my 2017 GT350 with vibrations, it's the drive shaft

Hiland

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
I have posted about the issue before. I have had a vibration at speeds of 80mls/hr + since the day I bought the car new. i have 8500ml on the car and finally had the dealer confirm it's the drive shaft.
It will be replaced under warranty but according to the dealer there are no drive shafts available at this time due to all the vendor supply shutdowns following the pandemic.
They say its ok to drive but I rather wait until the drive shaft comes in.
Has any body else experienced this problem?
BTW car is bone stock and never tracked.
Also, any suggestions as to when this part will be available again?
Thank you.
Sponsored

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
This may not be what you want to hear, but I know exactly what I'd do in this scenario...this is the perfect opportunity to say f$%& it and install a QA1. I plan on doing it anyways, but sure as hell would go this route if I had that issue.

How did they determine it's the driveshaft anyways...did they say?

MNShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Vehicle Showcase
This may not be what you want to hear, but I know exactly what I'd do in this scenario...this is the perfect opportunity to say f$%& it and install a QA1. I plan on doing it anyways, but sure as hell would go this route if I had that issue.

Galaxy, I've also been told that replacing the driveshaft and halfshafts in my 2019 GT350 is recommended since I went procharged. Any recommendations on QA1 product versus, say, The Driveshaft Shop products? I don't drag or race, so not sure of the benefits to be honest.

Thanks.

OP
OP

Hiland

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
I took it out at 100

They drove it and put vibration analyzing equipment I suppose. They had previously put it on a machine as well and took it up to 120mls/hr. Ahead of the testing I had taking the service manager out for a 100ml/hr drive. I suspected the drive shaft or a bearing.
What is a QA1 and why is that your preference over OEM? And if I were to go that route, what would that cost me keeping in mind that the car will be repaired under warranty with OEM parts and 3rd party parts, the QA1 in this case, will have to come out of my own pocket.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Galaxy, I've also been told that replacing the driveshaft and halfshafts in my 2019 GT350 is recommended since I went procharged. Any recommendations on QA1 product versus, say, The Driveshaft Shop products? I don't drag or race, so not sure of the benefits to be honest.

Thanks.
I will caveat this comment with do your own research....but, I have heard great things about DSS, except for the 550 platform. Seems some guys get some vibration with them on a 550 car. I don't think I've seen anyone run them on our cars yet, so take that with a grain of salt. Plus, I prefer the appearance of the QA1 and how they lay their weave, LOL.

I took it out at 100

They drove it and put vibration analyzing equipment I suppose. They had previously put it on a machine as well and took it up to 120mls/hr. Ahead of the testing I had taking the service manager out for a 100ml/hr drive. I suspected the drive shaft or a bearing.
What is a QA1 and why is that your preference over OEM? And if I were to go that route, what would that cost me keeping in mind that the car will be repaired under warranty with OEM parts and 3rd party parts, the QA1 in this case, will have to come out of my own pocket.
Erick, QA1 is the manufacturer of a once piece, all carbon fiber driveshaft for our cars (and many others). It is a top shelf, quality piece of kit. Extremely light, but even more so, significant weight reduction off of rotating mass. And did I mention it's gorgeous? The weight and the one piece is why it would be preferred over the stock, heavy, two piece shaft. They run about $1,400, give or take. I understand your warranty situation, and everyone has their own tolerances, so you must make your own decisions. Like I said, I wouldn't care about free warranty. In fact, I couldn't care less. Nice quality driveshaft, avoid the dealer working on my car, etc, etc. Benefits far outweigh the cost, IMO.

Sponsored

john@fatfab

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby Omni
I have posted about the issue before. I have had a vibration at speeds of 80mls/hr + since the day I bought the car new. i have 8500ml on the car and finally had the dealer confirm it's the drive shaft.
It will be replaced under warranty but according to the dealer there are no drive shafts available at this time due to all the vendor supply shutdowns following the pandemic.
They say its ok to drive but I rather wait until the drive shaft comes in.
Has any body else experienced this problem?
BTW car is bone stock and never tracked.
Also, any suggestions as to when this part will be available again?
Thank you.
We have stock shafts for days if you need one, call the shop.

Sponsored

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
I have drive shaft vibration when I downshift to 2nd, even doing rev matching it's hard to bring that much RPM up with one blimp. Guess I need to apply brakes more before shifting to 2nd.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I have drive shaft vibration when I downshift to 2nd, even doing rev matching it's hard to bring that much RPM up with one blimp. Guess I need to apply brakes more before shifting to 2nd.
Stock throttle map is pretty lazy. Just push the pedal harder and earlier and you'll be good. When I rebuilt my motor I had Shaun at AED tune that out and it made a HUGE difference. Heel/toe is awesome and much easier now.

A pedalmax will help the standard map and is plug and play. I've driven a car with it and it's fairly close to doing it a with tune.

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
Stock throttle map is pretty lazy. Just push the pedal harder and earlier and you'll be good. When I rebuilt my motor I had Shaun at AED tune that out and it made a HUGE difference. Heel/toe is awesome and much easier now.

A pedalmax will help the standard map and is plug and play. I've driven a car with it and it's fairly close to doing it a with tune.
Thanks for the video! It's obvious that I let go off the brakes right after I downshift instead of holding the brakes. But it's hard to do in normal driving conditions. I haven't been on the track yet. Going to NC for my Track Attack in 3 weeks.

Vincz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F80 M3
I had a vibration in my car from 2400-2900 RPM in 4th gear - it was incredibly annoying when cruising at say 45mph. It turned out to be the driveshaft as the vibration was completely resolved when I had it replaced under warranty; I had a thread on here about it a while ago. Ford almost replaced my transmission, they would've been pissed when the vibration didn't go away with that...

For the record I also have a 2017
Sponsored