Sponsored

Anyone running a 4.09 rear gear ratio ?

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
Reviving this thread as it looks like there's more to be said on this topic.

I am finally getting close to the end of my break-in period on my 2020 GT 6spd and I'm starting to realize that the transmission feels great to shift (yeah, I am enjoying the feel of the MT-82. I said it! :D ) and the deeper I get into the power band of the engine, the more I love it...but as stated earlier, it looks like the new ratios steal a chunk of the fun of driving a manual performance car.

It's even worse for those of us with the 3.55 axle...and I'm starting to see this mod, at least for those of us with non-PP cars, to be a requirement for the car to fulfill its promise as a sporty/muscle car.

Here are the questions that I need to answer before I take the plunge:

1.) How much worse will the fuel economy be? Is anyone smart enough to do a back of the napkin calculation on the increased RPM and energy losses to friction? If it's significant enough, it could be a factor...especially as fuel prices will certainly go up over the period of time that many of us will own these cars as daily drivers.

2.) How would the ratio impact the longevity of the motor? Would you shorten our oil change interval? Does it notably increase the amount of heat that the cooling system has to deal with? Does this mean that non-PP owners need to budget for the PP radiator?

3.) Would Ford void your warranty for this?

4.) Most importantly, Is it worth it?? What is the new ratio like to drive? Does it measurably improve performance?

maddog1982

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (S550)
Watched this yesterday, I really wish they hadn't made this change

cib24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mazda RX-7 Type RS
1.) How much worse will the fuel economy be? Is anyone smart enough to do a back of the napkin calculation on the increased RPM and energy losses to friction? If it's significant enough, it could be a factor...especially as fuel prices will certainly go up over the period of time that many of us will own these cars as daily drivers.
Negilgible. The gear ratios are still so wide you won't notice any difference at all when driving, and RPMs are only 285 RPMs higher at 70 mph compared to running the stock 3.55 ratio. See below the cruising RPMs and max speeds at 7400 RPM in each gear.

upload_2019-7-4_10-15-56-png-png-png.png

2.) How would the ratio impact the longevity of the motor? Would you shorten our oil change interval? Does it notably increase the amount of heat that the cooling system has to deal with? Does this mean that non-PP owners need to budget for the PP radiator?
Negligible if not at all. Your oil life gauge will tell you when to change the oil if you like to use that. No extra heat, it's all fine.

No.

4.) Most importantly, Is it worth it?? What is the new ratio like to drive? Does it measurably improve performance?
Obviously. Without it your 2018+ GT is slower than a 15-17 GT with less horsepower up to about 80 mph due to their better gearing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Alfa Male

Alfa Male

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alfa Giulia
Watched this yesterday, I really wish they hadn't made this change

Interesting video and makes a lot of sense. Obviously this is based on the manual GTs having a 3.73 ratio whereas we are stuck with the 3.55 which is even worse.

Sort of reconfirms my thoughts on the need to play with the gear ratios.

Sponsored

smoke_wagon_6g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT
It's even worse for those of us with the 3.55 axle...and I'm starting to see this mod, at least for those of us with non-PP cars, to be a requirement for the car to fulfill its promise as a sporty/muscle car.

Here are the questions that I need to answer before I take the plunge:

The 6 speed D4 ratios plus 3.55 is a garbage combination, really. I'm convinced more gear is the key to having fun at legal speeds with these cars. And you don't need to immediately start to mess around underhood where so many start running into drivability issues. Though you can always still bolt on a supercharger if you want.

1. Fuel Economy. Never saw a change.

2. Durability. The engine has the same redline and powerband. You may even rev it LESS since torque will be much higher at the tire. Why would engine durability be affected?

3. Void your warranty? A Ford (or any) dealer will void whenever they can. Just keep quiet when you go in for something unrelated to gears. It's not like you'll throw a code for gears.

4. Absolutely. You can now run out 2 gears to redline and just touch 70mph. You can spin tires whenever you want insted of just during a burnout. Coming from a 3.55 I calculated that peak torque to the tires is the same as if I picked up 55 lb ft at the crank. "Downside" is that you'll be shifting more. So what?

Also with a 6 speed you need no gear adjustment in the computer. I did it anyway because I already had a ProCal from the FP tune., but I noticed no difference.

maddog1982

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (S550)
This is what's holding me off getting a facelift. I wish they had not messed with the ratios.

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
yeah kinda makes you chose the A10 for the facelift versions and then paddle shift when out of the traffic.

V8 WUU

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Has anyone actually done this in the UK?

Was the difference immediately noticeable?

The Steeda chap mentioned they can supply for 4.09 gears (for around £600 probably a bit more now)
But what sort of fitting costs would be involved?

I think the gears are the biggest downfall of my 21 GT, so would be interested in this, but if its a big operation costing thousands.... (i have no idea what is involved, but assume its a box out and apart?)

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Drop the diff, rebuild (gears and rebuild kit at minimum) and on a 21 you will need a tune.

I have a set with a Torsen diff, but I think they will only go in at the end of the warranty.

1643453623934.jpeg

WD :like:

Sponsored

mike3105

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 (pre-FL) manual GT
Drop the diff, rebuild (gears and rebuild kit at minimum) and on a 21 you will need a tune.

I have a set with a Torsen diff, but I think they will only go in at the end of the warranty.

1643453623934.jpeg

I can see your chief mechanic starting the inspection! 😼

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
The Steeda chap mentioned they can supply for 4.09 gears (for around £600 probably a bit more now)
For £600 I'd be expecting Steeda to be installing them too. You can get the 4.09 gears supplied, taxed and delivered for about £315.

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
So did anyone install the 4.09 gears and did they go for the Trac lok or Torsen ?

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Not yet - I'm waiting on warranty expiry due to having to mess with the tune on a 19+

I have the Torsen :Like:

Sponsored