Looking To Purchase A Mustang Convertible, Some Questions

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
Definitely not in favor of buying one sight unseen. Good for you, OP that you're willing to go out 1,000 miles or so. That length trip can be done in one day if you can stand 14 hours behind the wheel. Although 1,000 miles on I-95 may take a bit longer. Drove Philadelphia to Bangor last summer - it seemed like it took forever and that's only about 600 or so.
Sponsored

OP
OP
NY Yankee Pride

NY Yankee Pride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Chrokee / Honda CRV / 1996 Thunderbird
You are not going to find bargains looking for a convertible in the early summer months. Try again in September. That $2000 bump sounds about right. I buy most of my cars "long distance" because they aren't available locally and they usually are convertibles. As you observed, that doesn't give you a lot of bargaining power.
I'm definitely not expecting to find a bargain, I was just surprised that it was $26,000 for several weeks then they all of sudden gave it an almost $2,000 price bump. I don't think that's typical in the used car market. But like I said, they didn't do anything wrong or unethical. I was just surprised. I'm not in any rush so we'll see what happens.

OP
OP
NY Yankee Pride

NY Yankee Pride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Definitely not in favor of buying one sight unseen. Good for you, OP that you're willing to go out 1,000 miles or so. That length trip can be done in one day if you can stand 14 hours behind the wheel. Although 1,000 miles on I-95 may take a bit longer. Drove Philadelphia to Bangor last summer - it seemed like it took forever and that's only about 600 or so.
Going out there to purchase it would likely mean giving up a whole weekend or more. In my younger days I could drive endlessly but now everything starts to hurt after a few hours in the car.

OP
OP
NY Yankee Pride

NY Yankee Pride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anyone ever had any experience with Carmax? They have a 2019 in Texas with 17K miles. It's priced at $27,000 which is actually about what other dealerships are charging for a 2019 Ecoboost premium. But the the Autocheck report that they include shows two owners which kind of concerns me. Why would a car that new have two owners already? Someone else earlier in this thread said how a lot of these are previous rentals but that doesn't seem to be the case with this one unless Autocheck is wrong. I have it on hold right now while I think about it so I'm not sure if anyone else will be able to view this link right now.
https://www.carmax.com/car/18642595

Sponsored

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Anyone ever had any experience with Carmax? They have a 2019 in Texas with 17K miles. It's priced at $27,000 which is actually about what other dealerships are charging for a 2019 Ecoboost premium. But the the Autocheck report that they include shows two owners which kind of concerns me. Why would a car that new have two owners already? Someone else earlier in this thread said how a lot of these are previous rentals but that doesn't seem to be the case with this one unless Autocheck is wrong. I have it on hold right now while I think about it so I'm not sure if anyone else will be able to view this link right now.
https://www.carmax.com/car/18642595
I have purchased a number of cars from CarMax. Their return policy is great and their extended warranty is very reasonable. Paying the transfer fee beats the hell out traveling a thousand miles to see a car you may not want or have no bargaining power to make a deal. My only issue with CarMax is the selection tends to be poor for the models I want. Two owners can be misleading. The dealer may have registered it, some do. Anyway, the car is gone, now.

OP
OP
NY Yankee Pride

NY Yankee Pride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
NY Yankee Pride

NY Yankee Pride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have purchased a number of cars from CarMax. Their return policy is great and their extended warranty is very reasonable. Paying the transfer fee beats the hell out traveling a thousand miles to see a car you may not want or have no bargaining power to make a deal. My only issue with CarMax is the selection tends to be poor for the models I want. Two owners can be misleading. The dealer may have registered it, some do. Anyway, the car is gone, now.
It's not gone. Carmax has a feature where you can put a car on hold for 7 days without even having to put down a deposit. So it's showing unavailable right now because I have it on hold to give me a few days to make a decision.

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
Look like the second owner only drove it 4K or so miles. Probably didn’t like a manual, my guess. Is it in Shreveport now?

Sponsored

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
It's not gone. Carmax has a feature where you can put a car on hold for 7 days without even having to put down a deposit. So it's showing unavailable right now because I have it on hold to give me a few days to make a decision.
Yeah, I forgot. I've used that service a few times, myself. Other than not having the digital dashboard, it looks like a nice car.

OP
OP
NY Yankee Pride

NY Yankee Pride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're ALL manuals. I already have that filtered in.
Actually they're not, look at the the pictures. There must be something with how the VIN's are reported for the 2018 and 2019's because many that say they are a manual are actually an automatic. That's especially true with the 2019's. I've been searching for a month now & when I narrow the search down to manual transmissions probably 50% of the results are actually automatics. And it's not just Cars.com because the same thing happens on Autotrader. So I first have to look at pictures of the interior to make sure it's actually a manual.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NY Yankee Pride

NY Yankee Pride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, I forgot. I've used that service a few times, myself. Other than not having the digital dashboard, it looks like a nice car.
Damn it! I didn't even know I wanted that until you just said it didn't have it :curse: :giggle:

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Damn it! I didn't even know I wanted that until you just said it didn't have it :curse: :giggle:
The dash and all the colored lighting options were fun for a few weeks, but after that I haven't touched it. It's just an occasional cruiser, so I don't use all of the fancy settings.
Sponsored