Sponsored

Mickey Thompson ET Street R vs. R Bias vs. S/S

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
I believe there is alot of misinformation about drag radials and manual transmission cars.
Almost the entirety of the stick shift guys I go racing with are on ET street R radials with no issues. I switched from hoosier bias plys to ET street R radials 2 years ago and have had dozens of 800 whp 5,500rpm 2 step launches without failure. The key is to have a dialed in suspension to eliminate wheel hop and a quick slip of the clutch off the line.

Modern radial technology has come along way over the years and can be made to work with stick shift cars.
Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I believe there is alot of misinformation about drag radials and manual transmission cars.
Almost the entirety of the stick shift guys I go racing with are on ET street R radials with no issues. I switched from hoosier bias plys to ET street R radials 2 years ago and have had dozens of 800 whp 5,500rpm 2 step launches without failure. The key is to have a dialed in suspension to eliminate wheel hop and a quick slip of the clutch off the line.

Modern radial technology has come along way over the years and can be made to work with stick shift cars.
What’s your best time and sixty using the described above launch. Just out of curiosity?

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
What’s your best time and sixty using the described above launch. Just out of curiosity?
1.61 60ft 10.5 at 137.9 mph 4120 lb race weight stock shocks 14 psi pre burnout.

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
When NASCAR went to radials the "drivers" were rendered doomed.

Bias ply you can control the "spin" Radials, you wipe out. Numerous YT video's.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
When NASCAR went to radials the "drivers" were rendered doomed.

Bias ply you can control the "spin" Radials, you wipe out. Numerous YT video's.
So your saying I shouldn’t run radials if I drive in a NASCAR race?

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
No choice Nascar dictates the tire.

2017Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lucas
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0
There was a lot of good info here. To piggy back off of this; how did you like the ET street Rs after running them last year? I am in a bit of an opposite situation of wanting to run them more on the street and occasionally at the strip. I would like something with more hook and will only run them in the summer. Also, as of recently Nitto just release the NT555 R2s and I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts between something like the MT ET S/S vs those Nittos?

Sponsored

Evolution IX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
For mostly street use I would personally choose the Nitto 555RII. If you get caught in the rain with the ET Street R it’s hairy. ET Street SS are also good but once they wear they are also no fun in the rain.

2017Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lucas
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0
Excellent! Thank you, looking into it I think you are very right! Something that will confer more benefit at the strip over the NT55G2s I have and also hook better on the street. G2s are great tires for the street, but with a FI application we def need some more hook.

In the same breath, maybe this is basic knowledge: But for example, if I look at a 305/45/17 vs. a 305/35/19, obviously the side wall aspect ratio is different (45 having more side wall). But what I haven't been able to discern a clear answer on is, are there any performance benifits to having more sidewall (aside from the obvious ride quality and supposed better cornering ability from having more side wall). Is there any straight line benefit, would one be better for certain applications over another (specifically to my case)? If not, why even have the same tires, just personal taste for different rim sizes then?

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1
I’m glad I found this thread...here’s my dilemma;

I have my suspension pretty much buttoned up although I’m on stock shocks and struts. My motor is stock NA and I’ve got the MT82.

I upgraded the axles to GT350 ones.

Soon I will have an E85 tune and shortly thereafter I’ll have ARH LTH’s.

I took mine out to the track last Friday and it was the first time since I added the BMR lockout, RLCA bearings, vertical links, subframe brace, subframe alignment pins and diff bushing and hardware.

Nitto NT555 G2 tires are what I have now.

The good? The suspension parts did their job. Gone was that sloppy feeling and violent wheel hop.

The bad? Spin city, baby.

I made two passes and on the first I launched and dumped the clutch at about 2500. On the second I upped it to 3500. I spun like crazy on the second.

On the first run I had traction control off but AdvanceTrac on bc for some damn reason AT would NOT shut off. On the second I was able to get the AT to shut off.

Both times I was low 2’s in the 60’. Had it not gotten so crowded I was going to run again and this time launch from idle.

Since I’m a stick car I had it in my mind that I needed a bias ply slick to help keep my trans/clutch from grenading themselves.

But I’ve been reading up more and I see some guys rolling on the MT ET Street R’s. Ideally I would like to use these because I can change them in my garage, roll to the track and back home and not have to worry about changing in the pit.

What do you guys think? I’ve seen differing opinions so I’d like to gather some more info before I buy a set of VMS rears and wrap them in the MT ET Street R’s.

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
I’m glad I found this thread...here’s my dilemma;

I have my suspension pretty much buttoned up although I’m on stock shocks and struts. My motor is stock NA and I’ve got the MT82.

I upgraded the axles to GT350 ones.

Soon I will have an E85 tune and shortly thereafter I’ll have ARH LTH’s.

I took mine out to the track last Friday and it was the first time since I added the BMR lockout, RLCA bearings, vertical links, subframe brace, subframe alignment pins and diff bushing and hardware.

Nitto NT555 G2 tires are what I have now.

The good? The suspension parts did their job. Gone was that sloppy feeling and violent wheel hop.

The bad? Spin city, baby.

I made two passes and on the first I launched and dumped the clutch at about 2500. On the second I upped it to 3500. I spun like crazy on the second.

On the first run I had traction control off but AdvanceTrac on bc for some damn reason AT would NOT shut off. On the second I was able to get the AT to shut off.

Both times I was low 2’s in the 60’. Had it not gotten so crowded I was going to run again and this time launch from idle.

Since I’m a stick car I had it in my mind that I needed a bias ply slick to help keep my trans/clutch from grenading themselves.

But I’ve been reading up more and I see some guys rolling on the MT ET Street R’s. Ideally I would like to use these because I can change them in my garage, roll to the track and back home and not have to worry about changing in the pit.

What do you guys think? I’ve seen differing opinions so I’d like to gather some more info before I buy a set of VMS rears and wrap them in the MT ET Street R’s.
G2 is a crappy street tire. Bias ply slick is ideal in your situation. Why not get some Hoosiers on drive em to the track? I drive on slicks all the time. Obviously don't drive on em in the rain, but typically you are not going to the track if rain is in the forecast. You can run a DR, but can break parts if wheel hop occurs, and it will. Keep in mind that a clutch is a consumable in drag racing. If you are not comfortable putting a beat down on that clutch, you aren't really getting the most out of the car.

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1
G2 is a crappy street tire. Bias ply slick is ideal in your situation. Why not get some Hoosiers on drive em to the track? I drive on slicks all the time. Obviously don't drive on em in the rain, but typically you are not going to the track if rain is in the forecast. You can run a DR, but can break parts if wheel hop occurs, and it will. Keep in mind that a clutch is a consumable in drag racing. If you are not comfortable putting a beat down on that clutch, you aren't really getting the most out of the car.
thanks for the response!

I’m not opposed to driving on the Hoosiers but we are known for pop up storms and showers here in Houston. The 1/8th mile track is 60mi round trip and the 1/4 mile one is 100mi round trip. Worst case I put them in my truck and have my girlfriend drive that and I change them out at the track.

What size would you recommend if I went Hoosier?

I’ve got the wheel hop taken care of. I didn’t have any of it when I ran the other night. That was what I was anxious to see; how well all the stuff I put in there would fare. And I thought it did great. I just realized I needed a sticky tire.

Whenever I wear the G2’s down I’ll probably go Indy Firehawks for my street tire.

As for the clutch; if I blow it then I understand it’s part of racing. This is my weekend/fun car so if the stock clutch goes to Ford heaven then I’ll replace it with a McLeod.
Sponsored