Some guys seemingly tried to steal my 19 GT

hemistar1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2, 2017 F-150
Earlier this week, I caught on my cameras two guys trying to get into my car. But it seemed like they knew exactly what they were doing. I drive a manual, and I usually leave it turned to the curb (old habit), and they knew to go into the wheel well and disconnect the horn right inside. It was around 3am, and thankfully I was awake because even if the alarm tripped I wouldn't have heard it. When I got a hold of my key fob and hit the alarm button, they ran off, but of course there was no horn which is how I realized they disconnected it. When the cops came we saw what they did. At the moment I hit my alarm, my cameras took an automatic picture, and it seems one guy was trying to get into the door handle's key slot where you can pop it open to get a key in to open the door.

So this means my car was targetted clearly, but my question is, if they were able to get in, would they have been able to even drive off with it? I have the Enhanced Security Package as well for what its worth. We keep our keys in Faraday pouches in the house and away from the door. So do you think these guys were just trying to get in and steal stuff or would they have been able to get the car even without duping my keys? My logic is, if they had been able to duplicate my keys, they wouldnt have had to go through all that trouble, so they were trying to get in the old fashioned way. Should I be worried about thieves of this level trying to get my car? I dont care if they are able to get in, I keep literally nothing in my car (and less than nothing due to the pandemic, I'm not driving much). Is there anything I can do to rest easier on this?
4f2683e4-eed3-4509-bc89-5d5c51afb33d.jpg

Reminds me of my days back in college. 1991 Temple university, Philadelphia PA.. I parked my new Chevy Cavalier on 15th and Girard because parking was scarce and I couldn’t afford another parking ticket. Long story short.. the thief punched the door lock and cracked open the steering column. He didn’t get anywhere though because I removed the ignition module fuse.LOL!! That little 20 amp fuse made the difference. I found this trick by accident when I blew a radio fuse connecting a subwoofer and took out the wrong one.

what a shocker! I remember vividly when I filed the police report the arriving officer was so impressed that he gave me a pair of pliers to start the car and off I went home with a warning not to park in that neighborhood again ...$350 to $500 is what the repair shop charged to fix the steering column/ door lock. I should have just paid for the parking ticket...sheesh....

by the by .....the attempted theft happened in broad daylight!

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1
Reminds me of my days back in college. 1991 Temple university, Philadelphia PA.. I parked my new Chevy Cavalier on 15th and Girard because parking was scarce and I couldn’t afford another parking ticket. Long story short.. the thief punched the door lock and cracked open the steering column. He didn’t get anywhere though because I removed the ignition module fuse.LOL!! That little 20 amp fuse made the difference. I found this trick by accident when I blew a radio fuse connecting a subwoofer and took out the wrong one.

what a shocker! I remember vividly when I filed the police report the arriving officer was so impressed that he gave me a pair of pliers to start the car and off I went home with a warning not to park in that neighborhood again ...$350 to $500 is what the repair shop charged to fix the steering column/ door lock. I should have just paid for the parking ticket...sheesh....

ahhh yes, good ol North Philly and North Broad.

PS - my little sis is heading into her Junior year at Temple

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.

I worked at the power plant on 28th street in 2010. A 20 foot fence couldn’t keep the riff raft out. What a town.

mnm4ever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, MR2 Spyder, Sea Doo HX
Idk I kinda wish someone would steal mine. Agreed value collector car insurance would pay out about double what the current resale value is on it. There’s some sweet deals on cars right now.

And you guys really use Faraday pouches for your keys? Is cloning keys on a Mustang really that common? I usually just leave the keys on a hook in the garage.

Finally for the (luckily) very few ppl on here who would literally kill someone for trying to steal from them, you are really messed up in the head. Your exactly why we are gonna end up with gun laws. I am a responsible gun owner and I live in a red state. The red state with the most generous stand your ground laws in the country. And gun nuts like you are going to jail here often with that same attitude. You don’t get to hide behind a law like that to justify cold blooded murder anymore. Ppl used to be able to get away with it but that’s changing because of attitudes like yours. The idea that you think it’s OK to kill another human being over some stupid possessions is insane. It’s insured! They did it 200 years ago so it’s ok?!? Really? They did a lot of killing back then. Other violent things too. Things were really messed up back then. What if you miss and kill someone else? What if they have a kid in their car or something? What if they are just dumb kids who googled how to break into a car? Use your brain - that’s what separates the real men from the posers. Just open the door and yell at them and they will run away. Rack your shotgun if if makes you feel more manly and tough. That noise is very effective.

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Idk I kinda wish someone would steal mine. Agreed value collector car insurance would pay out about double what the current resale value is on it. There’s some sweet deals on cars right now.

And you guys really use Faraday pouches for your keys? Is cloning keys on a Mustang really that common? I usually just leave the keys on a hook in the garage.

Finally for the (luckily) very few ppl on here who would literally kill someone for trying to steal from them, you are really messed up in the head. Your exactly why we are gonna end up with gun laws. I am a responsible gun owner and I live in a red state. The red state with the most generous stand your ground laws in the country. And gun nuts like you are going to jail here often with that same attitude. You don’t get to hide behind a law like that to justify cold blooded murder anymore. Ppl used to be able to get away with it but that’s changing because of attitudes like yours. The idea that you think it’s OK to kill another human being over some stupid possessions is insane. It’s insured! They did it 200 years ago so it’s ok?!? Really? They did a lot of killing back then. Other violent things too. Things were really messed up back then. What if you miss and kill someone else? What if they have a kid in their car or something? What if they are just dumb kids who googled how to break into a car? Use your brain - that’s what separates the real men from the posers. Just open the door and yell at them and they will run away. Rack your shotgun if if makes you feel more manly and tough. That noise is very effective.
Key cloning is a real issue nowadays, it's RAMPANT over in Europe. Faraday pouches make it much more difficult.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Rack your shotgun if if makes you feel more manly and tough. That noise is very effective.
Definitely effective, but the sad part is, it’s illegal to brandish a firearm in many states and you could strangly become the criminal.

Confronting someone breaking into or stealing your car when you could have remained in a safe area (IE inside or at a distance to get a description) turns the tables to you being the agressor especially if you brandish a weapon. If there’s no “imminent threat” you could be in deep shit. Someone breaking into a car in an apartment complex doesn’t pose a threat to you unless you’re in or at the vehicle and were approached.

It’s unbelievable how many people in here would shoot someone over breaking in to or stealing their car. It’s an item. Criminals are pieces of shit but you don’t get to play God and decide who lives over property. Unreal.

The OP lives in Miami. For those of you who don’t know Miami or South Florida in general there’s tons of vehicle theft regardless of the area you live in. Some are statiscally safer than others, but there’s a lot of nice areas locked in by high crime neighboring areas. Auto theft rings are a huge business as it’s easy to make a quick flip or export to a whole different country just a few hours away by boat or air. It’s a low radar investigation for law enforcement and recovery rates suck. Last year they busted an entire warehouse full of new model Camry, Accord, etc wheels that were all stolen. Also - buying a house in South Florida isn’t a reality for many people. It’s real estate market is terribly inflated and there is very little new land left to develop so condos, apartments, townhomes are extremely common.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Get LoJack or another type of GPS tracker system installed if your vehicle was an “attempt”. Chances are, it’s a target and it won’t be an attempt next time, but a success for the thieves... If they want it, they will get it - be it at your home or if parked somewhere in public,

In most States if you have a LoJack (or similar system installed), you can get a max Ins. discount of 25% off your comprehensive portion annually... may not seem like much to some, but it pays for itself. I had LoJack in prior Mustangs and the max discount in NJ is 25% and the system is also a good selling point for a trade in or private sale because it is transferable.

——

You could even fabricate your own hidden kill switch that would be between the PCM and ignition - no PCM connection = no start.

——
Taking action with a firearm... As others have said, if you’re a legal gun owner, you can’t just blow away someone for attempted theft - there has to be imminent threat to yourself. How many of you actually read your Hone State’s Gun Laws and/or have ever heard of Castle Doctrine?

Even if your Home State has a Castle Doctrine it doesn’t mean it’s “go time”. That Doctrine is worded differently in every State and in some instances - the “no retreat” does not apply even with a Castle Doctrine in place.

Also to note, in many instances a CD doesn’t override current State Laws pertaining to Gun Ownership + self defense grounds, “stand your ground”, use of force if or when encountering an individual on one’s property (inside or outside).

To answer the question about someone breaking into a car that is parked in a home owners driveway:

1). Regardless of how far or how close the local or State Police Municipality may be, why not call and report the attempted break in first BEFORE stepping outside? That would be the question asked during an investigation involving you and your choice to use a gun.

2) If you’re going to go outside, you better be equipped to not only keep control of your weapon, but if you’re attacked by someone who was the lookout, your own weapon can be used against you. Sure, call BS, be Mr Macho and say, “I’ll just blow them all away”... when facts are it’s been reported many times over that a Gun Owner was killed during an attempt to stop a burglary in progress. The thief or perpetrator has nothing to lose, especially if they are a repeat offender.

3) If you do use the weapon, whether injuring or killing the perp be prepared for the long haul - regardless of what you believe is your “right”, hope to hell you WERE totally within your State’s right to fire upon an individual who was on your property. It’s not as easy as the TV and Movies make it out to be....

I support those who have legal gun ownership and believe the same as others with regards to protecting one’s self, family and/or property - but if you don’t know all of the Ins/outs of your State laws, once the trigger is pulled, you can’t take it back...

and this is coming from a legal handgun owner from the good old state of NJ, which is one of the stricter States for obtaining a handgun permit.

Point being with the hypothetical “what if” - don’t rely on "your right” or a Castle Doctrine as being your “pass go” card to fire upon anyone on your property or attempting to entering it (home, garage or cars); there’s a shit ton of legal fine print and intricacies, more so when current laws can trump it.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Get LoJack or another type of GPS tracker system installed if your vehicle was an “attempt”. Chances are, it’s a target and it won’t be an attempt next time, but a success for the thieves... If they want it, they will get it - be it at your home or if parked somewhere in public,

In most States if you have a LoJack (or similar system installed), you can get a max Ins. discount of 25% off your comprehensive portion annually... may not seem like much to some, but it pays for itself. I had LoJack in prior Mustangs and the max discount in NJ is 25% and the system is also a good selling point for a trade in or private sale because it is transferable.

——

You could even fabricate your own hidden kill switch that would be between the PCM and ignition - no PCM connection = no start.

——
Taking action with a firearm... As others have said, if you’re a legal gun owner, you can’t just blow away someone for attempted theft - there has to be imminent threat to yourself. How many of you actually read your Hone State’s Gun Laws and/or have ever heard of Castle Doctrine?

Even if your Home State has a Castle Doctrine it doesn’t mean it’s “go time”. That Doctrine is worded differently in every State and in some instances - the “no retreat” does not apply even with a Castle Doctrine in place.

Also to note, in many instances a CD doesn’t override current State Laws pertaining to Gun Ownership + self defense grounds, “stand your ground”, use of force if or when encountering an individual on one’s property (inside or outside).

To answer the question about someone breaking into a car that is parked in a home owners driveway:

1). Regardless of how far or how close the local or State Police Municipality may be, why not call and report the attempted break in first BEFORE stepping outside? That would be the question asked during an investigation involving you and your choice to use a gun.

2) If you’re going to go outside, you better be equipped to not only keep control of your weapon, but if you’re attacked by someone who was the lookout, your own weapon can be used against you. Sure, call BS, be Mr Macho and say, “I’ll just blow them all away”... when facts are it’s been reported many times over that a Gun Owner was killed during an attempt to stop a burglary in progress. The thief or perpetrator has nothing to lose, especially if they are a repeat offender.

3) If you do use the weapon, whether injuring or killing the perp be prepared for the long haul - regardless of what you believe is your “right”, hope to hell you WERE totally within your State’s right to fire upon an individual who was on your property. It’s not as easy as the TV and Movies make it out to be....

I support those who have legal gun ownership and believe the same as others with regards to protecting one’s self, family and/or property - but if you don’t know all of the Ins/outs of your State laws, once the trigger is pulled, you can’t take it back...

and this is coming from a legal handgun owner from the good old state of NJ, which is one of the stricter States for obtaining a handgun permit.

Point being with the hypothetical “what if” - don’t rely on "your right” or a Castle Doctrine as being your “pass go” card to fire upon anyone on your property or attempting to entering it (home, garage or cars); there’s a shit ton of legal fine print and intricacies, more so when current laws can trump it.
For what it's worth the 19+ cars have the FordPass modem built in already which has live GPS tracking. Sure, it's not hard to find, but I wager most thieves won't know it's there as factory equipment.

Also, pretty accurate about the weapons thing. The way I look at it is that you can always get a replacement car, but you can't get replacement hearing. Guns are loud, and you will get hearing damage without proper protections (which you won't be using in that type of circumstance). Indoors is even worse, so it really needs to be a last resort to make it worthwhile.

Sponsored

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium with Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase
Hmm, a little harsh. We as humans, are in some unprecedented times currently. People are merely doing what they can to survive financially at the moment. And, not everyone has a garage...

Why are people driving 19 GT’s (40-50k cars) that cannot afford to have them in locked and secured garages to begin with...? lol.

Like seeing the kid driving around a new kia stinger gt with a Dominos pizza delivery billboard on top of the car. Smart people.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
A box of murder hornets set-up to open if the car is messed with.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
I would say any newer/nicer car left outside over night is going to be a possible target regardless. We do choose where we live even if it is considered a “nicer” area. Messing with a car in garage just takes more effort. It is what it is. I had a motorcycle stolen down in the Miami area.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
I would say any newer/nicer car left outside over night is going to be a possible target regardless. We do choose where we live even if it is considered a “nicer” area. Messing with a car in garage just takes more effort. It is what it is. I had a motorcycle stolen down in the Miami area.
Also, "nice area" is a subjective and relative term. Just because you are accustomed to the area and nothing much happens there doesn't necessarily make it a nice area.

Living in the sticks has its advantages. :like:
Sponsored