Shawn2018GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 401A Auto
I have an 18 Premium GT Convertible.
The rear view mirror wiring has 5 wires: brown/yellow, blue/black, green/orange, and 2 pale blue wires.
I want to hook up dashcam power to it, but I don't know which one is switched positive and which is negative, let alone what the other 3 could be for.
Anyone know what the schematics show for these 5 wires??

Thanks for any help.
Shawn
Denver CO
Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I powered my detector from the 2 leftmost (closest to the driver) wires on the connector, so I used a different negative. Or maybe my 2019 is different; who knows. At any rate, since the positive is the same I used, and the one which provides the power (obviously), your camera or detector is going to cut out when you select REVERSE, so you know. I don't think there's a way around that, since the only electrical function the mirror has is the auto-dimming one, and to clear up the mirror while in reverse, power to the mirror needs to be cut off. Hope this helps.

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
Why not just use a fuse tap from the interior panel. I have mine tapped into the window switch fuse and it works great then I just ran it up to the pillar and out across the windshield. That’s in the case you don’t want to tap an actual wire and if it works for you of course as you have a convertible.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
Why not use the drivers visor, it has power for the lighted mirror, and the garage door opener if you have one and it is not switched, it's hot all the time.

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Why not just use a fuse tap from the interior panel.
It can't get any easier than the mirror man; the connector is right there :D. And you don't splice anything; just insert the taps from behind, and that's it. Fully reversible in seconds. You don't use the detector in reverse, so it's a very minor 'issue', even with a camera. But yes, if you want uninterrupted power, you need to go to the fuse box. What I don't like about the fuse box is you need to pass the cable in front of the 'A' pillar airbag... but not sure if our Mustangs have it or not. If not, then no objection :).

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
It can't get any easier than the mirror man; the connector is right there :D. And you don't splice anything; just insert the taps from behind, and that's it. Fully reversible in seconds. You don't use the detector in reverse, so it's a very minor 'issue', even with a camera. But yes, if you want uninterrupted power, you need to go to the fuse box. What I don't like about the fuse box is you need to pass the cable in front of the 'A' pillar airbag... but not sure if our Mustangs have it or not. If not, then no objection :).
fair enough. I was more concerned because I thought people were splicing into those thin cables. As far as the A pillar airbag it’s there but doesn’t get in the way since there plenty of space to the side of it to get the wire up. I guess in my case it was necessary to do it since I have a dual camera setup with one in the rear and had to pass the wire up there anyways.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
I powered my detector from the 2 leftmost (closest to the driver) wires on the connector, so I used a different negative. Or maybe my 2019 is different; who knows. At any rate, since the positive is the same I used, and the one which provides the power (obviously), your camera or detector is going to cut out when you select REVERSE, so you know. I don't think there's a way around that, since the only electrical function the mirror has is the auto-dimming one, and to clear up the mirror while in reverse, power to the mirror needs to be cut off. Hope this helps.
I don't remember which wires exactly I used but I used the video I posted for direction. I did use a DVOM to verify polarity first. My detector does NOT turn off in reverse. 18 Premium convertible EB, not a gt, but I don't think that makes any difference.
And, yes, the mirror tap is the easiest I've ever wired anything around the mirror and I've been mounting stuff there since the mid 70s.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
My detector does NOT turn off in reverse.
Well, do you have an auto-dimming mirror? And if yes, do you have any other function on your mirror, like HomeLink, compass, etc? That might explain that, since an auto-dimming mirror has to turn off in reverse by law. And in my car, that's the only function the mirror has, so no power in reverse. I think I tried every wire (not that many), and only the one I used had power, but maybe I missed a combination if you have the same mirror than I do. Please let me know; I'm curious now. Ha ha.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Well, do you have an auto-dimming mirror? And if yes, do you have any other function on your mirror, like HomeLink, compass, etc? That might explain that, since an auto-dimming mirror has to turn off in reverse by law. And in my car, that's the only function the mirror has, so no power in reverse. I think I tried every wire (not that many), and only the one I used had power, but maybe I missed a combination if you have the same mirror than I do. Please let me know; I'm curious now. Ha ha.
Yes, I have an auto dimming mirror. No, there doesn't appear to be anything else special about the mirror.
It looks like I used the bottom set of three wires with the positive being on the outside (drivers side) and the negative being the wire farthest from the positive.
20200701_055204.jpg
Looking from the bottom up. The red wire is farthest to drivers side.

Sponsored

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I have my radar detector wired via mirror tap. Now you are going to make me go out and check if it actually turns off in reverse....I really don't think it does.....but I'll see.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
So....I had to go verify. Car in reverse; radar detector is still on.
Radar Detector.jpg

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
It looks like I used the bottom set of three wires with the positive being on the outside (drivers side) and the negative being the wire farthest from the positive.
So....I had to go verify. Car in reverse; radar detector is still on.
Hey, thanks guys. Looks like I chose the wrong negative wire then, since the positive is the same. Not going to mess with it now, since I'd need to undo my installation to be able to get to the plug, and then redo, and re-level everything. Plus I fatigued the leads already, and it might break with another attempt. But will write down this info for future use. Thank you again for confirming the correct wires to tap for others to avoid my 'problem' :D. At least I found the wire that cuts power to the mirror in reverse. He he.

OP
OP

Shawn2018GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 401A Auto
WOW! Thanks for all the great suggestions. I'm not familiar with a mirror tap, but will look it up.

nrm101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I have an 18 Premium GT Convertible.
The rear view mirror wiring has 5 wires: brown/yellow, blue/black, green/orange, and 2 pale blue wires.
I want to hook up dashcam power to it, but I don't know which one is switched positive and which is negative, let alone what the other 3 could be for.
Anyone know what the schematics show for these 5 wires??

Thanks for any help.
Shawn
Denver CO
Screen Shot 2020-07-01 at 3.32.17 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-01 at 3.32.38 PM.png
Sponsored