Sponsored

Easy mod to reduce interior heat from the trans tunnel

brandonsmash

SMASH!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - PP
I don't know that there's an appropriate subforum for this. Mods, feel free to move.

Some of you folks know how hot the center console/shifter tunnel can get. I'm not sure if this affects the automatic trans crew or if it's unique to the MT-82 or PP crowd. Either way, the center console on my GT/PP would get seriously warm (to the point I worried that something was overheating).

Obviously this is great if you want your coffee to stay hot, but not so good if you want to keep your cockpit cool or you simply don't like the fact that you feel like part of your car is powered by Sauron.

The solution to this was pretty simple. When I did my Steeda Tri-Ax shifter install I had the center console out, so I decided to risk a few bucks and some time and shield it. The center console is quite easy to remove: Pull off the kickplates at front (they just pop out with clips and a magnet) and remove the two 7mm-head bolts. Use a spudger or something similar and open up the center compartment and use a spudger to pry out the clips from back to front; there are two on each side. Lift up from back to front and you'll find a connector just under the rear cupholder. Disconnect this. Unscrew the shift knob, and if you have the Tri-Ax shifter you'll need to loosen the three set screws on the reverse collar; otherwise I believe you'll have to drive out the reverse roll pin (I had good luck using a C-clamp on a punch and socket as a die).

Once the console was out I set about with this stuff:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201467456074?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I cut it into strips and layered the underside of the console. I also removed the cupholders (which was held in by a few Torx-head screws) and lined the cupholders as best as possible. After reinstalling the console and driving I noticed some areas I missed, so I did it again. I've found that key areas to hit are around the shifter, around the cupholders, and by the parking brake lever.

When I was done, the underside of the console looked like this:

kbiw5XC.jpg

I had some (but not much) reflective material left over.

The difference is dramatic. There's at least a 70% reduction in heat intrusion into the cabin.

This is well worth the time and $17 if you get tired of ambient and exhaust heat making your cabin warmer and the center console of your Mustang being obnoxiously hot.
Sponsored

Stangman21

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erwin
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost 2016 Premium
I've never had this problem on my Ecoboost. Then again its an auto.
It looks cool though! Pretty ingenious brandonsmash!

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
My GT auto has this issue. I think it might be a GT thing.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I've noticed the heat but less of it with my aftermarket exhaust, which is mid-muffler. I would have expected more heat but that's not the case (by feel). It is kind of weird, the heat you feel. Makes you think that MT-82 is about to blow (not that it isn't, already).

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
I haven't had this issue in my auto EB PP. Not denying it, just wondering how it would reduce the heat? Once heat is transferred into the cabin, it is already there. I would think the solution would be a reflective shield under the car, applied above the transmission right? It does look cool, great job on the install and if it increases the comfort, that's great!

Sponsored

OP
OP

brandonsmash

SMASH!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - PP
This reflects the heat back to the trans tunnel. Since you can't have a net loss or gain of energy, this means the trans hump sheet metal will absorb more heat, and likely some of that is radiated outwards underneath the car.

I'm not exactly worried the trans tunnel metal deforming with a few more degrees of heat.

Below the console is simply open air between the console and trans tunnel. This is a fantastic heat conductor, and the console itself isn't insulated. Lining the underside of the console with heat-reflective tape is much the same as adding insulation against additional heat.

Even if this did nothing but convert the spot heat of the console to radiant heat, it's overall more comfortable because my arm doesn't get hot when I rest it on the console!

86merc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I have used the DEI Products version of this for years. It works very well for cheap and easy to work with material.

Sponsored

Bonafide

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT PP
I'm going to try this. Can you repost the picture from the first post? For some reason I can't see it. Thanks.

krazieboy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JT
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red EB, Manual, PP, Navi, 201a etc.
please repost pictures. thank you.

poncho@home

GettingOld
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Is it possible to put something from under the car? Like the insulating sleeve material the active exhaust valve wires have. That way no need to take the inside apart. I'm done doing that. Ha ha. All the trim pieces I have removed incurred some damage. The cheap and flimsy plastic gets permanently deformed. It's a little, but enough not to fit like factory again. That happened with the roof console and dash trim to install the GT350 gauges, where the top of the little piece to the right of the glovebox didn't fit flush again. I was able to modify both to fit like factory again, but I wasted more time on that than the entire project. Ha ha. So unless absolutely necessary, not removing any more crap. I haven't felt any undue heat inside my Bullitt, and it's been 100+ lately, so probably not that bad. I remember other cars which felt like if a torch was there. Would like to insulate it more, so if somebody knows where to buy a material like that, and that it'd remain stuck, I'd do it for sure.
Sponsored