Sponsored

How many test-drive miles on a new manual car is your limit?

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
That was a great point. I've done that a few times before, as a matter of fact. Sent your reply to the salesman. Ha ha. Thanks brother.

The rest of your post was a diatribe. Ha ha. You just don't get it, and that's okay. First of all, we're discussing MANUAL cars here; I'm much less picky with autos. The issue is HOW the car is driven, under what conditions, and by whom. The most concerning issue to me is abusing an engine on COLD OIL. You can decrease the life of that engine significantly, especially with several test drives. If it was done on a fully warmed up engine, it's not nearly as bad. The next issue is you might be a great driver, but it's a f***ing new car, and you don't know it. If you're a good driver, you don't abuse a car until you actually know it. If you grind a tranny hard enough, you could ruin it right there (broken tooth, etc). Or worse: after you buy it. But the biggie on a manual is a money shift (downshifting instead of upshifting, mechanically overrevving the engine). Those could also dramatically decrease the life of the engine (if not too much over). So say whatever you want, but you can do real damage with even less than 50 miles. Oh, and by the way, I always ask for a demo to test-drive. If not available, I test drive it sedately, just like if I had just bought it myself. You're probably going to say next that I'm stupid, but that's who I am: always respectful, even if others aren't. And if it's a demo, I don't get on it (if at all) until oil is at operating temperature (or 10-15 miles, if no gauge). If a new car, I simply don't get on it, out of respect for the new future owner (in case they're like me. Ha ha).

As I said already, the 66 miles on this car are not an automatic deal-breaker; that depends on how the test-drive go... if it even goes. Still waiting on photos of door panels, sills, etc., to see what's the damage. And my biggest hurdle is one that I might not be able to overcome: If dealer doesn't want to give me money back, to be able to finance the minimum of $5K they want, there won't be any Bullitt. Will ask a few people I know that might want my truck, and if I could do a deal privately without having to advertise it, then I'd be able to buy something farther away. We'll see how it goes. But I'm not going to give away several thousands dollars just because the difference has to be 5 grand.
I feel like it's pretty hard to money shift these cars, I mean 2nd gear on the new ones goes to like 80mph, you almost have to be trying to do an overrev. Sure, beating on a car with cold oil is bad, but it's just a cumulative damage thing and modern oils are pretty good at preventing cold start wear nowadays, especially since 5W20 is thin enough to get to the valve train pretty quick. I totally get your logic and I'm kind of that way as well, but I also accept that sometimes when the car is out of your hands, shit you don't want to happen, will happen. But given that it's in your hands 99% of the time, it's not a concern. You think when you take it for an oil change or a warranty repair the tech doesn't slap the limiter a few times pulling into the garage? That he doesn't pin it to the wood when test driving after a fix? Because they do, lol.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Leaving now to get the car 1.5 hrs away. Deal wasn't the best, but most dealers are not willing to lose money on cars, so at $43K ($51,880 MSRP), which is a few hundred bucks below actual cost with all rebates and holdback, was the limit. But since I didn't have to pay shipping or plane tickets, it worked out close to the overall best deal I found in OH ($40,840) for a black one.

Nate_V8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/CS
1st world problems. Like there's not wanting a high mile used car and then there's super anal retentive jesus there's 200 miles on this car. I bought mine with 30k km on the clock. Was it driven correctly? Who knows. I still have a 5 year power train warranty and I beat the living shit out of it every time I take it out (when the oil is at temp of course). If you like it, buy it, a few test drives won't kill it and if it does that is what a warranty is for.

I mean have you only purchased new cars?

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium with Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure I have a limit per se'.
I have been very lucky to own quite a few new cars. The lowest mileage I ever purchased was 11.

My 2018 Mustang GT PP1, had 300 miles on it. And, that's because it was driven from Tennessee to Atlanta, versus on a trailer...

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium with Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase
Looking forward to the update once you have the car, photos, etcetera. I feel like am getting a new car - LOL

Leaving now to get the car 1.5 hrs away. Deal wasn't the best, but most dealers are not willing to lose money on cars, so at $43K ($51,880 MSRP), which is a few hundred bucks below actual cost with all rebates and holdback, was the limit. But since I didn't have to pay shipping or plane tickets, it worked out close to the overall best deal I found in OH ($40,840) for a black one.

Sponsored

Hillsndale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 Magneride Magnetic Grey

ShadowPP2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang PP2, 2003 SVT Cobra, 1940 Ford Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
For me, if it already has over 100-200 miles its been a loaner or one of the employees was driving it home so at that point I would consider it more of a demo and ask for cash off or some other consideration. At 66 miles, I would at least raise a stink about it and see what you can get, even if its just some merch. Wouldn't worry about high revs tho, that could happen in just one.

Mine had 25 miles when i bought it. None of the sales people knew how to drive a manual so I drove out of its place next to the other cars, thru the lot and on the test drive then thru the lot again and even backed it into its original parking place. Dealers usually don't let you start the test drive til your off the lot or at least away from the other cars.

When I took delivery it had deep scuffs on the front bumper. Told them right away and had two managers come out to see/confirm it before I drove away. Brought it back a week later to be fixed, looked like they just touched it up with a Sharpie, and the wrong shade at that. Before I brought it in the 2nd time I sent the sales lady and two managers emails telling them how bad the first attempt was and that after 30 years of family cars I wasn't going to settle for that on my new GT and to their credit, they fixed it perfect. I don't like to bitch but sometimes ya gotta.

UserName

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 718 GT4
Mine had .6 miles. Dealership - gas station - back. They don't let anyone test drive manual Mustang GT / GT350 / GT350R.

I’d say you’re partially correct. The GT 350R my buddy bought had a dead battery on the showroom floor because it came off the truck into the showroom. While my GT with manual had 36 miles on it when I purchased. The parking lot to truck isn’t 35.4 miles so I assume it’s test drives. I had such an overwhelming amount of miles left under warranty, I said screw it.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
I’d say you’re partially correct
Yes Sir, that's just this particular dealership. They learned long ago, don't let the peeps test drive HiPo manual cars without a hefty deposit.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
My 2020 had 6 miles on her...

Sponsored

gamecoc430

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Those of you who bought a new car with less than one mile on it -- hard to believe. It's over 3/4 mile from the assembly line to the rail head. Do you think they trucked it across the very large parking area to the rail head? And when taken off the rail car, at the final destination you think it was loaded directly onto a truck transport? Mine was ordered and I followed it from the rail head to the dealer and watched them unload it. 23 miles on the odometer. Sometimes they move these cars around to get in line for transport. .6, .7 miles when delivered to the dealer? I don't think t's possible. I've seen the Ford plant, and both the plant and parking areas are huge. Just saying . . . . . .

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
IM glad you finally got a car I have never seen anyone stress buying a new car more then you did. It was exhausting really LOL enjoy.

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Premium
bt
Those of you who bought a new car with less than one mile on it -- hard to believe. It's over 3/4 mile from the assembly line to the rail head. Do you think they trucked it across the very large parking area to the rail head? And when taken off the rail car, at the final destination you think it was loaded directly onto a truck transport? Mine was ordered and I followed it from the rail head to the dealer and watched them unload it. 23 miles on the odometer. Sometimes they move these cars around to get in line for transport. .6, .7 miles when delivered to the dealer? I don't think t's possible. I've seen the Ford plant, and both the plant and parking areas are huge. Just saying . . . . . .
i have personally seen a new toyota hit the lot with 0 miles on it before. this was even after PDI. i think one of our techs was too lazy to do a test drive. i'm not sure how it didn't get miles on it leaving the factory, but saw 0 on the odo with my own two eyes

M.A.N.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ranger 2018 F-150 2014 GT500
bt

i have personally seen a new toyota hit the lot with 0 miles on it before. this was even after PDI. i think one of our techs was too lazy to do a test drive. i'm not sure how it didn't get miles on it leaving the factory, but saw 0 on the odo with my own two eyes
I'd say that's normal for a toyota, who would want to test drive one! lol