Sponsored

BREAKING: 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Confirmed as the Most Track Capable 5.0L V8 Mustang Ever!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
525 hp and a DCT with proper cooling, suspension, and tires might get me out of my Shelby.
I am totally there. I loved my Bullitt, put that Whipple on it and then I foolishly bought a 2018 with the A10 355 gears. That did it. I love that transmission and the power to the ground. Now, imagine 15% more power and the DCT. Yep. I would buy one of those.
Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I'm doubting Ford will put the same power as the GT350 on the Mach1, but if it's gets discontinued (not an official word on that, right?), it's possible. But putting the same transmission of the just revealed GT500, THAT I'd almost bet my house it won't happen. So it'll be offered with a manual, the 10R80, or maybe both. And if it was offered with that tranny, Ford would tack on a pretty penny for it, but maybe it'd sell. It'll be interesting to see what happens with that car. Curious about the rest of the package. Sounds like a PP2+ to me.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
They state it won't be revealed until the end of the year, whereas the original post says Spring. I assume it will be somewhere in the middle, Fall?
This is just carbuzz not reading the press announcement. Last week Ford said Mach 1 will be revealed in Spring , in no way they will push that back to end of the year - Most like with the complete coverage of the MY2021 model.

To me 525 hp with the Coyote engine sounds way too much to be true imho. That's a 45hp bump over the Bullitt.

GrabberBlue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2011 GT
This is just carbuzz not reading the press announcement. Last week Ford said Mach 1 will be revealed in Spring , in no way they will push that back to end of the year - Most like with the complete coverage of the MY2021 model.

To me 525 hp with the Coyote engine sounds way too much to be true imho. That's a 45hp bump over the Bullitt.
I'm skeptical but do you think it's possible with head work, new cams, and reworking a 3 year old intake? I definitely feel like it's too good to be true, but who knows

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I agree........500hp is much more like it, so I'll be amazed if 525hp is the final figure. Sadly, I think Motor Authority has gotten our hopes up only for them to be somewhat dashed.

Mind you......the 2003 GT had 260hp and the 2003 Mach 1 had 305hp (mind you, one was a 16v SOHC V8 and the other was a 32v DOHC V8)

Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible

I agree........500hp is much more like it, so I'll be amazed if 525hp is the final figure. Sadly, I think Motor Authority has gotten our hopes up only for them to be somewhat dashed.

Mind you......the 2003 GT had 260hp and the 2003 Mach 1 had 305hp (mind you, one was a 16v SOHC V8 and the other was a 32v DOHC V8)
At the risk of sounding like a broken record (and being embarrassingly wrong) a 45hp bump is easy to do with electric motors. I'll go back to my room now. :bandit:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
At the risk of sounding like a broken record (and being embarrassingly wrong) a 45hp bump is easy to do with electric motors. I'll go back to my room now. :bandit:
true, but the Mach-E is still a fiction of the imagination (ok, fine, there are engineering samples running around). With zero track record in electrics I find it really hard to believe Ford would take that leap. Hell, I can't see them bothering with something as simple and well established as cams to get a nominal bump. Unless the Mach1 is a 2022 car getting early announcement to buy them time to get electric-assist figured out.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
true, but the Mach-E is still a fiction of the imagination (ok, fine, there are engineering samples running around). With zero track record in electrics I find it really hard to believe Ford would take that leap. Hell, I can't see them bothering with something as simple and well established as cams to get a nominal bump. Unless the Mach1 is a 2022 car getting early announcement to buy them time to get electric-assist figured out.
This links to a Jalopnik article in 2017 when Ford first stated that there would be a Mustang hybrid. https://jalopnik.com/at-5-500-would-you-expect-to-get-the-royal-treatment-1843943337

This is one line from that article.... "In the press release that accompanied the hybrid Mustang announcement yesterday, Ford said that it will “deliver V8 power.” Obviously they've already been working on it. FWIW - the electric motor in the Ford Explorer Hybrid is 53.6 hp. 480 + 53.6 = 533.6. ICE hp & e-motor hp do not add 1:1, but it would not be out of the question for a 5.0L 10AT with the same e-motor used in the Explorer Hybrid with 10AT to net 525.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Yeah, it seems a touch early to go with a hybrid and to introduce it in a Mach I. However, there's also some interesting things going on in Europe, losing the EcoBoost and the MPG concerns over the GT ... so maybe this IS the time? Detuned hybrid GT with 400-ish HP with 30MPG for the foreign market and a tuned up 5.0 + hybrid geared towards performance, 500-ish HP for the domestic market?

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, it seems a touch early to go with a hybrid and to introduce it in a Mach I. However, there's also some interesting things going on in Europe, losing the EcoBoost and the MPG concerns over the GT ... so maybe this IS the time? Detuned hybrid GT with 400-ish HP with 30MPG for the foreign market and a tuned up 5.0 + hybrid geared towards performance, 500-ish HP for the domestic market?
Mach I = hybrid electric --> Mach E = full electric? It could happen.

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
And thus the Mach 1 ties neatly into the Mach E in marketing land....

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
Ugh. Another 4000lb track special then.

If it’s a track 5.0, it should be NA.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Yeah, that's what I was sort of ruminating on above, the timing vs. this being the obvious trajectory for Ford (and there being patents, tech, etc., in place, and they've already gone full EV).

So I guess the obvious question: Is this 525HP, hybrid 5.0 Mach I going to be available in a convertible? :giggle:

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Yeah, that's what I was sort of ruminating on above, the timing vs. this being the obvious trajectory for Ford (and there being patents, tech, etc., in place, and they've already gone full EV).

So I guess the obvious question: Is this 525HP, hybrid 5.0 Mach I going to be available in a convertible? :giggle:

No convertibles allowed......Mach 1 has always been a Sportroof/hardtop/coupe :)

Spring ends in less than 12 days........but I bet if they "fully" reveal it on the 19th, they still won't give us power/torque figures. That'll come nearer production, which I suspect will be late this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.