Selling car after driving it home?

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Looked at a BMW 550i today. I hope I have enough self-control to not buy it. I need to be reducing the number of cars I have.
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Looked at a BMW 550i today. I hope I have enough self-control to not buy it. I need to be reducing the number of cars I have.
yeah, same here. Except Merc SL500 sport package with hard top. Fantastic condition, high miles, and dirt cheap.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I see where you are coming from. I was cross shopping a Golf R or R32 before my mustang purchase. I never drove the Golf R but still to this day I wonder.
The Golf R is amazing, one of the best cars you can own in this day and age. The build quality, the tech, the performance, it's all top notch. And tuned with bolt ons they're running mid 11's in the 1/4. My only issue with it is that everything is so good that the car ends up feeling boring. You get used to it so fast. It's perfect for a daily if you have something more savage to balance it out.

I've not heard of that before. That's so dumb and arbitrary. So, I could get nailed for having a blower, but my brother in law who has a CTS-V and ported the blower/built the motor/upgraded the fuel system/is running 1300 cc injectors,/and took the car from mid 500's crank to 900 wheel, would be fine because that car comes with a blower?
You're supposed to inform your insurance company of mods you put on your car. It's just that in the US, most people don't. In pretty much every other country not doing so is grounds to get you dropped from your policy. It's not super likely you'll get nailed for it if you have a bad crash, but it's certainly possible. I think in the case of a CTSV that's highly modded like that, the adjuster might notice the drag radials or something else and get suspicious just the same as if they see a blower under your hood when most Mustangs don't have one.

526 HRSE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
Vehicle Showcase

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Do you have any other instances involving driving where you felt your self-control was perhaps a bit lacking?
Yes, but never to such an extreme extent. I drive my wife's Kuga in a more spirited fashion than my Mondeo, and I'm tempted to overtake a bit more often with it than with the Mondeo. Her Kuga isn't faster than the Mondeo, quite the opposite is true, but somehow the combination of engine sound, gearbox, throttle response, and perhaps other factors as well, puts me in a more 'energetic' mood.
This can happen the other way as well. The van I rented for last summer's holiday transformed me into the calmest and most serene driver on Earth. Whereas with the Mondeo I use to do 90-100 mph on highways and to flash and honk at the morons who pull out in front of me at 65, with the van I never exceeded 70-75 and spent most of the time in the first lane with the lorries and didn't mind at all.
This is not necessarily about lacking self-control. I have enough self-control to be a safe driver and not to do anything stupidly dangerous. I haven't had a crash in 24 years of driving daily in a country that has the most dangerous roads and the worst drivers in Europe. So I'm not afraid that the Mustang will make me do something stupid. It won't. But I may need to exercise my self-control to a much higher degree than in other cars, which may not be too pleasant after a hard day's work and may be exhausting in the long run.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Yes, but never to such an extreme extent. I drive my wife's Kuga in a more spirited fashion than my Mondeo, and I'm tempted to overtake a bit more often with it than with the Mondeo. Her Kuga isn't faster than the Mondeo, quite the opposite is true, but somehow the combination of engine sound, gearbox, throttle response, and perhaps other factors as well, puts me in a more 'energetic' mood.
This can happen the other way as well. The van I rented for last summer's holiday transformed me into the calmest and most serene driver on Earth. Whereas with the Mondeo I use to do 90-100 mph on highways and to flash and honk at the morons who pull out in front of me at 65, with the van I never exceeded 70-75 and spent most of the time in the first lane with the lorries and didn't mind at all.
It's not necessarily about a lack of self-control. I have enough self-control to be a safe driver and not to do anything stupidly dangerous. I haven't had a crash in 24 years of driving daily in a country that has the most dangerous roads and the worst drivers in Europe. So I'm not afraid that the Mustang will make me do something stupid. It won't. But I may need to exercise my self-control to a much higher degree than in other cars, which may not be too pleasant after a hard day's work and may be exhausting in the long run.
Speaking from personal experience, I find myself losing the self control battle more and more often these days. It used to be a rarity that I would hit triple digit speeds. Now it seems like every day, at least once. The highway at 1am when I'm commuting home doesn't exactly temper me given there's not a damn person around most of the time.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Sounds like you're letting the car drive you instead of it being the other way around. Some of them whisper "drive me harder" while others say "take it easy". And you listen . . .

I don't think my own driving temperament varies anywhere near as much as that, no matter what I'm driving or jumping into from one drive to the next. Not since I was a teen, and I'm not even sure that it did back then (it's been a while).

Norm

beetle6986

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 04 Cobra, 2008 BMW 335
What year are you looking at? Be careful with the N63 motors. They have a few issues.

The Golf R is amazing, one of the best cars you can own in this day and age. The build quality, the tech, the performance, it's all top notch. And tuned with bolt ons they're running mid 11's in the 1/4.
A 12.0 is an optimistic time for a tune only Golf R. They typically take a stage 3 upgraded turbo, etc to break into the 11s.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Sounds like you're letting the car drive you instead of it being the other way around. Some of them whisper "drive me harder" while others say "take it easy". And you listen . . .
Yes, that's a good description.
And I love that. It's an important part of what makes driving so exciting to me. Becoming one with the car, getting a subliminal feeling of its subtle personality traits, then embracing them and trying to make the best of them, driving it not just like I want to, but also like I imagine it might itself want to be driven... It's something akin to the bond that forms between a rider and his horse. I find this very exciting.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Iā€™m really confused, Iā€™m seeing this more and more, so I must be missing something. I keep seeing these threads like ā€˜GT350/350R/500 for sale, bought last week, drove it home 50/60/70 miles, asking 5-6-7K less than what I paid.ā€™ Are people just impulse spending 60-70-80 grand or what is going on? I am humbly asking to be educated.
Could be they're getting screaming deals on them, and turning around and selling them for profit.

I don't know about 5-6-7K off though.

Sponsored

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Can I suggest you take a few spins out in non stressful situations other than to and from work on time, say a few evening spins out around the city with no particular agenda, if you are getting tired or stressed stop for a coffee and then head home, take a day trip out to the beach or hills where you just potter about with no agenda. Not sure where in the country you are but maybe a few scenic spins out later at night when traffic is less dense, hit up a few twisties with no real attempt to make progress or have a mini track day, just enjoy getting to know the car.

Go on your own, no worries about passenger being bored, or getting bounced about from missed gears or whatever and stick some tunes on, not 120bpm techno, something relaxing.

It's a fun car to drive, rewarding and you may just need time to connect and get all the various muscle memory bits dialed in. That takes time and miles. :)
I'm not sure you understand what I mean. I love my car I start enjoying it more and more in fact I track the car a lot but on the street it's really hard to drive it and enjoy it sometimes I do sometimes driving it is a chore in it's own.

But I do love it.

Reactions: jwt

jwt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt

Norm
The day I drove the car home from dealership, about an hour in, I patted the car and said "oh boy, you are going to get me in real trouble" :)

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
What year are you looking at? Be careful with the N63 motors. They have a few issues.
It just had $12k of engine work done, including the updated valve guides, under the Customer Care Package. I talked to the BMW service rep I usually see for my 335i and he says they haven't had any problems with the N63 engine after the fix was done and they did quite a few. It's in beautiful shape, low miles and performs great.

But, I certainly don't need this car. It isn't a quantum leap better than my 335i, that I really like. It goes to show how most of us guys are easily tempted when it comes to cars.

beetle6986

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 04 Cobra, 2008 BMW 335
It just had $12k of engine work done, including the updated valve guides, under the Customer Care Package. I talked to the BMW service rep I usually see for my 335i and he says they haven't had any problems with the N63 engine after the fix was done and they did quite a few. It's in beautiful shape, low miles and performs great
They had to put a new engine in mine under the class action lawsuit.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Yes, that's a good description.
And I love that. It's an important part of what makes driving so exciting to me. Becoming one with the car, getting a subliminal feeling of its subtle personality traits, then embracing them and trying to make the best of them, driving it not just like I want to, but also like I imagine it might itself want to be driven... It's something akin to the bond that forms between a rider and his horse. I find this very exciting.
I'm trying, and I think I understand what you're saying. But from specific actual observations it turns out that I drive to about the same intensity no matter which of my cars I'm actually in.

Norm
Sponsored