Just had an alignment done at a race shop

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Numbers are -1.6 camber front, .04 toe each side, total toe .08 Caster 7 both sides

Rear camber -1.6 left side and - 1.4 right side, shop said the slots were not slotted on my car.
toe .11 both sides total .23 thurst angle .00

Unfortunately, I never pushed the car before this alignment.

The shop said I might want more neg camber in the front to stop it from pushing on the track. Wants me to monitor tire wear.

Today I found an empty parking lot and pushed the car into a 4 wheel drift, it does lose the front before the rear, but it also had a bad vibration, like warped rotors under hard braking.

Just to clarify, the vibration is under power while sliding all tires, not under braking.

Is this normal for the S550?

If not what could be causing this.

I have FP and BMR bracing in the front and Steeda bracing in the rear.
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Vibration = wheel hop?

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, these S550 platform ponies need 1 mm slots cut from the towers in front to achieve .2- camber and really dosen't need much more to perform well on a track. So "notch" the front towers when you can. Maybe there is a thread on this job.

OP
OP
K4fxd

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
They don't know what they're doing
We discussed what was and wasn't adjustable before I let the car in the shop. I also had camber bolts with me just in case the car needed them. It did.

He seemed genuinely surprised he could not adjust the rear camber. Said and I quote, "for some reason the place for the slots were not slotted"

It is a well respected race shop. So I tend to believe him.

Sometime this year I will get the steeda adjustable rear upper control arms, then I will know if I was lied to.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, IDK, the rear slotted attachment is not obvious and isn't marked like a normal alignment adjustment point. A lot of shops don't know which bolt to loosen (and its buried up in there). Your car is very unlikely to be any different than any of the others. My money is on the shop didn't know which bolt to loosen, that's far more common.

Sponsored

OP
OP
K4fxd

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Vibration = wheel hop?
Not sure, it was a high frequency (fast) vibration that I never felt in a sliding car before. Almost like the ABS activating.

Could it have been the advance track trying to keep me from spinning?

I might have forgot to turn that crap off.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Have you ever experienced wheel hop? Its one of the few hard vibrations that happen under accel and some cornering loads.

OP
OP
K4fxd

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Yes I used to run Super Comp. Had a 1990 Dodge Neon.

This was not that.

I think it was the ABS, I'll try it again with it unplugged

o-man

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oscar
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
I know it is a royal PITA. I've helped tech hold the rear wheel while he loosened it and adjusted it. Last alignment I watched two techs struggle with it. It should be illustrated in the alignment program for the correct bolt and location. Good luck

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
Even with these S550 platform cars being 5 years in production, not enough "Savy" road warrior's understand the in's & out's of theses cars. Just a paycheck to them. It's hard to find great shop's who get these new cars. I have the bolt's but Firestone could not get me -2.0 on my pony.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Today I found an empty parking lot and pushed the car into a 4 wheel drift, it does lose the front before the rear, but it also had a bad vibration, like warped rotors under hard braking.

Just to clarify, the vibration is under power while sliding all tires, not under braking.
Can you tell which end this vibration was coming from?

How tight of a turn? How fast were you feeding in your steering? (I'm thinking that parking-lot autocross-like maneuvers tend to be tighter-radius with more rapidly applied steering than on the street or out on a road course).

Is your car lowered at all? Wheel and tire sizes?

Norm

OP
OP
K4fxd

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Parking lot, I was going about 40 cranked the wheel left and hit the throttle. Car went into a 4 wheel drift but did not spin.

OP
OP
K4fxd

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Would putting the front at -2 balance the car better? Will that cause more tire wear. I just got a text from the shop asking if I am happy with the service and if I want to make any changes.

Like I said, great reputation.

On the other hand will I be better off with less camber in the rear. Now that I know where the adjustment bolts are I can show them.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Wheel hop or advancetrac shutting you down. Get tires and CB005 cradle lockout, wheel hop gone. And remember to turn off advancetrac.
Sponsored