Sponsored

Question for anyone who has installed Koni Special Active rear shocks.

RCs550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I installed the rear shocks today on my 18 GT, and the top nut that keeps the shock in the mount seems off. It doesn't tighten all the way down and there seems to be a lot of play. This is my first time installing shocks, so I'm not sure the proper terminology. Koni says they are direct replacements, it came with a new top nut that is different from the stock nut. Sorry if this sounds confusing, just trying to figure out if I did it right or not
Sponsored

H00CH90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
The nut that koni provides should tighten all the way, I didnt have any play in mine.

OP
OP
RCs550

RCs550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
The nut that koni provides should tighten all the way, I didnt have any play in mine.
Thanks, I think I found my answer, I need an Allan key to hold it in place and then tighten down with 17mm wrench. Not sure how I'm going to torque it though.

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Hold the shock shaft in a vice with soft jaws, all it needs to do is hold the shock not stop the shaft from rotating. Put an allen head socket into the shaft key and a tq wrench on the nut. Use the allen head socket to apply counter clockwise force to stop the shaft from rotating while you wind the nut with the wrench. Don't apply torque with the allen head socket or you'll strip the key.

It's a 30 sec job each side for a shop using a rattle gun, Koni doesn't recommend rattle guns but most shops use them. Or better still get a shop to do the install, it's about 15 min/side.

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
RCs550

RCs550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Thanks everyone for the help, I took them to a shop and they torqued them down for me. I got finished installing BMR's cb005, cb762, and verical links the past few days. Going to get an alignment done soon. When I get a chance, I'll replace fronts with the Koni's.
Sponsored