Sponsored

Brake upgrade that will fit OE GT 18" wheels?

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT convertible w/3 pedals, BMW M550i
I am planning to buy a new GT this week (if all goes well) and do a HPDE end of June at VIR. That gives me enough time to prepare the car. Everything I read here says that the stock (non-PP) brakes are inadequate for the track, largely because of the rotor cooling. Natch I would purchase and install proper track pads, flush the fluid, etc. Initially I'll be using the OE tires as well, so I expect to do a lot more braking than I normally would.

Are there rotor options on the market that have properly oriented cooling vanes?

If not, is there a caliper/rotor upgrade that will fit under the OE wheels?

If not, then I guess I'll go with the Brembo PP setup, but then I'm buying new wheels and tires as well.

Thanks,
Michael
Sponsored

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
The OE 18" wheel and tire is pretty inadequate for a 460+ hp, 3900+ lb car (with driver). I'd proceed with caution. The limits will be low, and the tire will struggle being not-high performance all-season.

The brakes are more capable than people give them credit for, but anyone who has a good amount of experience will suffer some heat management issues. VIR is a tough test on brakes. There are aftermarket 2-pc options that get the venting fixed. Steeda, Baer both offer options that are not drilled. @Bluemustang will actually be selling his F/R Steeda 2 pc setup for the base GT brakes for a good price shortly. You'll also need to get airflow to those brakes, which adds additional complexity.

Ultimately you're going to want a wider and more track-capable tire if you plan to do some HPDEs. It's not just a speed thing, but an enjoyment & safety thing with a powerful, heavy car. Having evolved mine from a base car, I would NOT start with anything other than a PP1 if you plan any track time at all. There are just too many little things that matter that become expensive and complex to integrate later.
Well said, Brian. I don't really have anything else to add to that, except - if you're planning future track time, avoid the temptation to keep the stock 18" wheels because the 6 piston Brembos won't fit under them. You'll end up spending more money in the long run when you can get a cheap set of 19" wheels, which almost all of em will clear those brakes. In other words, if track time will be more and more part of your future, you'll end up buying the Brembo eventually.

ModularKid21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 GT
Vehicle Showcase
You’ll probably come to the conclusion that you’ll want the pp brake set up so going with 19’s or picking up some apex 18” wheels would work. I’m sure you’re familiar with them since you came over from the bimmer world. Everything else has been covered above

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I am planning to buy a new GT this week (if all goes well) and do a HPDE end of June at VIR. That gives me enough time to prepare the car. Everything I read here says that the stock (non-PP) brakes are inadequate for the track, largely because of the rotor cooling. Natch I would purchase and install proper track pads, flush the fluid, etc. Initially I'll be using the OE tires as well, so I expect to do a lot more braking than I normally would.
Step one, buy the right car. For one that is planned to see track use, that is a minimum of a PP1.
Sponsored