Sponsored

2021 Mach 1 Mustang Prototype Spied on The Prowl?!

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Is the Mach 1 gonna have electric motors driving the front wheels? if so, I'm in.
The Mach 1 will be a v8
The two things are not mutually exclusive, but at this point I’d say this is low probability. Such a vehicle would outperform GT500 in some key measures (0-60, braking distance) and would just add additional expense. Ford is not gonna go there (PP2 / GT350). I expect a 5.0L Coyote, maybe Atkinson Cycle operation, paired with a 40 - 50kW electric motor mounted coaxially between the engine and the torque converter. And a 1.3 - 1.8 kWh lithium ion battery located under the rear seats.

EDIT: I may have to notch up the potential for the front axle e-motors based on info @Twin Turbo found in Autocar (a very reputable source in the UK) suggesting exactly that. It references a Ford patent that shows a V8 with provisions for front axles passing through the lower crankcase on the V8. I’ve also seen that patent before but assumed it was for F-150 hybrid. At this point, we’re calling the F-150 Hybrid a 3.5TT, so the only other place that V8 can go is Mustang.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Magneride
The two things are not mutually exclusive, but at this point I’d say this is low probability. Such a vehicle would outperform GT500 in some key measures (0-60, braking distance) and would just add additional expense. Ford is not gonna go there (PP2 / GT350). I expect a 5.0L Coyote, maybe Atkinson Cycle operation, paired with a 40 - 50kW electric motor mounted coaxially between the engine and the torque converter. And a 1.3 - 1.8 kWh lithium ion battery located under the rear seats.

EDIT: I may have to notch up the potential for the front axle e-motors based on info @Twin Turbo found in Autocar (a very reputable source in the UK) suggesting exactly that. It references a Ford patent that shows a V8 with provisions for front axles passing through the lower crankcase on the V8. I’ve also seen that patent before but assumed it was for F-150 hybrid. At this point, we’re calling the F-150 Hybrid a 3.5TT, so the only other place that V8 can go is Mustang.
The mach1 will not in any way shape or form be electric. Quote me in 6 months.

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's a strong possibility that the Mach 1 will be a hybrid V8. This was patented by Ford a while back....
Hybrid diagram.jpg
That technology will be saved for the S650. There’s not a strong possibility at all.

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It could be if they want a low volume mule to try on before going full production for the S650.
Ford is not about to release a Mach1 that is a V8 hybrid electric, which would most likely make it faster than a gt500 or even comparably close. You guys understand Ford already said the S650 will have the electric technology. Ford isn't going to "surprise" people with a new S550 to that extent and in return also ruin their S650 reveal features. You will most likely get a Mach1 with a manual and auto transmission option since the prior Mach1 had those options and that's it. It will be an appearance package and maybe 20-40 more hp than what Is currently offered in a mustang GT. The auto option is what's going to give it, its great times. You figure 490-500hp with the 10R80A you're lookin at something very close with 0-60 times to mid 3's with the right tires. Mark my words nothing more than that. Just an opinion take it for what its worth.

Sponsored

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Ford is not about to release a Mach1 that is a V8 hybrid electric, which would most likely make it faster than a gt500 or even comparably close. You guys understand Ford already said the S650 will have the electric technology. Ford isn't going to "surprise" people with a new S550 to that extent and in return also ruin their S650 reveal features. You will most likely get a Mach1 with a manual and auto transmission option since the prior Mach1 had those options and that's it. It will be an appearance package and maybe 20-40 more hp than what Is currently offered in a mustang GT. The auto option is what's going to give it, its great times. You figure 490-500hp with the 10R80A you're lookin at something very close with 0-60 times to mid 3's with the right tires. Mark my words nothing more than that. Just an opinion take it for what its worth.
I’d love to see the DCT in it but at 20k for that trans it wont happen, price the car too high

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
There is a very wide performance range between GT and GT500. They don't have to make it as fast as a GT500 to make it easily faster than a GT.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase

This my thoughts also the Mach 1 will be an uprated version of the Bullitt with all the Mach 1 visuals and more HP.

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Hasn’t this patent been detailed before on these forums many months ago?

Let’s not forget that companies patent many designs that never come to fruition. The concept behind this patent applies to the tt v6 and the i4 blocks let’s not forget. The V8 element may be somewhat outdated. The new 7.3 big block could receive this tech in trucks where it offers an elegant and efficient 4x4 when needed function.
It appears the motors are mounted at sump level in this pic with the centreline just after the exhaust port of the foremost cylinder. I’m not going to get under my car to check but I would suspect that would put the driveshafts below the wheel centre on an s550. However in a f150 with its higher engine mounts it may well be perfect.

Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Really hoping the Mach 1 is going to be worth it. I've had the itch to upgrade to a 10-speed and one of the newer Mustangs with magneride. Option 2 is boosting my 17 GT. If they do a PP2 level with a power bump, suspension tweaks, and the other Mach 1 goodies that separate it from a regular Mustang, I think I'd bite and order one.

SINBUSTER007

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
19 Edge ST, 17 Escape, 12 Boss, 15 GT, 66 V8 Coupe Auto, Kids Boss 302
have to see what actually comes out and how much. i want another mustang, and still looking for a Clean, low mileage 2004 Comp Orange Mach 1, but depends on what shows up first i will decide if i am going for the new Mach 1 or will still try and look for the 2004.
wife said that since we have 2 already we cannot buy 2 more. budget will not allow. so either new or old.
if the 2021 Mach is offered in the Twister Orange that will be the color Choice. if that color is not offered then might make my choice easier to which one to buy.
patiently waiting.