Jayvineh

Jayvineh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Honestly after living there 6 years i wouldnt want to take my new Mustang there. Typhoons every season, coral dust, salty air would probably ruin it before you moved back. I owned 5 cars in 6 years. One of them i had to get rid of because it literally rusted a hole in the roof inside where the sunroof slid in when it was open. There are plenty of cheap cars to get you by in your time there. The fasted speed limit on the island when i was there was on the expressway that you had to pay to use and it was only 80 kmph. Most of the time it was around 30 to 40 kmph
That’s good to know. Thank you!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jayvineh

Jayvineh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
My wife is from Japan, not from Okinawa but from Honshu (main island) near Yokohama. I had a 2004 BMW E46 M3 that I bought new and was going to take it with us as I was considering moving there for while. I was told flat out if I converted the car to what would be needed to be able to operate in Japan that the car wouldn't be allowed back to the states. It ended up we didn't move there....love Japan though. Are you USMC? If so Semper Fi brother, from an old US Army Infantry dog...
That’s interesting. I’m looking forward to the move there! Nope, I’m actually in the Air Force.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
That’s interesting. I’m looking forward to the move there! Nope, I’m actually in the Air Force.

Okinawa is quite different than people from Honshu, in fact a lot of Okinawans don't even consider themselves Japanese...they are Okinawans. You will love Japan...

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I’m actually in the Air Force.
then you need to finagle a flight to Niigata. And then rent a car and spend a many a quality day driving in and out of the mountains and along the shore.

DILLIGAFTXVET

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Retired Air Force myself. I did 2 consecutive tours in Okinawa. My wife and I loved it there. I tried to make it 3 tours but they changed the rules on staying there during my 2nd tour and we had to leave. Scuba diving there is amazing!!! Many different coutries to visit from there that you can fly space A to. Food and people are amazing. Would love to go back there one day. Are you going for 2 or 3 years?

Sponsored

Phoneman1223

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Keep your Mustang in the states. I bought a Toyota Sprinter of a fellow Marine for $150 who was rotating off the island, drove it around the island for my year there. Going to the beach, bars, and camping is no place for a brand new Mustang. The people in Okinawa can’t drive worth a shit or park.

OP
OP
Jayvineh

Jayvineh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
then you need to finagle a flight to Niigata. And then rent a car and spend a many a quality day driving in and out of the mountains and along the shore.
I’ll have to look into it! Thanks for the tip!

OP
OP
Jayvineh

Jayvineh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Retired Air Force myself. I did 2 consecutive tours in Okinawa. My wife and I loved it there. I tried to make it 3 tours but they changed the rules on staying there during my 2nd tour and we had to leave. Scuba diving there is amazing!!! Many different coutries to visit from there that you can fly space A to. Food and people are amazing. Would love to go back there one day. Are you going for 2 or 3 years?
I will definitely be in the water a lot. I’m looking forward to that! I’ll probably be there for two years.

OP
OP
Jayvineh

Jayvineh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Keep your Mustang in the states. I bought a Toyota Sprinter of a fellow Marine for $150 who was rotating off the island, drove it around the island for my year there. Going to the beach, bars, and camping is no place for a brand new Mustang. The people in Okinawa can’t drive worth a shit or park.
That’s good to know. Thank you!

Ba2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nat
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang
Hey everyone, I tried doing some research about this and I wasn’t able to find much. I’m getting stationed next summer in Okinawa Japan and I’m trying to decide if bringing my 2019 Mustang GT is a good idea or not. It’s a pretty small tropical island. I’ve heard you have to pay tax per engine displacement there. I’ve also heard that left side driven muscle cars are sought after in Japan, but I wasn’t able to find much to support this. Does anyone have any experience? Thanks!
I was stationed to Okinawa in 1961-1963. I don't expect that it has change that much (geographically). I really isn't Japanese it's Okinawan. The US returned it to Japan but it wasn't Japan before WWII. The island is small with mostly two lane roads. It had a four lane section near Kadena AB. But the Japanese promised to put in an eight lane road. So the morning of the transfer they re-striped the highway for eight lanes.

I think it would be a waste to bring you Mustang GT over there. I feel a motorcycle would be best. When I was there a max of 125cc was the norm. Might be larger now. My data is old (so am I) but the island is only so big. I was station at Onna Point on the East China Sea.

Good luck and enjoy.

Sponsored

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly after living there 6 years i wouldnt want to take my new Mustang there. Typhoons every season, coral dust, salty air would probably ruin it before you moved back. I owned 5 cars in 6 years. One of them i had to get rid of because it literally rusted a hole in the roof inside where the sunroof slid in when it was open. There are plenty of cheap cars to get you by in your time there. The fasted speed limit on the island when i was there was on the expressway that you had to pay to use and it was only 80 kmph. Most of the time it was around 30 to 40 kmph
Well three months after I got the 2019 GT, I was asked if I was interested for another interview for a relocation to Guam, I politely declined the interview, been to Guam several times and same thing, some coral roads, low speed limits, and .... need a 4x4 beater truck or jeep. I would have done it if I had not just ordered and received the car.

Decanes

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium Magnetic Metallic PP1 Magneride 401A manual Roush stage 2
My son was stationed at Camp Gonsalves and said he took the green bus every place
said its pretty small Island

OP
OP
Jayvineh

Jayvineh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I was stationed to Okinawa in 1961-1963. I don't expect that it has change that much (geographically). I really isn't Japanese it's Okinawan. The US returned it to Japan but it wasn't Japan before WWII. The island is small with mostly two lane roads. It had a four lane section near Kadena AB. But the Japanese promised to put in an eight lane road. So the morning of the transfer they re-striped the highway for eight lanes.

I think it would be a waste to bring you Mustang GT over there. I feel a motorcycle would be best. When I was there a max of 125cc was the norm. Might be larger now. My data is old (so am I) but the island is only so big. I was station at Onna Point on the East China Sea.

Good luck and enjoy.
I’ve been reading up up some history and it sounds like there could still be some resentment. Understandably. I was planning on bringing my bike. It’s 600cc so I may need to do alittle research. Thanks for the tip!

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Get yourself a 400cc I4 screamer if sport bikes are your thing. Now there is where you can make some money on your return trip. Some JDM 2-smokes will also fetch a pretty price Stateside.
Sponsored