Sponsored

2021 Mach 1 CONFIRMED in Leaked Ford Document!!!

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
It depends on the set-up in regards to power vs mpg. In a prius the focus is obviously mpg, in an NSX and Porsche 918 the focus is performance.
LOL you too! Those cars cost far more money!! Why even bring them up. A hybrid Mustang will not see any kind of appreciable performance gains on a modest budget. 10k (more than a Bullitt) might get you a couple tenths faster, 30-40k might get you a second better. Not sure they would sell many. I really don't see a hybrid version any time soon. More likely is the jump right to full electric....10 years from now.
Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Ok, so you are comparing those cars to a Mustang? Do you really think someone is going to pay that much for a Mach 1. It is not cheap to make a fast hybrid, much cheaper to make an economical one. I doubt you will see one for this very reason. If you want an economical Mustang, get the HiPo model. Or you will need to pay a lot for probably modest performance gains. I am sure Ford can make a hybrid Mustang to take out the GT500, but it will absolutely cost a lot more.
No, I am not comparing them to a Mustang. I am just pointing out that it can and has been done and will be done again. As I pointed out, the use of electrification to improve performance, not just fuel economy, is fairly new. That’s why there are no cars in the Mustang competitive set to use as examples. Yet. As I mentioned earlier, I had a conversation with FCA performance guru Tim Kuniskis. He was very clear in stating that FCA will be using electrification to improve performance. So will GM. And, with Aviator and soon Mustang, so will Ford.

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
LOL you too! Those cars cost far more money!! Why even bring them up. A hybrid Mustang will not see any kind of appreciable performance gains on a modest budget. 10k (more than a Bullitt) might get you a couple tenths faster, 30-40k might get you a second better. Not sure they would sell many. I really don't see a hybrid version any time soon. More likely is the jump right to full electric....10 years from now.
You asked about performance from hybrids, I responded with top examples for both mpg and performance. Both of those cars are fairly old and prices have/are dropping rapidly on the tech. For instance, the new e-hybrids from Porsche can be had in the $70k range iirc, eliminate the markup of the Porsche name and it’s easily conceivable to have one in a $55-65k Mach1 that sits between a GT and GT500.

Edit: oh, and there’s the fact that, ya know, Ford already stated that a hybrid was going to be announced in 2020.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
It would be a lot cheaper if Ford put it in the mach 1, just subtract the full retail price of a gen 3 coyote engine from that 22,599 price
I'd buy that - but the aluminator is not street legal :-(

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
True, but it very easily could be. The 52XS is just a cross plane version of the GT 350 engine with forged internals and billet oil pump gears. Lower the compression and add a blower and now its the GT 500 engine

Sponsored

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I would like to see Ford offer options that could be selected for all Mustangs. A buyer should be able to get the same racing stripes for all Mustangs. A buyer should be able to select a rear seat delete option for all Mustangs. The customer should be the one to determine what options he or she wants. A car does not have to go through a crash test to determine if it should have a racing stripe or rear seat delete.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I don't see parts mixing from the different engines, not for a special edition. Don't forget, the gen 3/bullitt heads are DI while the 350/500 heads are port injected only. Most likely the mach 1 engine will be the carryover bullitt engine, with maybe a slight hp bump, but I doubt it
In my opinion using the GT350 or GT500 heads and making the Mach port injection only would make it more desirable over the DI/PI combos we have now with the base GT engine. But you definitely could be right. What sucks is the displacement is limiting performance at this point. They need to start bumping up the displacement soon in order to increase the power. And not to 5.2, that's way too small of a bump.

If Ford is smart they’ll make a drag street/strip focused Mach 1.
And yes, I’d expect parts sharing to make a unique combo.
I’d like to see a 12:1 5.2 cross plane crank with porting, basically a ported head, good intake Gen 3.
GT350 Tremec with 4.09s or 10R with 3.73s and 8000rpm fun.
Forget the road course, go after SRTs strangle hold on drag muscle cars.
-J
For the strip they should make a blower car IMO. The GT500 is set up pretty well for the strip. Or they need more displacement. The current gearing is not set up well for launching either, especially with a small displacement high winding engine. The automatic version will do well at the strip, but the manuals aren't geared right.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The automatic version will do well at the strip, but the manuals aren't geared right.
and the number of manuals that live at the drag strip as a function of all manuals is? Probably damn close to zero. I think 1-5 being close(r) ratio would be an improvement wit 6th being the only overdrive gear.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
In my opinion using the GT350 or GT500 heads and making the Mach port injection only would make it more desirable over the DI/PI combos we have now with the base GT engine. But you definitely could be right. What sucks is the displacement is limiting performance at this point. They need to start bumping up the displacement soon in order to increase the power. And not to 5.2, that's way too small of a bump.
The 350 and 500 heads are the exact same, even the cams have the exact same profile, just use different firing orders. The limiting factor for displacement is the block design, small bore and a short deck and a small bore spacing. About the biggest bore you could get is a 3.75 with a sleeved block and with a stroker crank you might be able to get a 5.3/maybe 5.4 out of a coyote but that would be it.

If the the v-8 is on life support like everyone says then why not go out with a bang and give us a 400+ cube cam in block v-8 as a last hurrah before everything goes small turbo 4's and electric.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The 350 and 500 heads are the exact same, even the cams have the exact same profile, just use different firing orders. The limiting factor for displacement is the block design, small bore and a short deck and a small bore spacing. About the biggest bore you could get is a 3.75 with a sleeved block and with a stroker crank you might be able to get a 5.3/maybe 5.4 out of a coyote but that would be it.

If the the v-8 is on life support like everyone says then why not go out with a bang and give us a 400+ cube cam in block v-8 as a last hurrah before everything goes small turbo 4's and electric.
I personally by far prefer the character and power production of Ford's DOHC V8 over a modern pushrod engine. Either version of what you are saying is a redesign to an engine, but with modern tools I don't think it's that big of a deal. Ford redesigns engines all the time. The Coyote has been around for a long time. We are overdue for a major redesign to support the next jump in power.

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
No, I am not comparing them to a Mustang. I am just pointing out that it can and has been done and will be done again. As I pointed out, the use of electrification to improve performance, not just fuel economy, is fairly new. That’s why there are no cars in the Mustang competitive set to use as examples. Yet. As I mentioned earlier, I had a conversation with FCA performance guru Tim Kuniskis. He was very clear in stating that FCA will be using electrification to improve performance. So will GM. And, with Aviator and soon Mustang, so will Ford.
Ok no kidding you can with enough money use hybrid tech to improve performance. I was never asking if it could be done or had been done. The question is will it be done for more than an incremental improvement? I think the answer is no. Not to say they won't do it and market it to appeal to someone. I really think it is cost prohibitive in the sense that to get real improvements, you will need to spend quite a bit to get it. That is why only a few very expensive cars have it. As for Tim K....FCA and every other car manufacturer need to comply with local C02 regs in Europe especially if they want to continue to see some of their models. I would bet that they are doing it for that more than performance.

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
You asked about performance from hybrids, I responded with top examples for both mpg and performance. Both of those cars are fairly old and prices have/are dropping rapidly on the tech. For instance, the new e-hybrids from Porsche can be had in the $70k range iirc, eliminate the markup of the Porsche name and it’s easily conceivable to have one in a $55-65k Mach1 that sits between a GT and GT500.

Edit: oh, and there’s the fact that, ya know, Ford already stated that a hybrid was going to be announced in 2020.
Where did I say performance could not be achieved with using hybrid tech? Where did I ask to have a list of examples? I actually stated it could be done but MPG's were the main reason to use that tech.

Never said they would not make a hybrid Mustang....only stated that it would either be overpriced for any performance or MPG gains. Are you thinking the hybrid Mustang will cost in line with a Bullitt or a GT350 and have far better performance and MPG gains than what I mentioned?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I personally by far prefer the character and power production of Ford's DOHC V8 over a modern pushrod engine.
the Camaro engine isn't nearly so 'heavy thrashy' as the Coyote3 (the trans bushing insert may play a role). The Borla street+Steeda H-pipe sound good but not as sonorous as the GM dual-mode factory exhaust. The Coyote has step-functions in it's power delivery and a "motorcycle-like" rush as the revs approach redline vs the GM that one can tell is running out of breathing capacity. I like both almost equally though. But if I want true exhilaration I go with 2 wheels be it FZ09, Monster1200 or RSV4 tuono.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I personally by far prefer the character and power production of Ford's DOHC V8 over a modern pushrod engine. Either version of what you are saying is a redesign to an engine, but with modern tools I don't think it's that big of a deal. Ford redesigns engines all the time. The Coyote has been around for a long time. We are overdue for a major redesign to support the next jump in power.
The only reason I suggested a cam in block is they are simple and cheaper and cam in block allows for a much bigger cam than what the modular/coyote does. The modular was first introduced in 91 in the town car and as a 5.4 in the trucks in 97. Those went all the way to 11 when it had a major redesign into the coyote. The yote block uses the same deck height and bore spacing as a 4.6 block and also has the same bellhousing pattern and motor mount bosses on the side (the 5.4 was just a tall deck 4.6) A tall deck coyote block is out of the question for the current S-550, there is no room. With the current plasma wire arc cylinder walls used in the gen 3 yote and the 5.2's, ford could siamese the cylinder walls to maximize the bore size up to around a 3.85 or so and with a stroker crank maybe hit the magic 351 cubes.
Sponsored