Sponsored

2015 Ecoboost suspension build and problems.

OP
OP

Ryanjhardy90

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
I drive my car daily so track only is a no no but I'd like to get as close as possible. If this makes sense, and I'm about due to replace the brakes!

I have been chatting with Brian! So I think I'm in good hands.
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
all things that I had read lately the Mustang needs like 450-550 lbs front spring to turn as it should
I have 220-350 dual-rate on a GT no less, and strongly disagree unless it's purely a track car (and even then)? You want some/enough weight transfer to load up the tires. If you have the money, ~$2000-3500 go with Bilstein B16 (I would look into getting different springs), MCS, Ohlins, or RideTech coil-overs and don't dilly about with legacy suspension. If you're in the $5000 bracket then also Cortex/JRI would be on my short list. If QA1 ever gets around to releasing their solution it's probably worth a look.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I have 220-350 dual-rate on a GT no less, and strongly disagree unless it's purely a track car (and even then)? You want some/enough weight transfer to load up the tires. If you have the money, ~$2000-3500 go with Bilstein B16 (I would look into getting different springs), MCS, Ohlins, or RideTech coil-overs and don't dilly about with legacy suspension. If you're in the $5000 bracket then also Cortex/JRI would be on my short list. If QA1 ever gets around to releasing their solution it's probably worth a look.
I plan to go with Ohlins as the Vorshlag car was really competative with them and the car was still drivable on the street because of the DFV technology for me this looks like the best bang for buck and easy to source in europe as well.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The overly soft rear relative to the front will only work well on track with a stiffer rear bar. That will limit overall grip potential vs stiffer springs and softer bar. On the road, it will force the dampers to combat the pitching oscillation tendency of the sprung mass from the ride frequency imbalance. 500# fronts work really well on a track car. You just need a matching rears, also.
Did you see the Vorshlag video with the standard rates:

For me the car looks ok. Ether way in case needed you could always buy other rear springs for the ohlins like 1200 or something like that.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, and he was also using a Whiteline adjustable bar that allowed for decent corner balance. Terry is also a very quick driver. Just because it was good doesnt mean it can't be better. The spring rates he uses for MCS coilovers (his go-to) have much stiffer rear wheel rates with similar front.
Thing is that for Out of the box package it looks good enough also I think was just a few tents away from the MCS with the higher spring rates. His go to rates are I think 600 front 1200 rear. But as I said one of the reasons to go with coilovers is that springs are replaceable and there is tons of options for the Ohlins rear springs.

Sponsored

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
yes but you do realize the Ohlins is a divorced rear...
I do and this is actually better setup I think because it's like stock which mean less problems like broken halfshafts etc. But Ohlins still use coilover springs in the back just on the stock location from what I understand.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
But Ohlins still use coilover springs in the back
2.5" dia and 8" or so long? In which case yes there are a slew of possibilities. But ~1200lb/in is the limit I think.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
2.5" dia and 8" or so long? In which case yes there are a slew of possibilities. But ~1200lb/in is the limit I think.
Yeah I think 1200 lb/in is the limit but It should be good enough not sure how long they are I think they are 6" but not 100% sure. Ether way for me it sounds like the best option in that price range for single adjustable coilovers.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Say what?

There are a lot of good things about a true coilover rear. Better ride quality at the same same wheel rate, lighter, and wayyyyy more spring tuning options.
Vorshlag had such a problem on the development car where the spring of the Coilovers was touching the half shaft and they needed to replace it. Which is obviously not great. Also the strut mounts are aluminium and not exactly designed to handle the additional load from the springs on that location which is why the rear is divorced spring.
Sponsored