Ford Performance Tune for 2018+ GT

spaz mk will

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
@Champracerj I forgot about the hood gap until I was done, so no before picture. But I can definitely see a small difference now between the right and left side, only noticeable if you know to look. I did need to drop the hood from a little higher to get it shut properly.
Sponsored

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Agreed, I had to readjust a few times to get that lined up properly. I also took off the radiator cover to get some extra space for my hands.

I started with the intake attached to the throttle body which was the only way I could get it on alone. Could install CAI first then bend and hold with another set of hands.
That's actually what I did. I wanted that sucker lined up just right so I did that first and then pushed the intake over the throttle body while my girlfriend tightened the clamp. Hopefully a few heat cycles helps but there was definitely some odd fitment with the kit.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Got mine installed at the dealer yesterday. I think they did a pretty neat job. Initial butt dyno readings are noting more pep in second from around 2k to 3k, normal and Sport+ both. Haven't had an opportunity to really get on it yet though.

Some odd notes: stock clutch feels more precise (I know.. lol) - maybe it's the throttle remapping that's messing with my mind. Also could almost swear I hear the diff clicking when leaving a stoplight - something I have not noted before. *shrug*

Feels good regardless, would do it again for the looks alone :-)

I have the Cervini grille, upper and lower. Intake vs ambient temps have usually been +5 to +7 degrees - now I'm seeing more +10 degrees when going slow in traffic... 91 to 101 for example . At speed, there seems to be no difference to previous.

IMG_20200508_155721_MP.jpg
Akitteh can I ask you how much a dealer charged? Thanks

505bbjason

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue GT, PP1, A10, 301A 1968 El Camino
Anyone having pinging issues with theirs?

wade001

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wade
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Prem. 10r80, PP1, 401A, Active Exhaust
Anyone having pinging issues with theirs?
you're using 91+ octane right? thats required for this tune/package.

maybe the last time you filled up, the gas station had some bad gas? is it the usual station you use? top tier gas?

Sponsored

505bbjason

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue GT, PP1, A10, 301A 1968 El Camino
you're using 91+ octane right? thats required for this tune/package.

maybe the last time you filled up, the gas station had some bad gas? is it the usual station you use? top tier gas?
I’ve been using 92 (PNW), and have tried a couple stations. One of them being brand new. Both top tier, both ones I have used frequently.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Just got back from about an hour and a half drive so I'll give my thoughts. The drive consisted up mostly smooth and easy driving for the first 30, then a couple of second gear pulls, and finally a sprint on the expressway.

To start, I'm going to have to give myself a nice big pat on the back for sealing. My IATs were 3-4 degrees above ambient when driving (60 out, ran at 63/64) and I never saw them climb higher than 69 at a stoplight. I also don't hear an intake "whistle" and that surprises me. I've had open CAIs on older cars so I'm well aware what the whistle is.

I'm very happy with the overall feel. It's mannerisms are basically how it was when stock and I consider this a very good thing. There's a definite power increase but it may not be what some are hoping.

I'll try to explain this the best I can without getting technical. The stock tune has a weird... delay, and then it kicks at around 4k rpms. I usually always drive with advanced traction control off and, on stock tune, my rear wheels always break loose at this 4k power spike. It's so consistent that my right foot has muscle memory of when to back off of the gas pedal to regain control. This FP tune has a much more flat torque curve so that perceived burst of speed isn't felt because you have it from a dig. I had to retrain my foot's muscle memory (back off of gas to regain grip then punch it) because the tires weren't breaking loose at that mark. The car is actually easier to control now. Well, in a straight line; it whipped me into shape pretty good when I gave it some love around a turn. It's definitely an improvement. I'd say this is perfect for anyone who mostly daily drives their car and is looking for a bit more without much hassle.

I'm very happy with it. It's not a game changer at all but the engine just feels so much more healthy. I also didn't have any pinging issues. This is on a fresh tank of top tier 93 that has about 5-10% corn. It's some good sh*t by me.

squid678

Squid678
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT 350, 2020 Explorer ST, 2018 F-150 XLT
Vehicle Showcase
Took my time with the install. Lining up the snorkel was a challenge, but I was able to reach my hand in there and line it up. Wrestling the intake on the throttle body was a PITA, but I was able to get it pretty close putting my body weight into it as I was ratcheting down on the hose clamp.
I did not have any issues with my JLT driver and passenger side oil catch cans, which is great news.
Saving the stock tune took some time, so I wiped down the car as I waited. Fortunately the upload of the new tune took significantly less time.
As for the driving experience, it will definitely put a smile on your face. I have a 6 speed, and I cannot describe how aggressively she pulls now just in normal mode. When I put it into sport mode, it definitely put a smile on my face! I have a PP2, and I couldn’t believe the grip and new found power on the Sport Cup 2 tires exploding out of corners!
I did not really pay attention to AITs on this 1st run.
My hood closed with no issue and maintained the gaps that I had prior.
All I can say is that it was definitely worth the wait and I am extremely satisfied! Just really impressed with the way this car pulls down low screaming to redline and slamming into the next gear. Enjoy everyone!!

charliechupacabra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
Got my mine up and running but I am using the original air filter housing and plumbing. Probably going to keep it this way since the car runs really strong.

Shifting is quite a bit different in "D" now, shifting a higher rpm, down shifting much quicker and overall the trans is much improved in "D". Almost like a semi-sport mode now.

I am trying to feel the down low torque and haven't honestly felt a noticeable difference, just a slight seat of the pants increase. However, I did wind mine out to red line a few times and my car feels stronger on the top and seems to pull just a tad better. I think this is where the 87mm throttle body and software change makes a difference.

Bottom line is the trans re-program for me, which is a very welcome change.

Mind posting some pics of how you used the OE box?

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
So for those on the fence about buying this let me give you an Honest review. First a little info. Myself and My buddy have 19 gt premiums and we always bounce all changes either of us do off each other as a test. We both have the autos. The only main difference is he has pp1 and I do not. He runs 305/35R19s in a sq setup and I run 285/35r19s and 265/35 R19s in a staggered. Other then that our cars are equal. We went to the truck stop certified scales (because we both have taken stuff off added stuff cosmetic I have subwoofers blah blah... so we wanted to know what ground we stood on. I weighed in at 3840 and he was 3790. He is 50 pounds lighter on the car. he weighs 165 I weigh 250 so there is another 85 lbs. So with driver IM in total 135 lbs heavier than him. 10 lbs per hp and im negative 13.5 hp. So we figure the 19 gain in hp at 6500 rom is not a factor as it is canceled out more or less. so all things considered (I know there are other details involved but) we are on equal footing him not having tune and me having it as far as weight and hp. So we go find a nice long abandoned stretch of road and I wont bore you with the details as we are ridiculous and do everything from 2k 20 mile pulls to 3k to 4k than 30 mph then 40 mph than 50 mph LOL. yeah we get bored and spend lots time doing this stuff. Long story short at speed and above about 3k rpm you are not really gonna feel any difference we basically stayed side by side every time. I had no clear advantage. IN this case is the tune and kit worth it? I would say no if you are after any noticeable at speed difference. BUt...

Take off and back roads. Now This is where you will actually feel a difference. The car does not nessiararially take off faster or harder but the sluggishness of 1st and 2nd are improved and the car will now keep you a tab bit more pinned back through the shifts. With the auto trans the shift tables are now smoother its not as clunky (one of the main reasons I bought this) and the lower gears and rpms have a pep now. The exhaust note has changed , the Mustang has so any combos of exhaust that each person's will be different but for me i now have a noticeable bassier tone and its smoother sounding. I have factory active with a borla switchfire mid. My temps seen lower but is hard to tell since i was one of the many who did not get the inlet tube with my kit. so when im idle im sucking in hot engine air. Gotta get ford to send me that part. I would have to say this kit is for anything below 3500 rpm after that its not really anything noticable and in a side by side with a car without it and at speed there is next to no difference in the cars. My buddy was excited for this kit and was gonna get it, but after our day of side by side he said he changed his mind as there really isnt that much of a difference. But is gonna hold final judgement till we can get back to the drag strip when they reopen. so I guess its still a maybe? LOL

At the end of the day I personally got the kit for e the smoother shift tables and the ability to put the 4.09 gear in, that was my main purpose. At the end of the day would I buy it again for the gains and torque alone. No not at the price its at considering the parts are all from older kits and can be bought without the tune for about 600 bucks. You are basically paying 600 for parts and 600 for a tune retail ( there are deals and coupons if you look). Then another 450(i think is about the average from dealers) to have it installed if you dont do it yourself. And to be honest for what is about 1600 bucks roughly this is really not worth it.

If you want smoother shifts from your auto and or like me you want to put the 4.09 gear in ( im not sure if other tunes allow this) then yes if you got the cash its a good little kit. If you want to feel a little and I mean little something extra at low rpm and on back roads then again if you got the cash its a good kit. If you expect something amazing or anything above 3k rpm and at speed then well you will be disappointed. At the end of the day when I ran side by side with a like car the difference was basically unnoticeable. BUt if you want to make the car feel as though you gave it a redbull and smooth it out and make if feel a bit more awake then this kit will not disappoint.

But at the end of the day unless you just want the warranty and a little more spirited back road driving the money is most likely best spent elsewhere.

These are my opinions and mine alone :) I try to make honest feedback and not based on justifying a purchese with a buttdyno LOL. Make your own choices buy what makes you happy but I figure I would share my thoughts. Once the drag strip opens back up if this topic is still going Ill post back with what we do side by side at strip and times :)

Sponsored

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
charliechupacabra,

I'll try to take some pics and post.

cahouston

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
So for those on the fence about buying this let me give you an Honest review. First a little info. Myself and My buddy have 19 gt premiums and we always bounce all changes either of us do off each other as a test. We both have the autos. The only main difference is he has pp1 and I do not. He runs 305/35R19s in a sq setup and I run 285/35r19s and 265/35 R19s in a staggered. Other then that our cars are equal. We went to the truck stop certified scales (because we both have taken stuff off added stuff cosmetic I have subwoofers blah blah... so we wanted to know what ground we stood on. I weighed in at 3840 and he was 3790. He is 50 pounds lighter on the car. he weighs 165 I weigh 250 so there is another 85 lbs. So with driver IM in total 135 lbs heavier than him. 10 lbs per hp and im negative 13.5 hp. So we figure the 19 gain in hp at 6500 rom is not a factor as it is canceled out more or less. so all things considered (I know there are other details involved but) we are on equal footing him not having tune and me having it as far as weight and hp. So we go find a nice long abandoned stretch of road and I wont bore you with the details as we are ridiculous and do everything from 2k 20 mile pulls to 3k to 4k than 30 mph then 40 mph than 50 mph LOL. yeah we get bored and spend lots time doing this stuff. Long story short at speed and above about 3k rpm you are not really gonna feel any difference we basically stayed side by side every time. I had no clear advantage. IN this case is the tune and kit worth it? I would say no if you are after any noticeable at speed difference. BUt...

Take off and back roads. Now This is where you will actually feel a difference. The car does not nessiararially take off faster or harder but the sluggishness of 1st and 2nd are improved and the car will now keep you a tab bit more pinned back through the shifts. With the auto trans the shift tables are now smoother its not as clunky (one of the main reasons I bought this) and the lower gears and rpms have a pep now. The exhaust note has changed , the Mustang has so any combos of exhaust that each person's will be different but for me i now have a noticeable bassier tone and its smoother sounding. I have factory active with a borla switchfire mid. My temps seen lower but is hard to tell since i was one of the many who did not get the inlet tube with my kit. so when im idle im sucking in hot engine air. Gotta get ford to send me that part. I would have to say this kit is for anything below 3500 rpm after that its not really anything noticable and in a side by side with a car without it and at speed there is next to no difference in the cars. My buddy was excited for this kit and was gonna get it, but after our day of side by side he said he changed his mind as there really isnt that much of a difference. But is gonna hold final judgement till we can get back to the drag strip when they reopen. so I guess its still a maybe? LOL

At the end of the day I personally got the kit for e the smoother shift tables and the ability to put the 4.09 gear in, that was my main purpose. At the end of the day would I buy it again for the gains and torque alone. No not at the price its at considering the parts are all from older kits and can be bought without the tune for about 600 bucks. You are basically paying 600 for parts and 600 for a tune retail ( there are deals and coupons if you look). Then another 450(i think is about the average from dealers) to have it installed if you dont do it yourself. And to be honest for what is about 1600 bucks roughly this is really not worth it.

If you want smoother shifts from your auto and or like me you want to put the 4.09 gear in ( im not sure if other tunes allow this) then yes if you got the cash its a good little kit. If you want to feel a little and I mean little something extra at low rpm and on back roads then again if you got the cash its a good kit. If you expect something amazing or anything above 3k rpm and at speed then well you will be disappointed. At the end of the day when I ran side by side with a like car the difference was basically unnoticeable. BUt if you want to make the car feel as though you gave it a redbull and smooth it out and make if feel a bit more awake then this kit will not disappoint.

But at the end of the day unless you just want the warranty and a little more spirited back road driving the money is most likely best spent elsewhere.

These are my opinions and mine alone :) I try to make honest feedback and not based on justifying a purchese with a buttdyno LOL. Make your own choices buy what makes you happy but I figure I would share my thoughts. Once the drag strip opens back up if this topic is still going Ill post back with what we do side by side at strip and times :)
That you for the detailed testing and write-up. Had you and your friend performed those same tests before you installed the power pack all else being the same? If so, were you even then too or was he pulling on you due to the weight difference?

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
That you for the detailed testing and write-up. Had you and your friend performed those same tests before you installed the power pack all else being the same? If so, were you even then too or was he pulling on you due to the weight difference?
Oh yeah I forgot to add that part. Before we were fairly even he could pull away a little but not alot . but hes lighter and hes got different tires which does give him a tad bit advantage. We took off from a light once and i was in front and he mentioned that before I would get the jump but he could slowly pul me back in but now he was trying harder. but at the end of the day its a difference, a slight one, but not really a difference worth the money in my honest opinion. This is something Ford should offer as a option on the window sticker and at a more reasonable price. As for a aftermarket performance part.... eh its not that much performance as it is a little wake up for the low rpms. I sorta feel in hindsight this is really just a money grab to clear out old gt350 parts they're not gonna use anymore since they aint gonna make any more 350s. IM glad I have the use of the trans tables and my main reason for buying it was the 4.09 gear. If not for that I would have been very disappointed in the gain for the money spent.

Dont get me wrong there is a gain, very slight, but this kit needs to be 700 installed not what it costs. as is its disappointing for the price point. At least to me.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Oh yeah I forgot to add that part. Before we were fairly even he could pull away a little but not alot . but hes lighter and hes got different tires which does give him a tad bit advantage. We took off from a light once and i was in front and he mentioned that before I would get the jump but he could slowly pul me back in but now he was trying harder. but at the end of the day its a difference, a slight one, but not really a difference worth the money in my honest opinion. This is something Ford should offer as a option on the window sticker and at a more reasonable price. As for a aftermarket performance part.... eh its not that much performance as it is a little wake up for the low rpms. I sorta feel in hindsight this is really just a money grab to clear out old gt350 parts they're not gonna use anymore since they aint gonna make any more 350s. IM glad I have the use of the trans tables and my main reason for buying it was the 4.09 gear. If not for that I would have been very disappointed in the gain for the money spent.

Dont get me wrong there is a gain, very slight, but this kit needs to be 700 installed not what it costs. as is its disappointing for the price point. At least to me.
I don't think there's much debate that it's probably over priced but how much depends on a couple of things. The procal is definitely wrapped into the price and having the ability to do everything it does is really convenient (crank relearn, KAM reset, dtc codes, data logging). If someone uses it to upload the tune then be done with it then it's wasted money.

I think the biggest sink will be the install. It's absolutely not worth 1600. 1008 OTD and a couple hours of my time, however, is much easier to swallow.

But ya, I mirrored what you said in mine. It's nice and makes the engine feel healthier but it's definitely not needed nor is it game changing. I wouldn't say get it if you're going to be hurting to do so.

Although I have a feeling the a10 users benefit far less than the m6 users here. Due to the a10's nature, you're not spending much time down low. M6 drivers will be spending a fair bit more time down low and where the power gains are the biggest. For us, it's going to make much more of a difference. I'd be curious to see how an m6 with the power pack fairs against an a10.

Reactions: kz

Cobrakit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PREMIUM PP1
A couple comments. First of all i would not pay anyone to install this kit. If you add all those cost then its not worth it. The kit would be better priced at $700 which is the current price of the equivalent 15-17 kit. I have an pp1/a10 and this kit woke the car up downlow. I normally run in Track mode. Since the install, i have only run normal mode. I swear it acceletates and down shifts like track mode. In fact i went to pass someone, and normally i would paddle shift down to 8th and give it a little gas. With this tune, again in normal, it downshift to 8th by itself with little gas. Now that its starting to get warmer (tires) i can't wait to move up to track mode and do some agressive accel and curvees. For a daily driver with no plans to modify the engine more, this kit is a good option.
Sponsored