Sponsored

Bored; Am I the only one annoyed by this?

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
We all see others posts on various different sites including this one.
Every day I see someone say something like "my fender needed fix"
Or "my tires need changed".
Does anyone else find the above annoying to see?
Sponsored

OP
OP
IPOGT

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What would be wrong with saying "My beer glass needs TO BE filled"?.:question:
But yes, it probably does.

Rover

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scotty
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT , Porsche Boxster S, BMW X5d, FORD Transit Diesel, 2500 Ram Diesel, Mazda CX5
Vehicle Showcase
We all see others posts on various different sites including this one.
Every day I see someone say something like "my fender needed fix"
Or "my tires need changed".
Does anyone else find the above annoying to see?

Please - Don't get me started on this. I hate garbage verbage.
Or wait - that's verbiage. Simple malapropism also known as dogberryism by some.
It's the use of an incorrect word in place of a word that sounds like the incorrect word used.
My favorite is Southerners saying their Car want start. To which I say Let it. They're like, you don't understand I try and I try but my car want start. :facepalm: Oh yeah ~ I get it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
IPOGT

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Please - Don't get me started on this. I hate garbage verbage.
Or wait - that's verbiage. Simple malapropism also known as dogberryism by some.
It's the use of an incorrect word in place of a word that sounds like the incorrect word used.
My favorite is Southerners saying their Car want start. To which I say Let it. They're like, you don't understand I try and I try but my car want start. :facepalm: Oh yeah ~ I get it.
Sometimes it's actually funny. I was at a pool one day and I overheard someone referring to seeing someone "dancing the flamingo".I thought that was hysterical.

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 1999 Ranger
What would be wrong with saying "My beer glass needs TO BE filled"?.:question:
But yes, it probably does.
You're right, my beer glass needs filled is so much better. And as soon as I get back froma quick trip to Mexico, for essential items to fill said glass, I fill 'er up!

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
I'm just a high school ger-adge-eee-yate so I am not as smart as your average college puke or so they would think:wink:. That said it annoys the heck out of me that people cannot comprehend the simple usage of the words there, their, and they're or when every first sentence is started with Well..... or So.....

I am not bothered so much by it here or in other forums as I am when I see it in the world of journalism. Those so called professionals supposedly learned sentence structure and grammar in high school and then perfected it through college. Yet they often write and/or speak as illiterate as a 12 year old. They use words like irregardless or boughten......both of which are not accepted words in the speech. What is the difference between REGARDLESS or the stupid over stated word IRREGARDLESS? And BOUGHTEN? Really? Used in a sentence, "It's store boughten" rather than "It's store bought". THERE IS NO SUCH WORD AS BOUGHTEN!

Last but not least USE verses UTILIZE. People try to sound over intelligent by using utilize in place of use. If a product is performing its work as designed it is BEING USED. E.G. "I used the spatula to flip the hamburger". On the other hand if I reassign something to be used in a manner it was not designed though it works well in that way it is being UTILIZED. E.G. I utilized the spatula to scratch my itchy back."

I see things like this all the time in articles written by "accomplished journalist scholars". Seriously? They went to 4 more years of college to make grammar, and sentence structure, mistakes that an average high school grad can pick up on? Sounds to me like either college has gotten so easy I could get a degree, or college grads think they can overly rely on computers to catch all their mistakes today.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Yes. Also, misuse of your/you’re brother me excessively. First world issues, you know?

But I have to agree. I read way too many published articles, news stories, blogs, etc that are “professional” that have some pretty glaring grammatical errors. If you’re in the biz of writing/publishing/journalism your grammar game should be strong.

OP
OP
IPOGT

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm just a high school ger-adge-eee-yate so I am not as smart as your average college puke or so they would think:wink:. That said it annoys the heck out of me that people cannot comprehend the simple usage of the words there, their, and they're or when every first sentence is started with Well..... or So.....

I am not bothered so much by it here or in other forums as I am when I see it in the world of journalism. Those so called professionals supposedly learned sentence structure and grammar in high school and then perfected it through college. Yet they often write and/or speak as illiterate as a 12 year old. They use words like irregardless or boughten......both of which are not accepted words in the speech. What is the difference between REGARDLESS or the stupid over stated word IRREGARDLESS? And BOUGHTEN? Really? Used in a sentence, "It's store boughten" rather than "It's store bought". THERE IS NO SUCH WORD AS BOUGHTEN!

Last but not least USE verses UTILIZE. People try to sound over intelligent by using utilize in place of use. If a product is performing its work as designed it is BEING USED. E.G. "I used the spatula to flip the hamburger". On the other hand if I reassign something to be used in a manner it was not designed though it works well in that way it is being UTILIZED. E.G. I utilized the spatula to scratch my itchy back."

I see things like this all the time in articles written by "accomplished journalist scholars". Seriously? They went to 4 more years of college to make grammar, and sentence structure, mistakes that an average high school grad can pick up on? Sounds to me like either college has gotten so easy I could get a degree, or college grads think they can overly rely on computers to catch all their mistakes today.
Exactly. I'm not a grammatical expert, and I've been rightfully called out for mistakes.
"Needs cleaned" isn't even close.
When someone says something that doesn't even sound right, why would someone write it?
I see a lot of journalists making all types of proofreading errors. I believe they are just using speech to text programs that aren't quite there yet technically. No excuse for not correcting the obvious stuff though with a read through.

Sponsored

compprep

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
19 GT PP1,1986 SVO, 2020 Ridgeline(SOLD!)
The one that bothers me is breaks when they mean brakes!!! How can a car person NOT know the difference?

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
ect rather than ETC. ETC is the abbreviation for etcetera.

Personally I refuse to refer to the power generating machine under the hood as a "MOTOR". It's an ENGINE. Motors are in Teslas and on furnaces, power lifts, conveyors, CNC machining centers, CNC Lasers, belt driven turntables, 8 track tape players, exhaust fans......they have windings in them.
An engine is under the hood of an automobile. I don't give a damn what the British call it....its a fricking engine. LOL!

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
How about radio or stereo?

TC :crackup:

OP
OP
IPOGT

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ect rather than ETC. ETC is the abbreviation for etcetera.

Personally I refuse to refer to the power generating machine under the hood as a "MOTOR". It's an ENGINE. Motors are in Teslas and on furnaces, power lifts, conveyors, CNC machining centers, CNC Lasers, belt driven turntables, 8 track tape players, exhaust fans......they have windings in them.
An engine is under the hood of an automobile. I don't give a damn what the British call it....its a fricking engine. LOL!
I always refer to an electric motor or a combustion engine.
Sponsored