Sponsored

Not only was the GT 350 crushed by the C8....

lateinthegame

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I have never owned a vette and probably never will, but I think the C8 is the best looking vette I have thought about buying. I like the C7 too, but vettes break too much. The quality is just not there for me. I'll stick with my non-cooler Tech Pack I bought used. But the mid-engine is a step up for American cars.
Sponsored

M.A.N.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ranger 2018 F-150 2014 GT500
Each to his own, but I wouldn't give 25000 for the C8 if I had to keep and drive it. It's amazing that they would make something so UGLY!

The GT350 is worth 50000 more than the C8 in just looks. Let's be real that's half the reason we own these cars anyway, the other half is
the smile it puts on your face when driving it, and the GT350 ranks a 10 in that category.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I’ll never buy a GM product because they are a scumbag company. First the bailout. Then the video below. And finally the way the president had to force them to make ventilators. My money spends anywhere. Except in a GM showroom!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lvl5Gan69Wo&feature=share

Last edited:

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
I’ll never buy a GM product because they are a scumbag company. First the bailout. Then the video below. And finally the way the president had to force them to make ventilators. My money spends anywhere. Except in a GM showroom!
Just a couple thoughts on this. Mr. Trump did not force GM to make ventilators. GM had already publicly stated that they were working with Ventec to make ventilators before Mr. Trump felt the need to get involved. He simply “ordered” them to do what they had already said they were going to do.

A supplier to this effort whom I cannot name for obvious reasons told me that the confusion came from another supplier that was trying to negotiate price with GM but GM wouldn’t budge. GM is not taking any profits from the manufacture of ventilators, but apparently the supplier trying to negotiate price thought they could. The highly regarded publication Industry Week had this to say about the ventilator issue

On March 18, General Motors Co. Chief Executive Officer Mary Barra told President Donald Trump’s economic adviser Larry Kudlow that the automaker might be able to help make much-needed ventilators, the scarce breathing machines used to keep coronavirus patients alive.

The deal would help the company, which has had tense relations with Trump. It would help the administration, which faced charges that the pandemic caught it napping. Most importantly, it would help the sickest patients, those facing death without machines to breathe for them.

But not 10 days later, Trump accused GM of foot-dragging and price-gouging in its effort to replenish the supply of medical equipment. “Always a mess with Mary B,” Trump tweeted, hours before invoking the Defense Production Act, which allowed him to order GM to move.

Newly revealed details show that GM has been continuously engaged in the effort -- order or no order -- and company officials say the sprint from first phone call to production will take about a month. A parallel effort by Ford Motor Co. isn’t expected to bear fruit until June, though the company has said it’s speeding up its work. Trump did an about-face Sunday, saying GM is doing a “fantastic job.”

Regarding the China Motors stuff in the video, the US is the 3rd largest vehicle market in the world. Number 2 is all of Europe combined. Number 1 by a long shot is China. To do business in China, car companies HAVE TO operate through joint ventures with established Chinese companies. It’s no surprise that GM does. Ford does, too. And VW, Mercedes, BMW, Tesla, Jeep, and any other car manufacturer you can name that sells vehicles in China. And all of them have technology centers in China and are required to share battery and electric motor technology with their Chinese JV partners. You either JV or you walk away from the world’s largest car market.

Almost all the product GM produces in China is sold in China. Product produced for the rest of the world is made mostly in the US, Canada, and Mexico, with a few small vehicles produced in Brazil for all of South America. The only vehicle GM produces in China that is sold in the US is the Buick Envision. All 30,000 or so of them. Out of about 4 million GM vehicles sold in the US.

No Chinese made engines or transmissions are shipped to North America for installation in any GM vehicles. This is all very similar to BMW’s and Mercedes’ approach to the US. They are both still clearly German companies, but every BMW X5, X6, or X7 sold anywhere in the world (except China) are produced in South Carolina. Every GLC or GLE sports utility for Mercedes is produced in Alabama. Guess the Germans ought to start circulating videos about how those companies are caving in to US politics.

Last edited:

Sponsored

M.A.N.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ranger 2018 F-150 2014 GT500

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Just a couple thoughts on this. Mr. Trump did not force GM to make ventilators. GM had already publicly stated that they were working with Ventec to make ventilators before Mr. Trump felt the need to get involved. He simply “ordered” them to do what they had already said they were going to do.

A supplier to this effort whom I cannot name for obvious reasons told me that the confusion came from another supplier that was trying to negotiate price with GM but GM wouldn’t budge. GM is not taking any profits from the manufacture of ventilators, but apparently the supplier trying to negotiate price thought they could. The highly regarded publication Industry Week had this to say about the ventilator issue

On March 18, General Motors Co. Chief Executive Officer Mary Barra told President Donald Trump’s economic adviser Larry Kudlow that the automaker might be able to help make much-needed ventilators, the scarce breathing machines used to keep coronavirus patients alive.

The deal would help the company, which has had tense relations with Trump. It would help the administration, which faced charges that the pandemic caught it napping. Most importantly, it would help the sickest patients, those facing death without machines to breathe for them.

But not 10 days later, Trump accused GM of foot-dragging and price-gouging in its effort to replenish the supply of medical equipment. “Always a mess with Mary B,” Trump tweeted, hours before invoking the Defense Production Act, which allowed him to order GM to move.

Newly revealed details show that GM has been continuously engaged in the effort -- order or no order -- and company officials say the sprint from first phone call to production will take about a month. A parallel effort by Ford Motor Co. isn’t expected to bear fruit until June, though the company has said it’s speeding up its work. Trump did an about-face Sunday, saying GM is doing a “fantastic job.”

Regarding the China Motors stuff in the video, the US is the 3rd largest vehicle market in the world. Number 2 is all of Europe combined. Number 1 by a long shot is China. To do business in China, car companies HAVE TO operate through joint ventures with established Chinese companies. It’s no surprise that GM does. Ford does, too. And VW, Mercedes, BMW, Tesla, Jeep, and any other car manufacturer you can name that sells vehicles in China. And all of them have technology centers in China and are required to share battery and electric motor technology with their Chinese JV partners. You either JV or you walk away from the world’s largest car market.

Almost all the product GM produces in China is sold in China. Product produced for the rest of the world is made mostly in the US, Canada, and Mexico, with a few small vehicles produced in Brazil for all of South America. The only vehicle GM produces in China that is sold in the US is the Buick Envision. All 30,000 or so of them. Out of about 4 million GM vehicles sold in the US.

No Chinese made engines or transmissions are shipped to North America for installation in any GM vehicles. This is all very similar to BMW’s and Mercedes’ approach to the US. They are both still clearly German companies, but every BMW X5, X6, or X7 sold anywhere in the world (except China) are produced in South Carolina. Every GLC or GLE sports utility for Mercedes is produced in Alabama. Guess the Germans ought to start circulating videos about how those companies are caving in to US politics.
Brother I get it. You worked for them. And you seam like a very loyal employee. Who probably lived a very nice life in part to that company. I work in the oil industry. And oil money provides me with a pretty cushy lifestyle. I rrlize more people have died over oil than any other product. I have no issue calling out the big oil companies as scum bags. Just like GM. Recent history isn't in GMs favor.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Brother I get it. You worked for them. And you seam like a very loyal employee. Who probably lived a very nice life in part to that company. I work in the oil industry. And oil money provides me with a pretty cushy lifestyle. I rrlize more people have died over oil than any other product. I have no issue calling out the big oil companies as scum bags. Just like GM. Recent history isn't in GMs favor.
True, but now I get paid pretty well to be very objective wrt the entire industry and each of the companies in it. GM has a lot of issues and their approach to China is "weird" to say the least. They are more "in" on China than just about any company except VW. But in particular the Ventec thing has been reported very inaccurately. The timeline in the press clearly shows that GM started working on it before Trump said anything.

newmoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Cobra, 10 SS, 12 392, 12 5.0

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Times were very close, my guess is the C8 is easier to drive fast, but the Shelby's time does show what it is capable of especially considering it is compared to a mid-engine, DCT Corvette.
Well maybe not what the GT350 is capable of when it's an engineer driving. Yes, the engineer might be a really good driver, but I'd be willing to bet the GT350 is capable of more with a professional driver behind the wheel.

Awesome when a car can be so capable even with so many handicaps in comparison to the C8. Arguably faster than the C8, plus it's a lot more fun to drive with a manual and that amazing Voodoo engine.

Sponsored

DekiDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
So not only was the 350 crushed by the C8 it was killed by the C8 and the GT 500. All the guessing about how these cars would perform is over. For the most part they have both lived up to their hype. It is a little silly to compare the C8 base to the GT 500. The C8 holds its own with a couple hundred less hp. Wait for the Z06 to come out then compare.
If you still want a fun manual car, that's a great all around performer, your options are a little limited. 350 is still a beast.

Grabber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Mach1 Q code , 1971 Boss 351, 2014 Taurus SHO
The reason the GT 350 is leaving the lineup is it is time, nothing more. It is a limited production car and this is no surprise to anyone, it has nothing to do with performance metrics at all. The GT 350 was produced to provide a car that could be entered legally into sports car racing with minimum changes, just like the 2012 - 2013 Boss 302 was. Add your roll cage and a few things and go. That is why they were both produced with high winding NA engines of legal displacement and not supercharged.

lateinthegame

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
The reason the GT 350 is leaving the lineup is it is time, nothing more. It is a limited production car and this is no surprise to anyone, it has nothing to do with performance metrics at all. The GT 350 was produced to provide a car that could be entered legally into sports car racing with minimum changes, just like the 2012 - 2013 Boss 302 was. Add your roll cage and a few things and go. That is why they were both produced with high winding NA engines of legal displacement and not supercharged.
Maybe they are/were both raced, but it is not a fair comparison of the GT350 to the Lincoln Log Boss 302. The GT350 blows the Boss away

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Whipple the GT350 and say BYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE to the c8. Plus not sure how many of you peeps have driven high horse mid-engine cars, but it's not for the average guy when you put the pedal down.

lateinthegame

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Whipple the GT350 and say BYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE to the c8. Plus not sure how many of you peeps have driven high horse mid-engine cars, but it's not for the average guy when you put the pedal down.
the C8 Z06 is approaching. I am sure it will be something special for an American car
Sponsored