Limits of stock Gen2 Coyote?

Abletoxx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Hello! I recently purchased a Whipple Gen5 Stage 2 for my 2017 manual GT and was wondering what power levels are safe. This is my daily driver. I take care of my car, have only taken it to red-line maybe 3 or 4 times, I don't beat on the car at all.

I'm upgrading the OPG/CS and doing a BAP. What are safe power levels for this setup? Honestly, I only want to reach a 650 whp goal and was wondering if it's safe. I'll be using 93 fuel.

Thanks and stay safe!
Sponsored

Matt-23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang GT Race Red
Hi Abletoxx
I have a 2017 GT with a Gen 3, 2.9L Whipple, when it was at stage 2 without a BAP I was hitting just under 700rwhp on an axle dyno. This was on the Whipple Flare tool with the safeties off. I think you will hit higher then me with a Gen 5. This was driven hard at the drags, track and on the road with zero issues. I personally think you'll be fine.

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
Hello! I recently purchased a Whipple Gen5 Stage 2 for my 2017 manual GT and was wondering what power levels are safe. This is my daily driver. I take care of my car, have only taken it to red-line maybe 3 or 4 times, I don't beat on the car at all.

I'm upgrading the OPG/CS and doing a BAP. What are safe power levels for this setup? Honestly, I only want to reach a 650 whp goal and was wondering if it's safe. I'll be using 93 fuel.

Thanks and stay safe!
650whp with a manual trans is easily obtained with any forced induction kit available. Whats the point in having the power if you dont use it???

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350

Thanks and stay safe!
650 should be no problem with a safe tune. 93 is always riskier given the fact that you can't test it's quality, you're likely pumping a bit of 87 from the last person on each fill up etc.

But there are plenty of people running much more power than that on stock shortblocks with no issues.

As to what "safe" power levels question, you always see this and it's a bit like asking "how long is a piece of string?" Or "how many people can you safely fit into a 20 foot aluminum boat?" It depends.

If you're sitting right next to the dock and not going anywhere, you could probably put 20 people in a 20' boat before it swamps. Would you want to take it out in 2-3' chop.....probably not.

Tunes and output levels are dependent upon a lot of variables out on the street, so what might be safe for a dyno, under very controlled conditions might not have much tolerance for hiccups out under real world use.

Basically with the right tune, right fuel, proper operation, stock motors can take a huge amount of power/torque.

If you "lug" any motor (aka you're in a high gear, low rpm and you mash the go pedal) going uphill, on a hot day with some sketchy fuel, even moderate power levels can smoke a motor. This is why everyone loves E85. It's much more forgiving to preignition and knock, especially at higher temps, it's testable to verify it's of adequate quality, etc. Most tuners won't touch 93 above certain power levels anymore. And I haven't seen any that are willing to do a "flex" tune on blown applications (allowing you to run either 93, E85 or a mix of the two).

You can add a lot of security to your 93 tune by always running an octane booster with each tank, but that obviously adds cost to go with your additional safety.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
The gen 2 motor can take 850 wheel consistently with no issues...there are guys running 1000 whp but not for a long time..

Sponsored

OP
OP

Abletoxx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
650whp with a manual trans is easily obtained with any forced induction kit available. Whats the point in having the power if you dont use it???
Yeah, I think my 650 goal is very easily achievable. That's a question I ask myself a lot! Technically, I don't even need 400+ hp, but the times I do get to use it is awesome! I would love more power so when I do use it, its awesome! That's the question most of us get from non-car people lol

OP
OP

Abletoxx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Hi Abletoxx
I have a 2017 GT with a Gen 3, 2.9L Whipple, when it was at stage 2 without a BAP I was hitting just under 700rwhp on an axle dyno. This was on the Whipple Flare tool with the safeties off. I think you will hit higher then me with a Gen 5. This was driven hard at the drags, track and on the road with zero issues. I personally think you'll be fine.
Awesome! Thanks a lot for the reply! I'll probably keep it safe and run 650 maybe 700, but I'm not pushing it more than that. Unless I upgrade my half shafts, drive shaft, and fuel system lol

OP
OP

Abletoxx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
650 should be no problem with a safe tune. 93 is always riskier given the fact that you can't test it's quality, you're likely pumping a bit of 87 from the last person on each fill up etc.

But there are plenty of people running much more power than that on stock shortblocks with no issues.

As to what "safe" power levels question, you always see this and it's a bit like asking "how long is a piece of string?" Or "how many people can you safely fit into a 20 foot aluminum boat?" It depends.

If you're sitting right next to the dock and not going anywhere, you could probably put 20 people in a 20' boat before it swamps. Would you want to take it out in 2-3' chop.....probably not.

Tunes and output levels are dependent upon a lot of variables out on the street, so what might be safe for a dyno, under very controlled conditions might not have much tolerance for hiccups out under real world use.

Basically with the right tune, right fuel, proper operation, stock motors can take a huge amount of power/torque.

If you "lug" any motor (aka you're in a high gear, low rpm and you mash the go pedal) going uphill, on a hot day with some sketchy fuel, even moderate power levels can smoke a motor. This is why everyone loves E85. It's much more forgiving to preignition and knock, especially at higher temps, it's testable to verify it's of adequate quality, etc. Most tuners won't touch 93 above certain power levels anymore. And I haven't seen any that are willing to do a "flex" tune on blown applications (allowing you to run either 93, E85 or a mix of the two).

You can add a lot of security to your 93 tune by always running an octane booster with each tank, but that obviously adds cost to go with your additional safety.
Very informative! I really appreciate you taking the time to explain this! I currently use E85 for my N/A, I test it every time I fuel up. How would I test 93? Also, what's the deal with Octanebooster? I saw the Octanebooster store and I'm definitely willing to purchase them, however, I'm not entirely sure how they work. How much to add per tank, mostly.

OP
OP

Abletoxx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
The gen 2 motor can take 850 wheel consistently with no issues...there are guys running 1000 whp but not for a long time..
That's good to hear! I won't be running near 850, so I think I'll be fine with 650 - 700. Thanks for the reply!

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Im at 750whp on my Procharger D1x and my gen2 motor gobbles it up like a juicy steak ..

Sponsored

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Very informative! I really appreciate you taking the time to explain this! I currently use E85 for my N/A, I test it every time I fuel up. How would I test 93? Also, what's the deal with Octanebooster? I saw the Octanebooster store and I'm definitely willing to purchase them, however, I'm not entirely sure how they work. How much to add per tank, mostly.
There's no quick way to field test the quality of 93. E85 test kits merely approximate the ratio of alcohol to gasoline so it yields an indication of it's quality assuming the gasoline component is of acceptable quality.

As far as octane boosters, you'd have to ask others with more experience with them. Generally I think it's a can/canister per tank fill up, but I've never really used them. Others can chime in. But if you're using E-85 it shouldn't matter, there's no need for octane booster with E-85. Just ensure you're at the ratio your tuner recommends or higher.

BrianGT2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP, 2015 Mustang Eco Convertible
Can't really answer that question without knowing how the vehicle will be treated.

Take two identical 750 HP motors, built to identical power levels and specs.

give one too a kid who's 16 years old who is an idiot.
give one too a person with a lot of wheel time with high horsepower vehicles.

I know what motor is going to last longer.

AZ_whippleS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang GT
Some octane booster can go a long way to make pump gas safer especially in the event you get a bad tank of gas. I personally use a half a can of boostane professional at every fill up. Adds a bit of cost to each fill up but if it saves me from having to buy a motor it’s worth it.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Some octane booster can go a long way to make pump gas safer especially in the event you get a bad tank of gas. I personally use a half a can of boostane professional at every fill up. Adds a bit of cost to each fill up but if it saves me from having to buy a motor it’s worth it.
Yeah i use Lucas octane booster in every tankfull.

Stephen@lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Gt500
A solid safe number would be around 700-750whp. There have been dozens however that have sat around 850-900whp on the stock bottom end but I wouldn't honestly consider that completely issue free depending on how much you beat on it.
Sponsored