Sponsored

Steeda Front Sway Bar Install Notes — easier than expected...busted OEM PP bushing a surprise

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Today I installed Steeda’s front sway bar and adjustable end links. It was time to ditch the PP sway bar—I had a bit of sway on sharp turns that I wanted to get rid of, so in the new bar went.

Install notes:

Let me say that this install was much easier than expected. It took a few hours, but I was working at a leisurely pace.

The toughest bit of the install is what all the YouTube install videos don’t show you...the bushing bolt under the alternator is a MAJOR pain to break, and I despise the ridiculous plastic flap that sits in the way of the operation:

full.jpg

I used a 3/8” socket wrench to squeeze on the bolt...a 1/2” will not fit under the alternator nor would a breaker bar and socket. I didn’t have the necessary leverage, so I got creative with a breaker-bar slid over the socket wrench (a roof rack with the end cap pulled off):

full.jpg

With this bolt out of the way, the remaining three bushing bolts came right out via a 20” extension by going through the engine bay (you need to remove the airbox):

full.jpg

The rest was not challenging—surprisingly so. I fished the OEM bar out from the **passenger side**. The only slight resistance was routing the bar around the large radiator hose. All too easy and done in 10 minutes or so.

full.jpg

I pushed the new Steeda bar in from the passenger side. Another 10 minutes and done:

full.jpg

I chose to attach the end links differently than how the OEM bit were installed—the large Steeda bar didn’t allow for much clearance (1-2mm) between end link and strut, so I installed the end links through the back side of the bar to give globs of clearance (testing still needed to ensure clearance at full lock):

full.jpg

The big surprise during this install was that my passenger-side OEM PP sway bar bushing was no longer fully bonded. Here’s a video of the properly bonded driver’s side:

And now the un-bonded passenger-side:

Cleary not a good situation, and this brings to light as to why I felt the car was more responsive turning fast one way, as opposed to the other. Another surprise was that the passenger-side OEM sway bar end link was bent. It wasn’t bent badly, but bent nevertheless. Glad I changed out the whole lot.

All and all, a straightforward install that was actually enjoyable to do in the garage on jack-stands. More to follow on how it drives once I can get out and about. Have a good one,

- Mike

——————————
UPDATE:

This bar was well worth the time and coin. The steering is much more accurate, the nose stays flat, left/right steering effort/feedback is now symmetrical, and the steering wheel snaps back to center where it would previously linger about 1/2” off center. The bar is set at medium-stiff (third hole towards the front).

I blasted a series of 45 to 90 degree turns, with my winter tires no less, and front grip for sure increased. The steering is a touch heavier in mid-turn, and is deliciously precise. No degradation of ride quality.

In the end, I came to three conclusions:

1) Replace the PP bar if you lower your car or just want better handling.

2) Adjustable end links are a worthy upgrade as they give mounting options and are stronger than the OEM pieces

3) It absolutely surprises me just how light and precise this car can become with a big front bar along with my other suspension mods. My buddy’s GTi feels like a soupy, heavy mess in comparison. The S550 is a hell of a value.

Have a good one,

— Mike

—————
UPDATE #2 12JAN21

Team — be sure to use medium strength locktite on the endlink nuts. I had some clunking develop after 100 or so miles and the locktite did the trick.

I’m also running mid-soft front now, no longer mid-stiff. Much better for uneven pavement in turns around town and still delivers the desired performance, turn-in, and steering weight.

— Mike
Sponsored

Last edited:

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
Today I installed Steeda’s front sway bar and adjustable end links. It was time to ditch the PP sway bar—I had a bit of sway on sharpe turns that I wanted to get rid of, so in the new bar went.

Install notes:

Let me say that this install was WAY easier than expected. It took a few hours, but I was working at a leisurely pace.

The toughest bit of the install is what they don’t show you on the install YouTube videos...the bushing bolt under the alternator is a MAJOR pain to break, and I despise the ridiculous plastic flap that sits in the way of the operation:

full.jpg

I used a 3/8” socket wrench to squeeze on the bolt...a 1/2” will not fit under the alternator nor will a breaker bar and socket. I didn’t have the necessary leverage, so I got creative with a breaker-bar (a roof rack with the end cap pulled off):

full.jpg

With this bolt out of the way, the remaining three bushing bolts came right out via a 20” extension by going through the engine bay (you need to remove the airbox):

full.jpg

The rest was super easy, surprisingly so. I fished the OEM bar out from the passenger side. The only slight resistance was routing the bar around the large radiator hose. All too easy and done in 10 minutes or so.

full.jpg

I pushed the new Steeda bar in from the passenger side. Another 10 minutes and done:

full.jpg

I chose to attach the end links differently than how the OEM bit were installed—the large Steeda bar didn’t allow for much clearance (1-2mm) between end link and strut, so I installed the end links through the back side of the bar (testing still needed to ensure clearance at full lock):

full.jpg

The big surprise during this install was that my passenger-side OEM PP sway bar bushing was no longer fully bonded. Here’s a video of the properly bonded driver’s side:

And now the un-bonded passenger-side:

Cleary not a good situation, and this brings to light as to why I felt the car was more responsive turning fast one way, as opposed to the other. Another surprise was that the passenger-side OEM sway bar end link was bent. It wasn’t bent badly, but bent nevertheless. Glad I changed out the whole lot.

All and all, a straightforward install that was actually enjoyable to do in the garage on jack-stands. More to follow on how it drives once I can get out and about. Have a good one,

- Mike
Where do you live? Quite a lot of corrosion in your car

OP
OP
Roadway 5.0

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Three winters in Bavaria, Germany. One winter in upstate New York. Daily driven car, even in inches of snow :beer:

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
Mike, Thank you for your detailed install info.

Steeda Tech

Sponsored

OP
OP
Roadway 5.0

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
This bar was well worth the time and coin. The steering is much more accurate, the nose stays flat, left/right steering effort/feedback is now symmetrical, and the steering wheel snaps back to center where it would previously linger about 1/2” off center.

I blasted a series of 45 to 90 degree turns, with my winter tires no less, and front grip for sure increased. The steering is a touch heavier in mid-turn, and is deliciously precise. No degradation of ride quality.

In the end, I came to three conclusions:

1) Replace the PP bar if you lower your car or just want better handling.

2) Adjustable end links are a worthy upgrade as they give options for mounting and are stronger than the OEM pieces

3) It absolutely surprises me just how light and precise this car can become with a big front bar along with my other suspension mods. My buddy’s GTi feels like a soupy, heavy mess in comparison. The S550 is a hell of a value.

Have a good one,

— Mike

Last edited:

ModularKid21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Well put Roadway. Compared to stock, the car feels like a laser guided missile with the right tires. No doubt, there are better handling cars in the realm of performance vehicles, but I believe the s550 is second to none in the value category.

Apologies in case I missed it, but I see you set it on the 2nd stiffest setting. Any plans to change it in the future?

OP
OP
Roadway 5.0

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Apologies in case I missed it, but I see you set it on the 2nd stiffest setting. Any plans to change it in the future?
One step away from full stiff feels pretty good when matched to my big Steeda rear bar set at full soft. I might make a change or two after more seat time, especially after I mount my stout summer tires on. We shall see. The benefits of adjustability :beer:

ModularKid21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 GT
Vehicle Showcase
One step away from full stiff feels pretty good when matched to my big Steeda rear bar set at full soft. I might make a change or two after more seat time, especially after I mount my stout summer tires on. We shall see. The benefits of adjustability :beer:
For sure. Funny you say that as I have Steeda’s rear bar as well, but set on the middle setting. I’d been wanting to move it back to full soft thinking it would provide a tad more rear grip. And to think, some people say front and rear bars are overkill

Sponsored

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
Nice writeup. I have the same bars on my EB.
just be sure to use a boatload of lube on those poly bushings.
I had to re lube mine twice after developing a very embarrassing squeak on the inner barrels of the bushings.

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
Plus.

It looks nice. Lol when my cars on ramps and I see all the blue springs, shocks, and sways. makes me feel giddy
Ya know, I thought I was the only one who thought this but was sorta kinda afraid to admit it. I wish ALL Steeda's parts were "Steeda blue" , but then I'd probably just lay under my car and smile my *ss off at all the blue there is. Oh, did I type that out loud? . . . .

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
Ya know, I thought I was the only one who thought this but was sorta kinda afraid to admit it. I wish ALL Steeda's parts were "Steeda blue" , but then I'd probably just lay under my car and smile my *ss off at all the blue there is. Oh, did I type that out loud? . . . .
blue and yellow is even better

49110993933_66c4b72c42.jpg
20191123_125256 by chefjpd, on Flickr

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
One step away from full stiff feels pretty good when matched to my big Steeda rear bar set at full soft.
if you still have the PP1 rear bar Steeda recommends running the front at full soft as well.