Sponsored

How many test-drive miles on a new manual car is your limit?

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
ter with some drivability issues, so I took it into the dealer and went for a drive with the shop foreman. The first thing he does is redline it through the first few gears. "We do this with all of the cars when they come in," he says. "You guys don't drive them hard enough." There is some truth to that, and he wasn't abusive about it, but I dare say that the majority of Porsche owners would have a cow if they knew that. In my case, I didn't really care and he said my complaints were detectable but "they all do that" which of course, they don't, but enough do that Porsche doesn't have a fix for it, and I sold the car.

That there is a sport car :) Reminded me on that scene.
Sponsored

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I feel like it's pretty hard to money shift these cars, I mean 2nd gear on the new ones goes to like 80mph, you almost have to be trying to do an overrev.
I did overrev the car on the track first time out I even had an engine error code for it. However the car run fine minus the oil burn :)

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Premium
I know, just trying to be funny.
i always thought i couldn't dislike the cars i sold more than toyota, but now that i'm a sales manager at a nissan store i realize how much worse it can actually get. i tried to move over to the ford side but there just wasn't much money at the dealers close enough for me to want to commute to. i was an internet director at a Chevy store for a short while and it was really cool driving ZL1s and corvettes around, but once again the money sucked hard. i think i'm doomed to boring brands

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
For those with lots of miles at delivery

Sponsored

M.A.N.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ranger 2018 F-150 2014 GT500
i always thought i couldn't dislike the cars i sold more than toyota, but now that i'm a sales manager at a nissan store i realize how much worse it can actually get. i tried to move over to the ford side but there just wasn't much money at the dealers close enough for me to want to commute to. i was an internet director at a Chevy store for a short while and it was really cool driving ZL1s and corvettes around, but once again the money sucked hard. i think i'm doomed to boring brands
What is it that you dislike more at the Nissan store? I guess everyone wants a Prius in your neighbor hood.

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Premium
What is it that you dislike more at the Nissan store? I guess everyone wants a Prius in your neighbor hood.
NMAC is a crappy captive bank given the fact that we have a high percentage of subprime customers, CVTs have destroyed a lot of customer loyalty, and they just don't make anything exciting except for the GT-R. it's pretty bad when the only nissan products i would personally drive are all 10+ years old (frontier, GT-R, 370Z). Nissan also spends very little on marketing and advertising. the new Sentra is actually pretty nice looking inside and out but the only place i've seen it "advertised" is magazine reviews, but regular people don't read or watch those for the most part.

toyota has boring cars but they do try to put some excitement into them. for example all the TRD Pro trucks/SUVs, TRD avalon and camry now, upcoming Corolla hatchback GR, Supra, 86, etc. and they are doing lots of hybrids where you can now get Prius-like fuel economy in a RAV4 (which is selling like crazy by the way)

they also REFUSE to come out with a competitive lease on the Leaf. when customers can pay the same or maybe a little more for a Tesla Model 3 is it any wonder why Leaf sales have slowed to a crawl?

Flare65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Mine had 8 miles on it. My wifes new Honda Passport had 6 miles on it. Both were special orders.

S550 HPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost High Performance Package
My special order 2020 had 2.4 miles on it.

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT convertible w/3 pedals, BMW M550i
Just as a data point, I test drove a new Bullitt this weekend that had 420 miles on it. A few more after I returned it (I got lost).

Sponsored

IceAge

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
GG
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500, 2022 GT500, 2020 GT Mustang, Raptor,
My selling dealer would not allow me even to test drive her but she had 27.8 miles on her kinda had to scratch my head on that one. And I’m a huge customer to them being I purchased a ton of vehicles from them. But nope no test drive and even asked the salesman why then 27 miles on her and of course the blank look :)
FE06B20C-5270-4494-85D4-58869C2E2071.jpeg
7EAB028A-45F8-47A9-83C4-E5D3C3CF67F3.jpeg

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium with Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase
Seems to me that they are trying to keep it under 30 miles.
If you do happen to still try to purchase it, they should give you some type of extra warranty, due to you not being able to drive it. Purchase without a test drive, still a risk; as far as I am concerned.

My selling dealer would not allow me even to test drive her but she had 27.8 miles on her kinda had to scratch my head on that one. And I’m a huge customer to them being I purchased a ton of vehicles from them. But nope no test drive and even asked the salesman why then 27 miles on her and of course the blank look :)

gamecoc430

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
27.8 miles on it - not surprised. As I posted earlier, they often move vehicles around at the plant holding area to properly stage them for rail transport. When I ordered mine I tracked it all the way until I met it on the truck transport at the dealer. It was moved from lot to lot at the plant until a railcar heading my way was ready. Detroit to South Carolina, they need to put it on a rail car going to my town. I don't think they move them from one rail car to another once they are loaded. I also tracked the exact rail car on its trip to South Carolina. I was waiting at the rail head when the train pulled in. I waited and watched MY car beinging driven off the rail car to a waiting truck transport. Followed the truck to my dealer, called my salesman and fussed at him for not letting me know my car had arrived. He said he didn't know it was here, and I said "I know, I just followed it in." He came out and met me and we were both there as it was unloaded. Looked inside and milage was about 27 miles. Just saying . . . . .

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Because it was koons LOL. lots of stuff around the net and even this forum about how dishonest that dealer is. 27 miles becasue they took it for lunch and "pdi" the car.

308 Cal. Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dee
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 + other 2/4/& 6 wheeled trash barges
You would not have posed the question if your own "gut feeling" wasnt a concern.
Its what u feel comfortable with, & it sounds like the scuffs are just an added annoyance.
Id worry more about the exterior damage myself, 1st, but Id also be lying if I didn't admit that when I want a new car I want it new.
Now what defines "New" is entirely opinion based on cars that are on lots for months & get test driven, or drove home by the sales managers & others who get that luxury .

I bought a new Lariat ,auto, so i realize its not what u wanna hear, but still in new model yr, but 15k miles. And it was Lemom Lawed!!
Test drive in auto park around Tempe AZ went good. Bought it, got on freeway and
"pulled like a beotch" ..
They had aligned it 2x, turned rotors 2x. Claimed factory authorized Ford rebuild center
< if thats even a real place ??>
Supposedly fixed it. Since no dealerships could.
Nor could the Ford Yahooos apparently.

Tk bk on Monday from Saturday evening purchase, told service advisor that Castor was off on 1 side and I wanted it chk'd 1st before all this rotor and toe adjustment BS was done for the 100th time.
He replied, "ooh, ur an ASE Certificated Mech?"
NOPE. I told him I build race cars professionally, & hav since 1988, & that this symtom is the same as a racecar w/uneven castor degree's per side, well beyond .5° variance.
Mechanic called hr later & said castor isnt Adjustable on these
< welded variant in a jig on assembly line >non adjustable...
"So now what?" I said, " im paying for Castor to ne chked if u wont under warranty "
They ordered an aftermarket castor/camber kit that makes 1 side adjustable and it was fixed next day.
So 15k. Lemon lawed, less than yr old.
$14 grand under bk price. And just had to deal w/2 days in shop.
Still own it, great truck. Had performance aftermarket large exh tibe/mufflers,
so i suspect dude drove it harder than a grandpa.

Its really how u feel. I expected my trk to be fixed as promised.
Just lucky i know bad suspension setups from dealing w/230+mph pro mods, which are now slower as we run 1/8 mile other than nhra/and very few other events.
@ those speeds over 200mph, the castor has to be close. And on welded non suspension cars like dragsters and funnycars, we see our share of builds w/bad castor as its fixed by welding spindle boss to chassis.

Dont buy a lemon law car btw. I got lucky.
Most do not.
If ur gut says bad deal.
Just move on.
Too many cars to choose from.

Everytime i get pissed over a car deal that fell thru, the wife ALWAYS reminds me.. she says,
" ulU always say theres another great car/great deal if this 1 doesn't wrk out..take ur iwn advice"

Id suggest u take the same advice u give a friend on this topic.

Miles & scuffs = what? To ur advise too a friend?
Sponsored