt before, can anyone confirm?

Downside is the Waze sync 3 mobile app no longer wants to play (even when connected via a cable) although i had heard waze sync 3 mobile app support was being pulled, not even sure if it still worked on sync 3.3 as i hadnt tried for ages. However i am not that bothered, live traffic is my priority without plugging in my phone.

Last edited:

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
Not sure your issues. I have a Pixel personal phone and work iPhone and both run Waze/Google Maps on my Sync 3. For music i use YouTube Music. Both iPhone and Pixel i plug in for Apple Carplay and Android Auto.

OP
OP
wenklaw

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Not sure your issues. I have a Pixel personal phone and work iPhone and both run Waze/Google Maps on my Sync 3. For music i use YouTube Music. Both iPhone and Pixel i plug in for Apple Carplay and Android Auto.
I think it’s because my last 2 cars in 8 years before the mustang both got live traffic from inbuilt modems plus the m2 had wireless CarPlay. I just dislike cables!!! A bit OCD maybe as well.
I also now get Radioplayer pop up on sync 3 mobile apps when connected via Bluetooth on my
iPhone, I will see if it actually works tomorrow, if it does that’s a fairly big change from sync 3.3 as fairly sure app link/ford pass app only worked on iPhones if physically plugged in via usb on sync 3.3? Anyone confirm that?

I’m talking about Waze via app link for iPhones on sync3 not via AA or CarPlay. Basically it appears when I connect in mobile apps but doesn’t actually work anymore. Not a deal breaker though.

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
Seems massively overcomplicated. Just plug your phone into the middle rest and then don't see cable or phone. Then enjoy Waze and music via iPhone or Android.
Ford live traffic is rubbish compared to Google Maps or Waze.

Sponsored

OP
OP
wenklaw

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Seems massively overcomplicated. Just plug your phone into the middle rest and then don't see cable or phone. Then enjoy Waze and music via iPhone or Android.
Ford live traffic is rubbish compared to Google Maps or Waze.
Do you use Wifi? Do you have a wireless remote control for you TV etc?? You clearly do, would you find it a little more inconvenient if you had to go back to corded devices, yes you would. Ive gone from wireless carplay and OTA traffic to having to plug in all the time, its not the end of the world I agree but
I find it inconvenient having to plug my phone in every time i get in the car, i constantly get in and its in my jeans pocket, gym bag in the boot so i have to rummage around pulling it out, open the boot to retrieve it then i plug it in put it in the armrest compartment only to get to my destination and leave my sodding mobile in the car.

If you don't care fair enough but you aren't really providing or helping by dismissing my post as overcomplicated, it isnt IMO and for some it may well be of interest that upgrading to unofficial 3.4 albeit a risk seems to enable data via bluetooth for sync 3 nav live traffic on iphones (although i do need to test it fully) but it states its enabled and you get the live traffic icon on the nav screen

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
3)I also read that Sync 3 will obtain and use OTA traffic updates, I assume via RDS?
My V3.3 works this way. Got warnings and diverted route when the M27 was shut last night coming back from France on the ferry. It had already factored in the diverted route before we left Portsmouth and also picked up all of the other roadworks on the way home. Works well for congestion as well and I've even had a weather warning for a thunderstorm in France and crosswind warning just before an exposed bridge. Not sure we get the weather related data in the UK ?

I really like the built in Nav - no need to rely on flaky data (around here), very accurate predictions for arrival times and distances and very simple to use. Can even link with What3Words if you want to.

OP
OP
wenklaw

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
My V3.3 works this way. Got warnings and diverted route when the M27 was shut last night coming back from France on the ferry. It had already factored in the diverted route before we left Portsmouth and also picked up all of the other roadworks on the way home. Works well for congestion as well and I've even had a weather warning for a thunderstorm in France and crosswind warning just before an exposed bridge. Not sure we get the weather related data in the UK ?

I really like the built in Nav - no need to rely on flaky data (around here), very accurate predictions for arrival times and distances and very simple to use. Can even link with What3Words if you want to.
Yes it seemed to in mine on 3.3 but was a bit random. Anyway i can confirm live traffic via bluetooth and iPhone does in fact work now on 3.4. I have also now got Waze working on Sync 3 via applink/fordpass but you do need to plug in via USB still for that to work.

Personally i find 3.4's new GUI nicer, particularly the Radio stations and how they are now organised and selected. Colour scheme and font are a bit more modern looking too. Is it much better than 3.3, nope, an improvement, yep. Sync 3 whatever version is still lacking though for me in comparison to others, its okay thats about it.
Sponsored