Sponsored

Shock mounts!

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Here's the deal,
After having one of my PP rear shocks from my Ford Street Handling Pack lose itself in spectacular petroleum based fashion on my garage floor, I decided to replace all with Bilstein all around.
So, I find since I have a premium GT, I have the "softer" shock mounts and there is a PP shock mount meant for the cars with monotube PP shocks and GT350. It has a "B" at the end of the ford part # vs. "A" that denotes the standard part #.
Haven't seen this discussed before so I thought I would bring it up.
As a side note, I have Steeda mounts but I am hesitant since I found this alternate "B" series part. The steeda mount has no polyurethane dampening whatsoever.
I wonder why I see so many for sale after purchasing. Could it be due to nvh?

Is it a big deal to drill out the new oem mount to fit the 10mm bilsteins?

Will the steeda mounts accent (cause) harshness? ( I think i see the answer to this one looking at it.)
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Its minor but yes the solid aftermarket mounts do seem to help the ride, maybe with slightly more noise transmitted.

i don’t like how difficult it is to get a wrench on the top strut nuts with the steeda design, that’s my main complaint with it. Its impossible to torque correctly without a specialty socket, which seems like a poor design choice.

i actually have a steeda mount on the drivers side and a factory mount on the passenger side right now (trying to diagnose what I now think is a failed Koni shock after 60k miles.). I have other Steeda parts but I’m going to swap the shock mounts out for another brand

OP
OP
IPOGT

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The OEM mounts fit on the Bilsteins without modification.

Bearing shock mounts do not increase harshness. They actually do the opposite. That rubber in the mount prevents the damper from reacting quickly and doing its job. They reduce bounce and oscillation.
Thank you. I think in the end, it's all about compromise. I want keep the car quiet and if that means going with the PP shock mounts as an upgrade to my base/premium shock mounts it's a fine compromise.
Thanks for letting me know they'll fit without trouble.
If I would have known there was a part # difference between the base and PP/GT350 shock mounts I would have done them to begin with.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
trying to diagnose what I now think is a failed Koni shock after 60k miles
good god man. Shocks need to be trashed after 3 seasons or 36k miles. They are every bit as consumable as tires. Hell they are cheaper than the corresponding tire.

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT Premium 6MT
The adjustable pro-action shocks from Steeda require you to drill out the center hole of your stock shock mount to 12mm if you want to re-use them. I did that, and they installed on the shock just fine, but I've heard that with some abuse these mounts could break - especially with a lowering spring. So I picked up a set of the billet mounts from Steeda to pull the stock ones out. I like the idea that there's a spherical bearing in the middle vs just a plate with a hole in it to adjust for geometry changing with the progressive springs.

Sponsored

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Here's the deal,
After having one of my PP rear shocks from my Ford Street Handling Pack lose itself in spectacular petroleum based fashion on my garage floor, I decided to replace all with Bilstein all around.
No surprise, one of my PP shocks failed dramatically at 8k miles. Great choice with the Bilsteins.

Interesting that you brought up an “A” and “B” part number for the OEM shock mounts. I bought the “A” units oblivious to the fact that the “Bs” existed, though during install of my Bilsteins I swore that my OEM mounts were a slightly different design than the ones I ordered.

I felt that the “A” mounts were actually stiffer and had less give than my PP’s. Unfortunately, I have no objective data to back this claim.

OP
OP
IPOGT

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No surprise, one of my PP shocks failed dramatically at 8k miles. Great choice with the Bilsteins.

Interesting that you brought up an “A” and “B” part number for the OEM shock mounts. I bought the “A” units oblivious to the fact that the “Bs” existed, though during install of my Bilsteins I swore that my OEM mounts were a slightly different design than the ones I ordered.

I felt that the “A” mounts were actually stiffer and had less give than my PP’s. Unfortunately, I have no objective data to back this claim.
This site is great. Thank you for the first hand info. Since you have done this, did you need any special parts? I believe it should be a direct replacement. Always liked Bilstein and I am confident it will be an improvement on a nice pack that Ford put together.
My friend had a vette with Bilstein and that car was on rails with surprisingly very good daily driver ride quality.

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Steeda mounts with B6's
Had the mounts with the stock shocks as well.
No noticeable increase in NVH.
I found it easiest to put the mount on the shock off the car. Easier install.

49050397922_7c6d770b46_z.jpg
20191111_112401 by chefjpd, on Flickr

OP
OP
IPOGT

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any of the solid mount offerings will add NVH.
Thank you for your answer. I understand this industry is driven by upgrades and the fact that you answered so candidly about it says a lot about your business. Thank you for that.

Sponsored

Logan@Lethal

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lethalperformance.com
First Name
Logan
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 3.0L Whipple
Thank you for your answer. I understand this industry is driven by upgrades and the fact that you answered so candidly about it says a lot about your business. Thank you for that.
Not a problem.

I have tried all of them (minus Vorshlag.. that ones has peaked my interest, but being a spherical bushing... I am sure it is the same) and the least addition of NVH was the BMR route.

If it tells you anything, I am now running stock mounts with my vi-king's.

Logan@Lethal

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
First Name
Logan
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 3.0L Whipple
I am super sensitive to all forms of NVH and I did not find any of them to produce more noise, harshness or transmit more vibration that was perceivable unless they were not torqued properly. I've had stock, Steeda, BMR and Vorshlag mounts.
They were torqued and used blue loctite when needed.

They were installed correctly. It's well known that the Vi-king/solid upper will produce NVH.

Logan@Lethal

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
First Name
Logan
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 3.0L Whipple
That's more a Viking thing than a shock mount thing. Things you choose to live with for performance :handsinair:. On Steeda, Ford Performance shocks they do not, based on more than 10k miles with each of them :)
I'm not complaining in the slightest, just transparent with customers.

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
This site is great. Thank you for the first hand info. Since you have done this, did you need any special parts? I believe it should be a direct replacement.
Yes, the Bilsteins are a direct replacement when using OEM mounts. And very much yes, you’ll enjoy them.

OP
OP
IPOGT

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Follow up guys,
Had the Bilstein shocks and struts installed, replacing the Performance Pack units in the Ford street handling pack.
I liked the setup as it was, for the record.
Post Bilstein, the car feels more composed. Oddly, it feels better supported. It's odd, but while driving, I perceive a height difference from previous, and it did raise the car visually by about an 8th to a quarter inch.
It looks perfect. On the highway, it feels like the stability is enhanced.
Turn in on the off ramp is sharper. Normal sub-city driving the car feels ever slightly stiffer, also odd that road imperfections are less pronounced, dramatic and more comfortably composed.
Note: none of this are night and day differences.
This is all about subtle differences and the PP kit is really good, but this is the next level... feels more refined, defined and comfortable at the same time while still improving the handling.
I may add they work great with the Ford X springs.
Sponsored

Last edited: