Sponsored

GT350 Recaros in a 2016 GT Mustang Air Bag Light

5.0Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT Base
Hi I recently swapped out my 2016 Premium mustang seats for a set of GT350 Recaro Seats. For some strange reason the air bag light is on. But it plugs in normally. Could someone lead me into the right direction in solving this issue. Thanks
Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Are they 2015-17 Recaros? If they are from a 18+ car, different airbags so it'll cause the light. Beyond that, I got nothing that can help.

Fangi0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oscar
Vehicle(s)
GT Base PP2
Hi I recently swapped out my 2016 Premium mustang seats for a set of GT350 Recaro Seats. For some strange reason the air bag light is on. But it plugs in normally. Could someone lead me into the right direction in solving this issue. Thanks
I am curious about this as I was thinking about doing the same seat swap. Subscribed. BTW, if you don't mind me asking, where did you get the GT350 Recaros (I see you are also in Atlanta)?

OP
OP
5.0Dave

5.0Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT Base
I am curious about this as I was thinking about doing the same seat swap. Subscribed. BTW, if you don't mind me asking, where did you get the GT350 Recaros (I see you are also in Atlanta)?
I got them from a friend that was trading his car in. He got them out of a wrecked GT350

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Regardless if the seats are the standard, heated/cooled or Recaros - this thread may help with the air bag light:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/seat-replacement-airbag-issue.74306/

——
As far as the harnesses are concerned:

Even though the harnesses did connect without issues, the pin outs are different between Recaros and the standard bucket seats.

Another thing to mention too - the harnesses for the seat airbags are different from 2015-17 to 2018-current (and most likely different from GT350 to GT/EB body harnesses).

Even though your harnesses connected, the airbags are most likely disabled (usually when the light is illuminated). You’re going to have to source a wiring diagram and probably move the pin outs around (or do your own splicing). It would be necessary in order to get the proper connection via wire contacts based on wiring colors from a Recaro equipped S550 to a standard equipped S550.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There is this thread from another site that is interesting because there seems to be a sensor near the seat track on Recaros (again based only on the tech in THIS thread):
https://www.fordgt500.com/threads/airbag-light-on-after-recaro-power-base-swap.25241/

And here’s another Recaro thread from an M6G member @Blkbear17 who did the swap and includes more tech info:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/18-19-recaro-in-15-17.112219/

This thread contains good tech and is from another site; the discussion is how to put in aftermarket seats and deal with the seat harnesses and airbag light issues:
https://trackmustangsonline.com/thr...sor-when-installing-sparco-front-seats.13245/

More related tech on how to put the S550 Recaros into earlier Mustangs - but this one contains good tech about the seat harnesses that could help the S550 community - so clicky and scroll down to the images discussing the harnesses:
https://themustangsource.com/forums...ats-my-2013-gt-comfort-package-535447/index2/

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did someone say they wanted the Ford Performance docs discussing the installation of Recaros and airbag light?

shazam:

Attachments

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
This may help. I specifically address the airbag light issue.

taylor.crandall1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
This may help. I specifically address the airbag light issue.

Great video! Thanks for making it and thanks for all the info.

Two questions,

Is all that is needed for both driver and passenger is a 2.2 ohm resistor? Anything else needed?

Also, where did you put the passenger side bladder? In the actual Sparco seat underneath the cushion?

Sponsored

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
Great video! Thanks for making it and thanks for all the info.

Two questions,

Is all that is needed for both driver and passenger is a 2.2 ohm resistor? Anything else needed?

Also, where did you put the passenger side bladder? In the actual Sparco seat underneath the cushion?
Hey thank you, I appreciate the feedback!

You'll need to solder the resistor into the 2 wires mentioned but thats about it. I really cleaned up the wire harness because I'm OCD.

I placed the passenger bladder underneath the passenger side base. I also made an acrylic cover to really clean up that side because again, OCD lol.

20200516_145117.jpg

Eventually I'll probably get another seat but nowadays a lot of the events that I signed up for and the SCCA group that I work in doesn't allow passengers.
With that being said, you could probably put it in between the fabric and rigid seat but there is a plastic receiver with a tube that reads the pressure and
that might get uncomfortable for your passenger even if you do shift it to the side/thigh area.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I'm happy to help!

taylor.crandall1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Vehicle(s)
Mustang

You'll need to solder the resistor into the 2 wires mentioned but thats about it. I really cleaned up the wire harness because I'm OCD.

I placed the passenger bladder underneath the passenger side base. I also made an acrylic cover to really clean up that side because again, OCD lol.

20200516_145117.jpg

Eventually I'll probably get another seat but nowadays a lot of the events that I signed up for and the SCCA group that I work in doesn't allow passengers.
With that being said, you could probably put it in between the fabric and rigid seat but there is a plastic receiver with a tube that reads the pressure and
that might get uncomfortable for your passenger even if you do shift it to the side/thigh area.

Thank you so much for the response!

I appreciate your OCD. I like everything to be and look as close to OEM as possible. I have had aftermarket seats in several cars and have always found a way to defeat the airbag light and I am glad I now have way for the new Mustang. I can't stand dash lights.

Thanks again!

Peedystablo82

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang GT pp Paxton e85

20200516_145117.jpg

Hey bro, so I tried this technique and my airbag light was still on when I did it. I used a 2.2 Moon resistor and did it the same way you did it. The only thing I did not do was I temporarily just wrap each wire around each end of the resistor. Just to give it a good good connection. Does it have to be soldered for it to work? I mean I do electrical work, and I know the wires were very good and connected to each end of the resistor.

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
Hey bro, so I tried this technique and my airbag light was still on when I did it. I used a 2.2 Moon resistor and did it the same way you did it. The only thing I did not do was I temporarily just wrap each wire around each end of the resistor. Just to give it a good good connection. Does it have to be soldered for it to work? I mean I do electrical work, and I know the wires were very good and connected to each end of the resistor.
Soldering should isn't a prerequisite but I soldered mine for a good connection. Did you test the wiring harness after connecting it and before wrapping it all up with E-Tape?

-T

Peedystablo82

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang GT pp Paxton e85
I did not stick my meter tester on it to measure the ohms, but I did try to start car and air bag light was still on.
Sponsored