Sponsored

2017 Shelby GT350 - rear end/ driveline vibrations - suggestions?

Hiland

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
I am the original owner, car has 8,500mls, no tracking, no mods.
From the moment the car was broken in I had some light rear end vibrations at 80+mls/hr, i think right rear. Unlike wheel imbalance issues these vibrations feel like a high speed drill and becoming a hum at 100mls/hr and up. Dealer checked this out, balanced wheels, nothing.
Since I dont drive 80mls/hr and up a lot, its my weekend toy, i don't notice it a lot but of course when I rip it up briefly it gets anoying.
Long story short I kept procrastinating until yesterday when I had to go in for an oil service.
Dealer put the car on their lift today, checked out the driveline at max 120mls/hr and they did confirm the vibration I was talking about at an unusual level, more then tolerated. The problem is that after checking everything they couldn't find anything faulty.
My options are leave it alone, not an option, or they will call a ford engineer to check it out which can take a while.
I have owned several M3's, and AMG C63, several Audi's and a 911 and never experienced something like this, it is unacceptable for a car made for speed.
It's less refined than the German's and that's fine, I can deal with the rattling shifter and noisy valves when the engine is cold, its the nature of the beast, but it should be free of vibrations at high speed cruising.
Has anybody else experienced something similar?
Any suggestions you may have would be greatly appreciated.
I really love the car, it's the most fun car I have ever owned.

Thank you.
Erik
Sponsored

Lilmags500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jody
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach 1 19 F350 20 Fusion Ti 19 Escape Ti
I am the original owner, car has 8,500mls, no tracking, no mods.
From the moment the car was broken in I had some light rear end vibrations at 80+mls/hr, i think right rear. Unlike wheel imbalance issues these vibrations feel like a high speed drill and becoming a hum at 100mls/hr and up. Dealer checked this out, balanced wheels, nothing.
Since I dont drive 80mls/hr and up a lot, its my weekend toy, i don't notice it a lot but of course when I rip it up briefly it gets anoying.
Long story short I kept procrastinating until yesterday when I had to go in for an oil service.
Dealer put the car on their lift today, checked out the driveline at max 120mls/hr and they did confirm the vibration I was talking about at an unusual level, more then tolerated. The problem is that after checking everything they couldn't find anything faulty.
My options are leave it alone, not an option, or they will call a ford engineer to check it out which can take a while.
I have owned several M3's, and AMG C63, several Audi's and a 911 and never experienced something like this, it is unacceptable for a car made for speed.
It's less refined than the German's and that's fine, I can deal with the rattling shifter and noisy valves when the engine is cold, its the nature of the beast, but it should be free of vibrations at high speed cruising.
Has anybody else experienced something similar?
Any suggestions you may have would be greatly appreciated.
I really love the car, it's the most fun car I have ever owned.

Thank you.
Erik
There is a TSB for drive line vibration in the GT350's , Give me a minute looking now .....

Lilmags500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jody
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach 1 19 F350 20 Fusion Ti 19 Escape Ti
There is a TSB for drive line vibration in the GT350's , Give me a minute looking now .....
SSM 45938 - 2015-2017 Mustang Driveline Vibration At Highway Speeds
Some 2015-2017 Mustang vehicles may experience a driveline vibration directly related to a vehicle speed of 70-100Kmh (50-70Mph) and is perceived as a tremor in the floor pan, seat track, or steering wheel and may be heard as a rumble, hum, or boom. Before replacement of any parts be sure to verify the concern with a road test and visually inspect the driveshaft for damage, undercoating, incorrectly seated universal joints, rotate the driveshaft by hand to feel for any binding or end play in the universal joints. If no concern is found check and correctany tire balance issues using Loaded Hunter Road Force® Method. If a concern isstill present balance the driveshaft using the Mastertech® Series MTS 4000 Driveline Balance and NVH Analyzer. Refer to Workshop Manual Sections 100-04,200-04Aand 205-01. Use labor operation 1007D and any appropriate combinations.

Your dealer should have been aware of this , I found it in less then a minute ..... Its not a wheel issue .

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
I don’t think dealers read them very much.

OP
OP

Hiland

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
SSM 45938 - 2015-2017 Mustang Driveline Vibration At Highway Speeds
Some 2015-2017 Mustang vehicles may experience a driveline vibration directly related to a vehicle speed of 70-100Kmh (50-70Mph) and is perceived as a tremor in the floor pan, seat track, or steering wheel and may be heard as a rumble, hum, or boom. Before replacement of any parts be sure to verify the concern with a road test and visually inspect the driveshaft for damage, undercoating, incorrectly seated universal joints, rotate the driveshaft by hand to feel for any binding or end play in the universal joints. If no concern is found check and correctany tire balance issues using Loaded Hunter Road Force® Method. If a concern isstill present balance the driveshaft using the Mastertech® Series MTS 4000 Driveline Balance and NVH Analyzer. Refer to Workshop Manual Sections 100-04,200-04Aand 205-01. Use labor operation 1007D and any appropriate combinations.

Your dealer should have been aware of this , I found it in less then a minute ..... Its not a wheel issue .
Thanks for the heads up on this TSB.
I don't think it's the wheels. I am waiting for a return call from the dealer to verify with them what was done.
Dealer said yesterday they went over everything under the car and they keep saying that they cannot copy my findings because they are not allowed to take the car over 60mls/hr. This last point I find particularly disturbing, they are not allowed to drive the car in excess of 60mls/hr so the ball stops there? WTH? Of course I am not keen to have just any technician get behind the wheel of my car and rip it up to 120+mls/hr but there has to be a way and I certainly don't make this up.
I passed on your tsb to the dealer and they are going to call me back Monday.

Sponsored

DIB2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 H.E GT350; 1968 Ford Bronco Sport
Tell them you want the lead tech to do a ride along with you. Take the car to the vibration point so they can feel it.

OP
OP

Hiland

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Tell them you want the lead tech to do a ride along with you. Take the car to the vibration point so they can feel it.
Good idea, will do.

Shelby gt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shelby gt350
Vehicle(s)
Shelby gt350 2016
Hi dear I have the same problem with the shelby gt350 With speeds of 60/90/120 Has a problem been solved? Tell me what the problem is

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
There was an inherent issue with driveline vibes across the entire S550 platform that affected a variety of 2015-2017's. There is a huge driveline vibration thread in the "Issues" sub forum (see below link) with the pdf of the original TSB, the TSB that superseded it and many DIY fixes to remedy vibration issue.

My prior 2016 S550 ended up being Lemon'd and was a Ford Buy Back due to the issue. That car had multiple "road force balances" (when I told them it was not the tires) and original driveshaft rotated (and was sent out to be rebalanced - even though Ford says not to do that). Then it had the driveshaft replaced 3x, the front trans flange replaced 1x, the rear pinion flange replaced 1x and finally a complete rear rebuild - only to have the problem resurface after the entire rear was rebuilt. That's when it was enough for me.

The vibes were so intense after 58-60mph that it sounded like a constant airplane propeller and it could be felt in the trans tunnel, doors, seat, pedals and steering wheel. The vibes came on at about 44-45mph and increased from there - once getting up to 70-80mph, the vibe was not as intense, BUT was still present.

The car was even looked at by (2) Ford FSE's and from the multiple times it was in the shop for the vibe, the Service Center had contact with Ford's Engineering Team. The Dealsrship Service Writer even drove the car for over 100 miles himself and also agreed the issue was still present after the repairs. They even hooked up the special NVH monitor where the "ears" had to be installed under the car and confirmed (multiple times) the NVH was beyond acceptable - like way

I even spent $1,300 out of my own pocket for brand new tires - this way the stupid Service Center would stop with the road force balance BS.... nope, not the tires and I already knew that....

I bought the 2016 new in Dec 2015, dealt with that vibe issue for nearly a year where at some periods, the car was at the Service Center for weeks, a month here and there and at most 2 consecutive months... let alone all the intervals in between for other minor warranty work. Hell, I drove every single Ford product as a loaner during all of its down time - in one instance racked up over 4K miles on a brand new Explorer... Sept 2017 it was finally approved for a Buy Back and Mar 2018 I took delivery of my 2018 S500.

Who knows WTF the issue was, as it was never resolved under my ownership and that 2016 has a forever RAV Lemon history with it.

For what it's worth, check out this thread - it’s huge, BUT it has a lot of driveline vibe tech in it with Ford TSB’s, Ford shop manual aids and some M6G members getting resolution from the DIY tech within:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/vibration-between-50-70-mph.15990/
Sponsored

Last edited: