Bullitt Shopping...first impressions

Bishop295

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
93 GT
Hi everyone. I’ve been a long time lurker in this forum, as I’ve had my eye on the bullitt since it’s release. With the current financing offers out there, I finally went and drove one yesterday. I’ve owned an 88gt, 98 roush, 99 cobra, and 07 GT in the past. Currently have a 93 GT with a 331, vortech and tko.
I’ve watched every YouTube review and read every article, and as you well know the opinions are all over the place. I even saw some chubby guy in his little brother’s t shirt say that Bullitt isn’t “culturally relevant.” Blasphemy! I was cautious of the fact that so many have sat on local lots for a long time, so I was prepared to be disappointed.
Anyway, I’ll give my impressions and then throw some questions out there.
First, the exterior. That Green, tho. It’s beautiful, classy, and different but subtle. It’s the only mustang, including Shelbys, that my wife likes the looks of. I’m not a fan of the red calipers, but that’s easy enough to change. Even the catfish front fascia somehow looks better on this car.
Interior- I’m 6’6” and this car had far more front legroom than any of my other mustangs. This car had the Recaro seats, which I found snug but supportive. They look great, too. I brought my 5 year old along because both of my boys are constant cruising/car show companions. His booster seat fit fine in the rear, but he had to sit Indian style. There is actually less room in the rear than my 93 GT. The poor guys foot fell asleep on the short cruise. From a quality/tech standpoint I was honestly a little overwhelmed by all of the buttons, knobs, switches and screens. This car had the tech package. I’m under 40 years old and moderately tech savvy, but there is a lot going on. I prefer simple, clutter free interiors.
Driving- The exhaust sound on startup is unique and fantastic. I kept the exhaust in track mode and it is pure horsepower music anytime you have your foot in it. It’s also eerily quiet at cruising speed, which was new to me since I’m coming from a cammed 331.
Clutch...what clutch? It was honestly so numb that I found it to be the biggest disappointment of the driving experience. I hear Steeda has a solution. I didn’t have any issues with the much maligned gearbox from a “feel” standpoint. Coming from a lighter, more powerful car I was afraid the Bullitt would be underwhelming, but it was a blast to blast down entrance ramps. It’s highway manners are sooo smooth that you could get into serious trouble if you take your eyes off of the speedo. Unlike my past mustangs, this is a real cruiser. The tall gearing is obvious and unfortunate, as I never even made it into 6th on my short highway stint. On the highway and backroads I didn’t find the lack of low end torque to be too apparent.
Final thoughts
I really enjoyed the Bullitt. It was infinitely more refined than previous mustangs, but still fun. I love the looks and the sound. At $53k sticker, I don’t think I would do it. However, I’m guessing I could get it for about $10k less and 0% for infinity. That makes it a steal, in my opinion. The GT350 is also on my radar, but with the deep discounts, the Bullitt is almost 20k less now. Is the Shelby 20k better? Guess it’s time for another test drive.
I need to make my mind up soon.

Thanks for letting me share my thoughts.
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
So, what was the question(s)? I have the 'gray' 6-pots (2000 mi) if you want to jettison the red ones. You'll have to put the kid in the passenger side to have any hope of leg room. Around here the 53K cars are 45-47K before haggling. I concur that compared to the previous gen the S550 feels "numb and remote" but it's deceptive since it drives so much better.

I never had any problem with the stock clutch. But I will definitely give the Steeda spring an upvote.

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
Shame you couldn't have yanked that clutch pedal assist spring during your test drive...you'd had a much better opinion..

Last edited:
OP
OP

Bishop295

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
93 GT
So, what was the question(s)? I have the 'gray' 6-pots (2000 mi) if you want to jettison the red ones. You'll have to put the kid in the passenger side to have any hope of leg room. Around here the 53K cars are 45-47K before haggling. I concur that compared to the previous gen the S550 feels "numb and remote" but it's deceptive since it drives so much better.

I never had any problem with the stock clutch. But I will definitely give the Steeda spring an upvote.
It does drive much better. The back seat might be a deal breaker, because I have to shove a 5 and 3 yo back there. I’ll have to play with the seats more to see if it could work.
My biggest question is more for myself...This isn’t going to be a daily driver for me, so I want something that calls me out to the garage on nice days. Something special to drive. I’ve also spent more time modding most of my mustangs than driving them. With 2 little ones, I just don’t have the time(or patience) anymore. Will I be happy with the Bullitt the way it is?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Will I be happy with the Bullitt the way it is?
impossible to say. But whatever you do, get the Magneride option. The Recaros are 50/50. Some people love them, others hate them. If you're only gong to be driving for 2hrs at a time then love/hate is probably not important. Does the wifey like the Recaros? Seat-wise you might try shortening the steering wheel and moving farther up than you might otherwise default to - lots of people (incl me) tend to sit way back and only after some conditioning realize that moving up is actually pretty decent. But the mustang is fundamentally a 2 seater to call it a 4 is false advertising. I wouldn't in good faith even call it a 2+2.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Bishop295

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
93 GT
impossible to say. But whatever you do, get the Magneride option. The Recaros are 50/50. Some people love them, others hate them. If you're only gong to be driving for 2hrs at a time then love/hate is probably not important. Does the wifey like the Recaros? Seat-wise you might try shortening the steering wheel and moving farther up than you might otherwise default to - lots of people (incl me) tend to sit way back and only after some conditioning realize that moving up is actually pretty decent. But the mustang is fundamentally a 2 seater to call it a 4 is false advertising. I wouldn't in good faith even call it a 2+2.
The one I drove had magneride and was very well balanced. The wife likes the looks of the Recaro seats, and I didn’t find them uncomfortable during my short drive.
The bullitt would definitely be the easiest to talk my wife into. She loves the color and there is less sticker shock compared to other cars on my short list (gt350, challenger hellcat).

Beetleything

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rocket Ship - Space Cadet :)
I even saw some chubby guy in his little brother’s t shirt say that Bullitt isn’t “culturally relevant.” Blasphemy! :cwl::cwl::cwl::cwl: :clap:

DSNOD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
If you have to dive in the back for kids, the recaro /manual seats might be better vs the painful slow motors of the regular seats. I have a 14 and 13 year old daughter and I'm 6'1" and all 4 of us fit for short rides which was a requirement. Else I'd have waited for a C8. The backseat is not real practical or comfortable, but doable. My girls are willing to suffer in the back because of the cool factor. I can't offer anything on the car seats, but if you are serious about- take a test drive with the entire family and see how they fit and what it would be like living with it.

I lived through the last 14 years of sedans... and still have one, but it sits around now because the Bullitt is so damn fun, I drive it whenever/wherever I can.

Ps, confirmed the steeda spring fixes the clutch feel.

aileron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dick
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt K1191, '20 BMW X3 M40i, '17 BMW 440xi, '14 Ram truck...and 19 old Triumph motorcycles
Calipers are an easy fix, same with the clutch via the Steeda spring/perch

UWDpdxz.jpg

OP
OP

Bishop295

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
93 GT
Calipers are an easy fix, same with the clutch via the Steeda spring/perch

UWDpdxz.jpg
Looks good. What type of paint did you use?

Sponsored
OP
OP

Bishop295

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
93 GT
If I do decide to purchase, what should I look out for at the pre delivery inspection? I did notice that the hood needed aligned.

RozzGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Check the rear too, mine is terrible but within specs according to Ford. Driver side deck lid has about a 1/2" step up and the passenger side is flush which means the entire deck lid is probably warped. I tried adjusting everything to no avail, the only way I could bring it down was to sink the other side as well and just mirror the issue.

aileron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dick
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt K1191, '20 BMW X3 M40i, '17 BMW 440xi, '14 Ram truck...and 19 old Triumph motorcycles
Looks good. What type of paint did you use?
2-part polyurethane with a poly clear coat over the whole caliper after the black poly brembo logo was applied - color is Audi Nardo Gray

IceAge

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
GG
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500, 2022 GT500, 2020 GT Mustang, Raptor,
Good posting and insight on your future possible ride. And decisions decisions and wife and kids damn you got a lot going on. But a mans gotta have his escape vehicle no matter what the circumstances and what better way to escape then the Mustang. Your ending question was about the 350 and good way to think thru your options as well. I own various vehicles and presently have 3 new Mustangs being the 19 GT Premium 10spd auto, New GT500 and just picked up the Bullitt. I had a 17 GT350 which just didn’t fit the seat of my pants. The Voodoo motor in the 350 is a pure all out race motor designed to be driven hard to get the excitement factor. You have to rev her to 4500 plus rpms to get the power out if her and keep pushing that gas pedal to row the gears. She’s slow and I mean slow off the line unless your racing the motor which then everyone off the green light thinks your racing them. The Recaro's will wear you out after an hour or more but as mentioned getting to the back seats will be better. You mentioned you like modding but don’t have the time anymore and I get that being a married man. But don’t buy the Bullitt if you may keep her a long time and mod her since IMO you just ruined the Retro car concept. The Bullitt for sure is a great all around spirited out of the box car which is why I picked her up. She’s definitely lighter then my GT500 and the manual really is fun and especially with the rev matching. You mentioned the deals on financing and not sure the Bullitt will have the giveaway deals since it’s a specialty car. So if this a reason to buy now be sure to verify since my Ford dealer told me they do not qualify. This was about three weeks ago and maybe things have changed. I own the Dodge products as well and if you could get excited about a 4 door then the Charger Scat Pak SRT set up is awesome. I have owned the SRT’s and Hellcats and can honestly tell you the Charger is a blast and awesome family fun time haul ass bang for the buck. You should just for fun drive one and price range is high 30s to 40s with discounts fully loaded. No manual but hell of a package. And yeah if your Mustang bound I get it and the Bullitt won’t be a disappointment. You mentioned you watch YouTube and here is my review as well.

40FFB6FC-EA09-4453-BDB1-F0F5A43B7C75.jpeg
3806A0F3-4918-415B-8E5A-8068040FAC21.jpeg
7B3EC210-A458-4CD0-B851-549A713FDFAA.jpeg
87E631FD-5B9B-412D-AE71-CACE60FD9754.jpeg
03E54047-F0BD-47AF-A928-A4FE1BF8C554.jpeg

OP
OP

Bishop295

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
93 GT
Good posting and insight on your future possible ride. And decisions decisions and wife and kids damn you got a lot going on. But a mans gotta have his escape vehicle no matter what the circumstances and what better way to escape then the Mustang. Your ending question was about the 350 and good way to think thru your options as well. I own various vehicles and presently have 3 new Mustangs being the 19 GT Premium 10spd auto, New GT500 and just picked up the Bullitt. I had a 17 GT350 which just didn’t fit the seat of my pants. The Voodoo motor in the 350 is a pure all out race motor designed to be driven hard to get the excitement factor. You have to rev her to 4500 plus rpms to get the power out if her and keep pushing that gas pedal to row the gears. She’s slow and I mean slow off the line unless your racing the motor which then everyone off the green light thinks your racing them. The Recaro's will wear you out after an hour or more but as mentioned getting to the back seats will be better. You mentioned you like modding but don’t have the time anymore and I get that being a married man. But don’t buy the Bullitt if you may keep her a long time and mod her since IMO you just ruined the Retro car concept. The Bullitt for sure is a great all around spirited out of the box car which is why I picked her up. She’s definitely lighter then my GT500 and the manual really is fun and especially with the rev matching. You mentioned the deals on financing and not sure the Bullitt will have the giveaway deals since it’s a specialty car. So if this a reason to buy now be sure to verify since my Ford dealer told me they do not qualify. This was about three weeks ago and maybe things have changed. I own the Dodge products as well and if you could get excited about a 4 door then the Charger Scat Pak SRT set up is awesome. I have owned the SRT’s and Hellcats and can honestly tell you the Charger is a blast and awesome family fun time haul ass bang for the buck. You should just for fun drive one and price range is high 30s to 40s with discounts fully loaded. No manual but hell of a package. And yeah if your Mustang bound I get it and the Bullitt won’t be a disappointment. You mentioned you watch YouTube and here is my review as well.

40FFB6FC-EA09-4453-BDB1-F0F5A43B7C75.jpeg
3806A0F3-4918-415B-8E5A-8068040FAC21.jpeg
7B3EC210-A458-4CD0-B851-549A713FDFAA.jpeg
87E631FD-5B9B-412D-AE71-CACE60FD9754.jpeg
03E54047-F0BD-47AF-A928-A4FE1BF8C554.jpeg
I enjoyed your review, and you’ve got quite an impressive muscle car fleet!

Dealers in my area started offering 0% for 84mos and no payment for 90 days on the bullitt...hard to pass up!
Sponsored